Why does Cyclone feel so clunky?

So I recently went back to Diablo 3 to mess around during the start of their newest Season. Rolled a Barbarian cause I never played one and it seems that Whirlwind is pretty OP at the moment. WW is basically D3's version of Cyclone. It is everything I wish Cyclone would be. The movement is very smooth and fluid and you can change directions at any moment.

I just came back to finish my Tempest Cyclone Marauder to finish up the Challenge and its almost unplayable compared to what I had gotten used to in D3. When I play Cyclone I have to move short distances from my character and if theres a blade of grass in the way the ability is interrupted. Overall I still think PoE is a better game and has better replay value but man can someone please fix Cyclone so it isnt so damn clunky and awkward?
IGN: DabrixRN
Last edited by Thomasmgp on Sep 8, 2015, 5:15:08 PM
I might be remembering wrong, but I think it used to be a balance issue. If you want control, you have to spend a lot of mana and Cyclone near your current location. If you want to save mana, you have to Cyclone off into the distance and hope that you predicted your trajectory correctly.

Now that Cyclone mana cost has been lowered, however, I don't know if the developers would be open to some radical overhauls of the skill to allow for better control at no extra cost.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
I think I saw somewhere it would also be troublesome to convert it to 'follow mouse and mana cost per second' in PoE engine.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
raics wrote:
I think I saw somewhere it would also be troublesome to convert it to 'follow mouse and mana cost per second' in PoE engine.

yea know that you said something I do remember them mentioning changing how it works to make it smoother. Maybe its still in the works. Or like you said maybe they either cant fix it or it would take too much time. For such a popular build wish it felt smoother to play. But at the end of the day its still only one skill. Id rather them work on a bunch of other things then commit a bunch of man hours to just one thing.

But I guess I can still dream of the day where Cyclone plays as smooth as Whirlwind.
IGN: DabrixRN
Last edited by Thomasmgp on Sep 8, 2015, 5:59:56 PM
I just put mouse close to character if I know tht I will have to change directions, i have high regen, bloodmagic from tree so it is not problem for me.

Small things that block cyclone is the biggest problem. It is hard to see them or they have big invisible boundaries and sometimes cyclone can't be casted near them. I click somewhere and character isn't moving. I have to walk away or leap slam to use cyclone. Died to this couple of times.
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
Last edited by kamil1210 on Sep 8, 2015, 6:05:38 PM
Isn't this skill pretty much a copypaste of D2's Whirlwind? You can blame Blizzard and the D2 purists among the GGG developers. :)

Yeah GGG devs basically said "Hey let's copy/paste D2's whirlwind! There's absolutely no way people would get frustrated at that! It's not like there's been fifteen fucking years of development in the video games industry! What worked back then will work now!"
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
I wouldn't mind more attack while moving skills, personally. It makes the game much more enjoyable for me to be able to slide around somewhat gracefully.
"
I wouldn't mind more attack while moving skills, personally. It makes the game much more enjoyable for me to be able to slide around somewhat gracefully.

ya i love them.

Literally the 2 most fun builds Ive ever played in an arpg, and obviously this is entirely a personal thing, are the original d3 perma wotb tornado sprint whirlwind and the d3 vacuum condemn crusader. It such a shit game in so many ways and they obliterated that original ww builds mechanics long ago but regardless, no build in this game has ever been as fun for me as those 2 things in d3 in terms of just playing it. Breaks my heart d3 feels so pointless to play because I actually enjoy playing a vacuum crusader still even though the nerfed it.
I do agree that the most annoying thing with Cyclone is being blocked by random obstacles on the ground. Same thing with Leap Slam, Lightning Warp and so on... The skills should always trigger to the nearest position when activated.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info