Why do people keep saying "pay for content" and "pay to win" when this is not what those words mean?

Obviously it's totally OK and fine to have an opinion, be upset, even have a bout of full-on nerdrage concerning the state of maps and their symbiotic relationship with the economy and so on and so forth, but, the terms "pay for content" and "pay to win" not only have a precedent definition in the world of gaming but IMO a precedent definition in the etymology of the words themselves, and they just don't apply here.

Another way to put it: When Mario collects coins and gets a 1up, he's not paying for the content of another life in the game.

I only became surprised at this view when I saw some people repeat it that should "know better".

Also, before I'm accused of white-knighting for GGG, have it be know this IS exactly what I'm doing. P2W is a downright derogatory term now in gaming.

"Dude he fucking said hotdog racist.

Like I can't even make this shit up." - gj

1.0.0 Forum Posters now have 50% less Critical Thinking skill per Patch
Last edited by dickhole_mcghee on Sep 5, 2015, 2:58:38 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I would not call it pay2win, cause that has a specific meaning, and I would agree that that is a rather stupid thing to call it. I would call it paying for content, though, because I am paying for content (albeit with ingame currency).

I just put down a lot of ingame currency for maps, I bought maps. I paid for content. I would rather have I would not have had to, but I would just become too frustrated if I did not.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
Last edited by Char1983 on Sep 4, 2015, 10:24:31 PM
When you combine a lack of understanding of a thing with forced interaction with said thing, applied to large enough groups of people, the result is the development of superstitions. I mean, the rational behavior would be a combination of curiosity and an honest, candid confession that one simply does not know what's going on, but for some strange reason admitting ignorance seems to be too great a shame for many to bear. This is one of the most destructive forces within human nature.

When it comes to Path of Exile's economy, there is a lot of superstition. Especially when combined with reports of RMT and other malicious activity. The tinfoil hats go on, and the brains turn off.

I guess I should start: that whole Master Crafting Exalted Orb thing? Explains a lot of what was going on, and I had absolutely no idea it was occurring. Man, was I ever oblivious and ignorant to the truth.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Sep 5, 2015, 1:34:58 AM
Only place I heard the phrase is stash tabs which I happen to agree with.

It's a numbers game. Just like if you ask a few dozen girls out one will say yes eventually.

Same with items - more available to sell - more will sell. More stash tabs you have more you can make available to sell. More that sells more GG you can get.
Git R Dun!
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

It's a numbers game. Just like if you ask a few dozen girls out one will say yes eventually.

Same with items - more available to sell - more will sell. More stash tabs you have more you can make available to sell. More that sells more GG you can get.

Agree, have you ever tried to beat PoE with the default number of stash tabs? It is indeed pay2win, but is at least free2try.
"
ammenz wrote:

Agree, have you ever tried to beat PoE with the default number of stash tabs? It is indeed pay2win, but is at least free2try.

Define "beat".

1) daily use tab: Currency (upgrade via trade once it gets too much), maps for current chars
2) storage tab: stuff I want to keep, maps I want to keep but not run,
3) Recipe tab: Chaos (unid rings, amulets, belts), chisel (low maps), GCP (quality gems)
4) shop tab: stuff I want to sell for 5c+ (vendor the rest, chances are low someone will buy from you)

...done that for 3 leagues, only recently upgraded my stash tabs, but half of them are mostly empty because I still vendor 99.99% of drops.

The only benefit from the additional tabs I really have is that I can dedicate a full stash tab to chromatics, alts and jewellers (I traded them for chaos or ex before).
And that I can keep a bit more "levelling uniques" (before, I vendored them for 0.5 alch and bought them for 1 alch if I ever needed them).
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Sep 5, 2015, 6:34:26 AM
Guuhh... Yeah, I'm an asshole for starting a thread and then forgetting to respond... :S

Thanks for the replies, I'll be sure to respond in a bit.
"Dude he fucking said hotdog racist.

Like I can't even make this shit up." - gj

1.0.0 Forum Posters now have 50% less Critical Thinking skill per Patch
"
Aim_Deep wrote:

I agree with this to an extent; I'm pretty much a self found player, only traded for two or three items since Jan 2013. However, I'm heavily invested in stash tabs. Why? Two reasons really; 1) I'm a hoarder of in-game items. Did it with every game I've played, even if it required multiple accounts and mules. Always hated trading. 2) Hoarding allows me to try out so many more builds than if I only ran with the default number of tabs.

"
Guuhh... Yeah, I'm an asshole for starting a thread and then forgetting to respond... :S

Thanks for the replies, I'll be sure to respond in a bit.

lol.

Nice thread btw

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info