My Problem with the community as a Theorycrafter/Guide maker

"
Charan wrote:
The few guides I've posted have either been shot down for being adequate, not optimal (but guys, they looked AMAZING) or got destroyed by metagame shifts (RIP grenadier, but I believe that's still doable). So instead of aiming to be the maker of templates, I'm just another Johnny doing shit my own way and occasionally sharing it with people who appreciate the effort. Under no circumstances should you or anyone else attempt this at home...

Now and then I forget my place and think, whoa nelly, I've found A Good Build here, but the reality sets in before long that all I've done is found another original avenue to impressive-looking adequacy. :)

And I completely, 100% back your statement about the quiet achievers in your guild. If I recall correctly, the first 8/8 is usually a certain ACE member. That's why I didn't stick around, really. Way too quiet, way too achieving. Two things I sure as hell ain't. ;)

Like I said, I have no idea why they talk to me, I'm way too casual for them. And your name's come up a couple of times and I think we miss you too. In a sort of roundabout that-guy-was-colourful way.

And hey, your place is finding really impressive-looking adequacy. Impressive-looking is good. I like impressive-looking. Come back over for a visit sometime? I'll appreciate any efforts you share with us, I promise.

"
do you have any requirements for given level to consiver build works or not? Dunno, Atziri normal at 90 tops, with 1 6L or such?

My personal standard is, can it keep up with my guild in maps? Not every successful build is Atziri capable, just by virtue of how the build works (animate weapons comes to mind), but every successful build is map capable by definition.
How to make a build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/510084
Current guides: N/A
I don't write builds here because i'm too casual these days, but i'll offer some advice from when and where I did build guides.

Warmachine, a tabletop wargame with trump card mechanics similar to PoE and Magic. Factions specialized in certain mechanics. Like cygnar preferred ranged well rounded overall. Khador was high armour melee preferenced, but had burst of speed. Cryx was all about speed and degeneration. Menoth tried to tell everyone no.

When I wrote a build or guide I always added a faq for trump situations and how to deal with them in your current setup. Answering potential questions before they are asked will help curb a few bad apples and might take you more seriously.

Getting reconized as a known builder will probably be harder than any job you will ever get paid for. Unless you setup parnerships through twitch, youtube, whatever, and make it your job.

Goodluck, don't burn out.
There comes a time thief when jewels cease to sparkle, gold loses it's luster, throne room becomes a prison, and all that's left is a father's love for his child. - King Osric
I don't have time to theorycraft, and absolutely appreciate a well written guide. If it wasn't for guides-- I probably wouldn't play.

I always tweak them to my liking, but it sure is nice to have a plan to look at, and it makes it a lot more fun for me. Rather than extensive planning, I have a ton more fun grabbing a guide and launching myself out on the beach and going for it!

Thanks for all you do :)
Srry but there already is known the one true Slayer in this community :<
IGN: PojzonAbyss
[3.2] Immortal Indigon Poet's Pen Hirophant - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2129766
[3.1] Yamata No Orochi - Oni-Goroshi Jugg http://poeurl.com/bHB9
[2.4] The True Queen Of The Forest - Poison LA/BR Pathfinder http://poeurl.com/M6u [Retired]
"
OP is a troll, this is an amazing feeding

????
No good deed goes unpunished dude.

You give ppl free shit they ask for more.

You do build guides ppl bug you or give you shit.

If you do really good build guide you get your ass nerfed.

No good deed goes unpunished.

BTW - this applies IRL too. If you ever wanna see more ungrateful asshole ppl go to welfare row where they even tear up their own hoods.

#realtalkwithaim
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Sep 3, 2015, 1:57:45 PM
Reddit is full of sheep and you shouldn't take it seriously man...
It only depends on the first 1 or 2 comments. If the first 2 comments are negative, people will just follow and say the exact same shit to fit in because they are tools. They'll blindly follow popular people too. Have a popular streamer say that cauliflower tastes like shit, everyone will agree. Have the popular streamer say that cauliflower tastes good, everyone will agree. Sounds like highschool where everyone tries to fit it by blindly following a trend, doesn't it ;).
Had the first 2 comments in your thread been positive, you would have gotten mostly positive comments. Same goes for upvotes/downvotes. People's "opinions" are usually meaningless over there. Or pretty much anywhere tbh.

I browse this place for informations and shit, and because GGG seems to be more active on reddit than on their forums themselves.
Well to be fair, your last guide was https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1415549 which utilized my unique, but from reading the guild it was clear that you didn't quite understand a few things like Ice Crash only using the Main hand weapon and how local weapon stats (from Cameria's) affect your damage based on that fact. While the reddit thread (which led me to your guide) did have some vitriol, many of the comments were actually constructive in that they pointed out actual flaws in your build.

From your guide

170% Increased Physical Damage

Physical Damage is important with this build, because Ice Crash converts 50% of all physical damage to cold... so, the more physical damage, the more cold damage, the more damage damage!

11-32 Cold Damage

This isnt a major thing with this weapon... but, you know, damage is damage!

39% Increased Critical Strike Chance

Crit chance is a huge deal in this build, it is a crit build after all... its also vital for freezing, since crit with cold damage/skills = freeze, which then = shatter.. WHICH THEN = LOOTZ!

None of these things actually get used by Ice Crash if Cameria's is in your offhand.

I actually used Cameria's as the mainhand damage source for a crit ice crash build that I made into a video guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jha8AwfPIw , so it has some potential but at endgame is far surpassed by a few other uniques or a well rolled sceptre.

While the game is open ended and allows people to do what they want, by labeling your post a 'guide' you are implying an expertise that seemed to be lacking.
CharanJaydemyr:some people need to really rethink how they spend their money....I will trash this item if I ever find it on principle...I've seen much cleverer "troll" items get turned down, so I guess GGG gave up trying to enforce that one. Not GGG's finest hour.
poeurl.com/bD4E
"
Bars wrote:
Seriously, you should be happy your build didn't become massively popular, the daily spam of amazingly stupid questions is overwhelming :D

I think part of any (even moderately successful) guide is repetitive (not necessarily stupid) questions. Remember, a lot of players especially after a big patch like 2.0 are new to the game. I've been playing since O.B., so for me it seems like it's common knowledge that Added Chaos Damage won't support the PA cloud unless it's a quality gem, and at that it's inefficient. As an example.

But I remember when I had that exact same question myself, too. It seems a bit ridiculous until I remember that I was also once a rub-a-dub-Scrub. So I'm happy to answer those questions as many times as necessary to help people become better players.
Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.
Last edited by Serleth on Sep 3, 2015, 1:56:55 PM
RichMoney said:
"
by labeling your post a 'guide' you are implying an expertise that seemed to be lacking.

By labeling it a guide he claims he is an expert?!?!?

How does that follow? A guide is just that, a guide, he didn't label it a textbook.
Censored.
Last edited by kolyaboo on Sep 3, 2015, 2:15:38 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info