Sustaining 75/76/77 Maps /w Blue Rolls

Add to the story two more Residence maps that dropped a) 68+72 and b) nothing. So now I am down to 1 76 map. I alched both, both got packsize, didn't even bother to chisel any more.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
"
Whether or not you can sustain 75s ultimately has no bearing on endgame mapping.

75 maps are end game mapping. I wish GGG wouldnt add 79-82 maps so people would not write stupid thigs like this.

75 maps give the same xp in 2.0 and in 1.3.
Playes need the ame xp for lvl 100 is 2.0 and 1.3.
In 1.3 people would be happy with running 75 maps, in 2.0 they call them crap.
There is no problem with maps but with some players whu want everything but don't want to work for it.
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
Last edited by kamil1210 on Sep 4, 2015, 11:08:22 AM
"
Sivluu wrote:
I expect ppl to call it bad rng streak, I really got used to it :D. Just to let you know, my bad luck streak is here with me since almost 2 years.

I call this "normal" :)
Have a problem with something I said? PM goetzjam don't derail a thread.
'There's plenty that needs to change. And back in my day we had real game devs.' - TheAnuhart
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on February 30, 2016 0:61 PM

Help Charan color the board - use [u color] to make your posts shine.
"
kamil1210 wrote:
75 maps give the same xp in 2.0 and in 1.3.
Playes need the ame xp for lvl 100 is 2.0 and 1.3.
In 1.3 people would be happy with running 75 maps, in 2.0 they call them crap.
There is no problem with maps but with some players whu want everything but don't want to work for it.

No. There is a problem. I am fine with "working" (what a stupid word in the context of a game) my way up to high-level maps, but that "working up the map tiers" does not work, and in practice I have seen exactly one 80+ map. One. I got super lucky there, with a chain of three +2 map drops from the boss.

GGG designed content (79-82 maps), and I can only assume that they designed content for players. Forget about the XP, think about this: As a player, I would like to explore the content in this game. I can't. I have never played any 80+ map so far. Never. I would really like to find out what "phylacteral link" is and how it works, but I can't. I would love to find out whether my character is strong enough to beat the Village Ruin boss, but I can't.

I cannot even sustain 75+ maps. I fall back to 74.

See the problem there?
Last edited by Char1983 on Sep 4, 2015, 11:19:25 AM
As many others I've become extremely dejected by 2.0 mapping, and lately to the point where it's so frustrating it kills any enjoyment of the game and I basically log in to sit in my hideout waiting for a fun tempest to appear somewhere.

As I played Bloodlines about to the same extent I'm now playing Tempest I've been comparing these two mapping environments a fair bit and the current state is far, far worse. In Bloodlines (which didn't feature any of the +quantity, guaranteed map, +20 exiles, +10 spirits etc. tempests that occur in the Tempest league) you had variance the same way we do now and will always have with map drops being based on pseudo-randomness, but the overall sense was that in the longer run your mapping actually resulted in a map pool that was both slowly growing and extending upwards towards the highest level maps.
Not so in Tempest. Initially we had the map wall at 73-74 which was very hard to burst through for solo players, which patch 2.0.2 addressed with the grand effect that the same wall was pushed to 75-76 instead.
I haven't been keeping a log but I believe I've ran around 40 75s and 20 76s over the last week, doing a few each day before growing too annoyed by the lack of map drops to continue. I've been running the 75s around 80% quantity and the 76s around 100% with pack size. I've been killing all mobs, turning over every rock and smashing every barrel etc, killing all bosses except for Orchard and Residence. I'm now down to 1x75 and 3x76. I've had a single 77 drop (which blanked), met Zana in a 76 which gave me a 77 quest (which also blanked). A single +2 in a 75, no +1 or +2 in any of the 76s.
Being a temporary hardcore league I've got the obviously mistaken notion of being able to progress to the point where my build, gear or skill no longer is sufficient and I die. Skipping Tunneltrap is annoying and I could propably do it on maps with no +damage mods but that means rolling the map alot worse for quantity, but even if I'd killed it and Dominus on every map I ran that wouldn't have come anywhere close to sustainable map drops.

So I'm reduced to either spending 5c per map to buy 75s and 8c per map to buy 76s, sitting in my hideout waiting for a beneficial tempest in one of my remaining maps and putting my hope to the pseudo-randomness (ha!) or just not playing this league until drops are significantly adjusted upwards.
Fun times were had by all. Not.
Last edited by twitticles on Sep 4, 2015, 11:31:02 AM
"
Char1983 wrote:

No. There is a problem. I am fine with "working" (what a stupid word in the context of a game) my way up to high-level maps, but that "working up the map tiers" does not work, and in practice I have seen exactly one 80+ map. One. I got super lucky there, with a chain of three +2 map drops from the boss.

Well, that is working as intended. Those maps are supposed to be super rare (GGG said this explicitly), so that it feels really special when you do find one.

Personally I like this, because it means that even after playing thousands of hours, the game still occasionally gives me the feeling of something fresh, a new door to open, a new area to explore.

"
Char1983 wrote:

GGG designed content (79-82 maps), and I can only assume that they designed content for players. Forget about the XP, think about this: As a player, I would like to explore the content in this game. I can't. I have never played any 80+ map so far. Never. I would really like to find out what "phylacteral link" is and how it works, but I can't. I would love to find out whether my character is strong enough to beat the Village Ruin boss, but I can't.

I think there's a misconception about the way an F2P game is designed.

Contrary to a pay-to-play game, a free-to-play game _intentionally_ includes stuff that most of its players will never see. That's because the notion of "I want to see this" is important for people to keep playing, and only if they keep playing, there is a chance that they will spend more money. If an F2P game allowed you to see all of its content _without_ having to play for thousands of hours, then that would actually be considered a design failure. Because when players have seen everything in a game, then they are the most likely to quit.

In short: There is, necessarily, content that you aren't intended to get without putting in an inordinate amount of time. The design goal is to always have a carrot at the end of a long long stick.

And I believe that the maps are working as intended, in this way. You _will_ be able to do all the things that you want, _if_ you play long enough to eventually get a lucky streak and get one of the maps that you haven't seen yet. Whether you really want to play that long - that's your own decision of course, and probably depends on how much you're enjoying the basic gameplay.
"
Psyringe wrote:
"
Char1983 wrote:

I think there's a misconception about the way an F2P game is designed.

Contrary to a pay-to-play game, a free-to-play game _intentionally_ includes stuff that most of its players will never see. That's because the notion of "I want to see this" is important for people to keep playing, and only if they keep playing, there is a chance that they will spend more money.

... blabla

Best concept for a f2p: gate away endgame/items/fun and frustrate your playerbase as much as humanly possible... maybe they stick to the game and spend money because after thousand of hours they are still grinding the same stuff while hoping for gated stuff xD

Great concept... supporters are leaving and players that hardly spend any cent on this game defend GGGs politic... cool story bro :D
Have a problem with something I said? PM goetzjam don't derail a thread.
'There's plenty that needs to change. And back in my day we had real game devs.' - TheAnuhart
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on February 30, 2016 0:61 PM

Help Charan color the board - use [u color] to make your posts shine.
These troll posts certainly are attracting ppl. I just waiting for OPs redaction like Crackaddicts once RNG goes south.
Git R Dun!
@Psyringe: Sorry, I do not even know what to say to that. It feels like discussing with an alien from a strange planet where the goal in life is to paint the sky green using nothing but a toothbrush and no paint.

BTW, according to you, 1.3 was a massive design failure. Do you think it was?

It is not that 80+ map drops feel special to me. 76 map drops feel special to me.
"
Well, that is working as intended. Those maps are supposed to be super rare (GGG said this explicitly), so that it feels really special when you do find one.

Instead mapping in general feels absolutely awful.
Once upon a time it was normal to run the map shrine; I love that map but now will probably never run it outside of standard legacy as it has been deemed "super rare".

The sad part is most of those maps would have been challenging but instead we're stuck with relatively easy maps that can be chained with awfully difficult affixes.
Locking the difficulty away is stupid imo; I'm ok with my build strength being locked behind RNG/currency but the difficulty of the game as well? screw that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info