GP vids! Awesome stun lock Vigilant Strike build! Very cheap. Great dps, survivability, clear speed!

Welcome to one of the first ever Vigilant Strike builds. Vigilant strike is a very powerful attack with the downside of having a cooldown. However this cooldown can be bypassed by expending an endurance charge. And I get a constant flow of endurance charges by using Endurance Charge on Melee Stun linked to my Vigilant strike, and stun locking everything. This is a very good way to not only do large amounts of damage but also keep yourself from taking damage because everything around you is stunned, you always have fortify active, and you always have max endurance charges. Keep in mind the version I did cost me about 2 exalts, however I have included a section for a budget version which costs only about 20 - 25 chaos! I am currently level 85, however I am flying up the levels quickly. I will update the build again once I get to level 90 or so. Currently I am getting a tooltip DPS of about 38-40K with my Flame Golem, Herald of Ash, max frenzy charges, And an average damage Rallying Cry, however for some reason it feels like a lot more! Maybe it's because I have such a large area of effect. Then with the Atziri's Promise, I get another 10k or so on top of that so it can get pretty good when I need it to be. Anyway, without further ado, let’s jump right into it!
Gear
The only required gear piece is:

This is a great weapon for my build for both obvious reasons such as the awesome stun duration, and the great damage per hit, but also more niche reason like the reduced accuracy is ignored because Vigilant strike can’t miss. For the non-budget version I strongly suggest getting a 5L and putting Vigilant strike in it, as the Increased AOE is quite useful. My fairly low rolled 5L here cost me only 35 chaos.

For the majority of item slots it's best to just get a decent rare, here is my helmet, chest, gloves, and boots:

Most of these gear pieces are pretty regular, the only required mod is the mana leech. You must have at least about 0.3% mana leech from somewhere if you are using Vigilant strike with 5 support gems. If you are using it with 4, You should still get at least 0.2% or else you will need to carry a mana flask with you. (Believe it or not that almost perfect roll of mana leech was a first time craft!)

Jewelry:

I find the Doryani's invitation quite good because not only does it give great resistances, but it also gives phys damage and the flask thing can be very useful for certain bosses. As for the other jewelry, I suggest rares with life and resistances! And some flat phys here and there is good too. (keep in mind that elemental resistances don't have to be over-capped very much for this build because you get a lot from having max endurance charges which you always will.

Flasks:

The required flask mods are: Two life flasks, an un-freeze flask (Otherwise you will die on freeze strongboxes), An anti-bleeding flask (duh), a granite flask of iron skin, and a quicksilver flask. I would also suggest Atziri's promise because it's awesome (especially if You are using Doryani's Invitation because of the extra reduced stun threshold for bosses).

Gems
Here are my current gem setups:

Vigilant Strike - Multistrike - Melee Splash - Endurance Charge on Melee Stun - Melee Physical Damage - Increased Area of Effect
Herald of Ash - Enlighten - Arctic Armour - Clarity
Leap Slam - Warlord's Mark - Faster Attacks - Increased Area of effect
Blood Rage - Rallying Cry - Enduring Cry - Increased Duration
Vengeance - Summon Flame Golem - Life Leech - Endurance Charge on Melee Stun

I would strongly suggest running blood rage because it gives a great DPS boost, good leech boost, AND it doesn't even really cost anything because I have enough life regen to negate the degen!

I use Enduring Cry before the first pack of the map and if I run out of endurance charges in the middle of the map just to secure that I don't stop being able to use Vigilant Strike in the middle of fighting. Otherwise I use Rallying Cry, It is very useful and quick to cast, I recommend you work it into your play style, which is surprisingly easy to do I found.

Other stuff
Bandits:
Normal: Help Oak
Cruel: Help Oak
Merci: Help Kraityn (or Oak if you are more concerned about being tanky)

Jewels:
I am currently using these four jewels, mostly self-crafted, and deffinitly nothing to write home about, I will probably upgrade my jewels a bit once Warbands/Tempest end.

Golem:
I am using a Fire Golem, and I would suggest you do the same, however if you are a little scared about dying, or are trying this build in Hardcore, which I think is doable, then probably go with the Chaos Golem.

Budget Version
For the budget version of this build, don't get a 5L Marohi Erqi, and instead get a 4L and socket Leap Slam, Warlord's Mark, Faster Attacks, and Reduced Mana into it. Then get a decent 5L chest which can be very cheap and put the Vigilant Strike setup into that instead of the Marohi. Then instead of allocating the "Revelry" Mana cluster down near the duelist, take the extra endurance charge duration node and spec the extra two points into some extra damage, life, or armour.

Gameplay Videos
Plateau
Plateau
Map level: 77
Character level: 86
Map Mods
Area has patches of burning ground
Area contains many totems
Players are cursed with Elemental Weakness
Monsters poison on hit
Unique boss has 30% increased life
Unique boss has 25% increased area of effect

Gorge
Gorge
Map level: 76
Character level: 85
Map Mods
(Mods to note are in bold)

Area contains many totems
Monsters have 30% increased area of effect
Monsters have 282% increased critical strike chance
Monsters have 30% increased critical strike multiplier
+30% monster physical damage reduction
Unique boss deals 30% increased damage
Unique boss has 25% increased attack and cast speed
I am a shadow. I was born the youngest daughter of a respected family, raised to fight, weep and bleed for God and the Order. I would have died to keep my mouth shut. Professional integrity, it's called. That lord sang a different tune once I had taken their children.
Last edited by jugglereli on Oct 1, 2015, 8:50:11 PM
Sorry, but I've already seen Vigilant Strike builds, so I would remove the "first" part.

Otherwise, cool build!
"
wyvernfist wrote:
Sorry, but I've already seen Vigilant Strike builds, so I would remove the "first" part.

Otherwise, cool build!

Really? Damn...
Are you sure you've seen a constant attacking vigilant striker? Because I searched all class forums, and the almighty Google and got nothing...
I am a shadow. I was born the youngest daughter of a respected family, raised to fight, weep and bleed for God and the Order. I would have died to keep my mouth shut. Professional integrity, it's called. That lord sang a different tune once I had taken their children.
Im about to do something similar to this but 1h + shield not 2h using kingsguard armour + redblade banner shield + alphas howl focusing on warcrys and auras for team support

Hows your stun rate? iv always thought stun builds didnt use multistrike
"
LazyZunde wrote:
Hows your stun rate? iv always thought stun builds didnt use multistrike

That's what I thought exactly, especially when fighting bosses? I guess it's quite good since I don't see any endurying cry in your set up.
IGN: AlCohonez, GhengizCohen
Last edited by piotras on Sep 14, 2015, 12:37:39 PM
I stun normal/magic/rare mobs 100% of the time for at least 1 second as the cool stun status ailment shows. I can stun most map bosses and almost all of them if I use warlord's mark and my atziri flask. (I forgot to go over flask, I'll add that) I do use enduring cry, and it is there in the "Gems" tab. And I use enduring cry on the first pack of a map to make sure I don't run out of endurance charges, and on the few map bosses I can't stun. (With enduring cry and sometimes kitting the bosses into regular mobs I can stun, I can solo any boss most other build can) But throughout the vast majority of content I get plenty of endurance charges from stunning everything and am free to use Rallying Cry. As for multistrike, I started out not using it with Added Fire damage instead, but I came across the problem that I would run out of endurance charges quite often because I could only get 1 charge per use of a charge (it doesn't give me 3 charges if I hit 3 mobs with one git), and if I missed, I would run out and had to use Enduring Cry. Multistrike accomplishes two things: it allows me to get 3 charges per use of a charge, and it also makes it so if I accidentally activate the skill without an enemy targeted, chances are that I will still hit at least one mob with the two consecutive auto-attacks, making me not run out of charges. And I can still reliable stun everything. I wouldn't suggest using Kingsguard. I, too, thought of it right off the bat when making this build and actually started with using it. I was very unimpressed. The defensive options are pretty minimal, and the 100 life gain on endurance charge consumption is really quite unless because it's really only 100 life about once a second, and also for the same reason that life regen isn't particularly useful: I stun lock everything, so I don't have much damage that I need recovering from, only large bursts of damage here and there that 100 life per second can't do much for. It's better to just use a potion or two.
oh cool thanks for clearing that up ^^ ill probs use ambu's then so i share my endurance charges with my team for that extra team beef
If you want to stun bigger bosses more frequently, get a rare girdle with the "reduced stun treshhold" mod - it helps a lot and you have 200 more life.

Something like that only better resistences and additional strength:

Edit:
And with only 135% Crit from this one cluster I think it would be better to go resolute technique - no hassle with missing and maintaing a more consistent stunlock.

Crits are only really good when you have a big multiplier and more % to crit, which is hard to archive with a 5% crit weapon. With the saved points perhaps breaking through to templar to get amplify for even more AOE stun?

Last edited by Llyrain on Sep 15, 2015, 1:10:08 PM
The builds looks very cool, a mix of your typical stunner but with a endurance charge twist. It's impressive that you survive with <70% life! I've got a marohi lying around in standard that I could 5-link and I'll be definitely giving this one a go.

The way I see it is that Vigilant strike is great because of best base damage of any melee skill, includes a fortify support gem and still allows for critical strikes with 100% accuracy at no dexterity investment. On the other hand you 'waste' slots for endurance charge on melee stun and you need to use the hands down worst melee support - melee splash - as your makeshift AoE, which cuts down your singe-target tool-tip dps from 36 k to 21 k AoE at max level - but hey, I guess that makes it balanced!

EDIT:

"
Llyrain wrote:
And with only 135% Crit from this one cluster I think it would be better to go resolute technique - no hassle with missing and maintaing a more consistent stunlock.

I agree that the the crit cluster by itself doesn't make much of a difference but he doesn't need RT because it's in-build in the skill already - it can't be evaded.

IGN: AlCohonez, GhengizCohen
Last edited by piotras on Sep 15, 2015, 1:36:02 PM
69% increased life? How? Why? Video?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info