Drop rate thoughts from a diehard player- fun / struggle / balance

The drop rate in most F2P games decrease as the quantity of sites that sell gear for real money increase.

This leads one to believe that game companies are simply "if you can't beat em join em, screw that beat em too"

I have no proof, except how I watch all great games, even this one, decrease their drop rates continuously to a point where it finally pushed out all of the new people and just left elite and diehard players.

My suggestion stop nerfing drop rates. (Removing Quantity items?????) ~_~

If a game is not rewarding .. why play?
Don't we play this to escape real life anyways?
Why would we want real life (struggle) here?

Please don't follow the "Blizzard" model.
I'm a Self found player. None of the following items was achieved on the basis of trade. It's just drop mine, and nobody else... And of course, this is not all that I have.

So the question is, what the hell are you talking about?

Bethesda is known for having good ideas and terrible realization of them. GGG is a Bethesda subsidiary or what?
I will say that my totem guy with about 200 IIR found a lot more stuff than my cyclone guy I enjoy a lot more but has hardly any IIR. I feel like that's a problem.
Which league are you playing? There is no long term decrease in drop rates in POE, on the contrary, the last patch included a significant increase in the drop rates of very rare unique items.
There is however major wealth accumulation in standard. If you start a new account in standard now and then play for a month you will be relatively poorer than if you had done the same thing 2 years ago, not because you drop less but because there are people who have been gathering stuff for 2 years. If on the other hand you play in the leagues that start every couple of months this effect entirely disappears, everybody starts with zero wealth and your relative wealth depends only on your play in this league, so long term players have no advantage (apart from possibly better knowledge of game mechanics).
In fact, in my personal experience, as far as wealth relates to character strength, it is much easier now to make strong characters than it was one or two years ago. Although I believe this is more related to new features like masters or jewels that allow you to make stronger characters with the same amount of currency.
"
quarague wrote:
Which league are you playing? There is no long term decrease in drop rates in POE, on the contrary, the last patch included a significant increase in the drop rates of very rare unique items.
There is however major wealth accumulation in standard. If you start a new account in standard now and then play for a month you will be relatively poorer than if you had done the same thing 2 years ago, not because you drop less but because there are people who have been gathering stuff for 2 years. If on the other hand you play in the leagues that start every couple of months this effect entirely disappears, everybody starts with zero wealth and your relative wealth depends only on your play in this league, so long term players have no advantage (apart from possibly better knowledge of game mechanics).
In fact, in my personal experience, as far as wealth relates to character strength, it is much easier now to make strong characters than it was one or two years ago. Although I believe this is more related to new features like masters or jewels that allow you to make stronger characters with the same amount of currency.

I also don't understand his reference to Blizzard. In D3 they've increased the drop rates to the point of finding several legendaries per hours of playing. I mean you get bis in a couple of weeks of casual gameplay?

Every statement in OP seems to be somewhat contrary to my experience at least.
''It was nice but not really great'' in memory of rondanashu 13.4.2016
"
I will say that my totem guy with about 200 IIR found a lot more stuff than my cyclone guy I enjoy a lot more but has hardly any IIR. I feel like that's a problem.

You can easily fit some IIR onto most RT characters.

Then I will simply blame the RNG for my excessively persistent bad luck.

Decreasing the drop amount, increases the prices for items to a point where it become impossible for a regular grinder who does not want to spend real money to buy and try an item to make a build.

When something costs 10 exalts - this is impossible for me to come by. In all my hundreds of hours playing I have found a total of 3 exalts. Is this normal? Char lvls 79 and 77. So yeah, I am not high level, but even in trying to follow a build my characters die so often lvling becomes "luck".

In my entire time playing I have found
3 Exalts
0 Divine
6 Blessed
11 Regal
>100 Chaos
<100 Alchemy

But all of these items allowed my characters to lvl to their current point, even buying items in the market.

My point? They are "BALANCING" the game.... WHY? This makes no sense. I blame PVP.
Have your PVP gear, but stop screwing with the original.

Last edited by haleabus on Sep 18, 2015, 5:21:46 PM
"
haleabus wrote:
Then I will simply blame the RNG for my excessively persistent bad luck.

Decreasing the drop amount, increases the prices for items to a point where it become impossible for a regular grinder who does not want to spend real money to buy and try an item to make a build.

When something costs 10 exalts - this is impossible for me to come by. In all my hundreds of hours playing I have found a total of 3 exalts. Is this normal? Char lvls 79 and 77. So yeah, I am not high level, but even in trying to follow a build my characters die so often lvling becomes "luck".

In my entire time playing I have found
3 Exalts
0 Divine
6 Blessed
11 Regal
>100 Chaos
<100 Alchemy

But all of these items allowed my characters to lvl to their current point, even buying items in the market.

My point? They are "BALANCING" the game.... WHY? This makes no sense. I blame PVP.
Have your PVP gear, but stop screwing with the original.

I notice when I play with a group of friends that I know in RL, half of the group whines about the lack of item drops that are upgrades and the other half of the group is fine having to struggle to find upgrades.

I personally enjoy that the game is tough and that I have to struggle a bit to find upgrades. If I really want to get decked out in good gear I can easily just trade everything that I find (you have no idea what items you can actually sell.. I sell stuff that I never thought anyone would ever buy on a regular basis) and buy some items for myself that are more than good enough for me to do end game maps.

I dont really enjoy trading, but I have found ways to get by with the way it works today so im fine. I'd rather want the game to be as it is now, rather than having it rain uniques like Diablo 3 does. I get bored after 1-2 weeks playing D3 because my char is decked out and the only way to upgrade my gear is finding the same gear just with better rolls. Also you reach max level so fast there, if you dont count paragons which bascily is like very minor levels added on top of the normal levels because they realised the flaw in their game when it came to reaching max level in a day.

So I guess what im trying to say is, nobody will ever be able to make a game that everyone will enjoy, because people enjoy different things, and so this game might not be for you? Which is sad, but its the way of life.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
"
My suggestion stop nerfing drop rates.

1. GGG juts quadrupled unqiues drop rate...

2. It is not game design that create RMT, but people who have money and don't have time or don't enjoy grind.
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
"
kamil1210 wrote:
1. GGG juts quadrupled unqiues drop rate...

They didn't, they quadrupled drop weight for ultra rare uniques, uniques do not drop more than before. In 2.0 unique drop rate was buffed slightly because they added 30-odd unique jewels of which most are very common so your chance to get a non-jewel unique should be about the same.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info