My Problem with the community as a Theorycrafter/Guide maker

"
Bex_GGG wrote:
"

Thanks again for the reply :) Made me smile :D

I am glad to hear that. You're very welcome! :) Keep your chin up and keep doing what you do. (Minus the worrying! :P)

Haha thanks Bex :D Will do :)
Twitch: twitch.tv/slayertip

Helping people with their builds, its somewhat a hobby, and a passion of mine, so don't be shy!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1715639 <--- Build help forums thread thingy.
"
Keep doing your thing and having fun with it. But do it for YOURSELF.

Making a great build in PoE is fine. But don't allow a hobby like this game to upset you in that way.

Playing video games is about fun and entertainment only. The second you begin to lose your grip on that reality, is the second it's time to take a break and reassess.

Balance and perspective, sir.

If I ever feel I wish to copy a tree and go shopping, yours will be the first I look into.

Be well and stay out of that smelly reddit joint. :)

:D Thank you :) I try my best not to lose that grip, but sometimes it can be overwhelming, thats normally when i just close down my PC, browse Imgur and just, relax a bit, if i can :P

If i may add, i also assess individuals skill tree and try to optimize it, and if you're in standard, 9 times out of 10, i will donate gear to help you optimize the build itself :)

I also advertise what i do on Steam (the poe forums there) and people add me, and ask me to make them this tree, or help them with their ideas, its what makes the game fun for me... kinda funny when you think about it, i guess i just love helping people.

Helping people with their builds, its somewhat a hobby, and a passion of mine, so don't be shy!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1715639 <--- Build help forums thread thingy.
You could just continue to focus on what you're doing on the steam forum. It seems your effort is being appreciated there. Do it on this forum as well.

The thing is, you shouldn't allow yourself to experience a downside as a result of what you're doing with PoE.

Hang around reddit long enough and you'll be assimilated into their collective. Stay out and stay REAL! We've got your back here, bro. :D
"
You could just continue to focus on what you're doing on the steam forum. It seems your effort is being appreciated there. Do it on this forum as well.

The thing is, you shouldn't allow yourself to experience a downside as a result of what you're doing with PoE.

Hang around reddit long enough and you'll be assimilated into their collective. Stay out and stay REAL! We've got your back here, bro. :D

haha i appreciate it <3 I do enjoy helping people in the Steam Forums aswell as the official PoE Forums, but yeah, i think ill stay clear from Reddit... :) Thanks for the support <3

Don't enter the sea if you don't want to get wet, my friend. Internet is an interesting place where people feel anonymous and able to write anything at all without repercussion, which makes them much ruder than in real life. It turns a lot of otherwise decent people into complete assholes. You shouldn't apply the same rules to anonymous and depersonalized internet communication as you apply to persona/real life one.

Don't take anything on the internet as personal, because it's not.

Also, you're apparently a nice guy, so you wouldn't write the hurtful stuff others are writing, which makes you think that when someone else writes something nasty, they are truly serious and passionate about it and it's extremely important. You have to understand that people are different and there is a huge population of online trolls who are casually rude because they don't care at all about other people's feelings, or maybe because they enjoy hurting emotionally vulnerable people like you.

I would recommend spending some time in 4chan's /b/ board, it's retarded in many ways, but you'll grow an amazingly thick skin there in no time :P
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Sep 3, 2015, 2:16:07 AM
"
Bars wrote:
Don't enter the sea if you don't want to get wet, my friend. Internet is an interesting place where people feel anonymous and able to write anything at all without repercussion, which makes them much ruder than in real life. It turns a lot of otherwise decent people into complete assholes. You shouldn't apply the same rules to anonymous and depersonalized internet communication as you apply to persona/real life one.

Don't take anything on the internet as personal, because it's not.

Yeah, i sort of learnt that the hard way :/ its hard to determine whose friend from foe on the internet, unless you know them personally.

I went and looked at 3 of your guides because of this thread, I ignore most guide threads on reddit. Since this seems to be important to you, I'm going to offer you some constructive feedback. None of the 3 guides that I looked at had videos of genuinely difficult content. The roughest thing I saw was a 77 plateau, and at one point you said 'if you die, who cares, it's standard.'

If you want people to watch your guides, you can't have that mindset. Most people play this game to Min/Max, particularly people that watch guides. If you don't give them what they want, they will let you know. Are your builds capable of doing uber? What about normal Atziri? That's the kind of thing you should post videos of. The type of player who doesn't really care about doing that sort of content is not the kind of character that looks at guides. Like you, they prefer to experiment.

Again, I'm not saying this to try and take shots, I'm only trying to help you understand what you will need to do if you want to make guides that people watch. You have to know your audience, and you have to decide which is more important to you. Making a build that you think is cool through experimentation, or making a build that others want to copy, which means 'To be OP.'

Neither way is 'The Right Way' to play the game, necessarily. 'The Right Way' is the one you enjoy, but there is no reason you can't do both kinds of builds.

I feel a bit of a heel posting this, but I really am only doing it to try and help you learn how to improve. Your builds are cool, but if you want people to be interested in following them, you will have to aim for OP over interesting. Good luck.
Anarchy/Onslaught T shirt
Domination/Nemesis T shirt
Tempest/War Bands T shirt
Added something else to my previous post, writing this to make sure you see it.

edit: also, reboticon speaks the truth. Being passionate about something does not necessarily mean others will be interested and does not guarantee success. For example, when I check out a guide, I look for optimization, gear efficiency and extremely good defenses combined with good damage. I don't care if it's "interesting", I care if I'll be able to clear content quickly and safely. A lot of others think the same way. Dying in HC is not an interesting or pleasant experience and people try to avoid it.
The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
Last edited by Bars on Sep 3, 2015, 2:22:23 AM
I'd highly recommend avoiding Reddit's vitriol, especially if it is upsetting you when trying to take part in a hobby you enjoy. No matter what you do there you're going to get negative comments if your builds and realizations aren't following flavour-of-the-moment or what closed-minded players there recite as "best." (And I should seriously learn to follow my own advice on that.)

From what you were saying the community you interact with on Steam has been a lot more appreciative of your efforts. Why waste your time on the Reddit community when you could put that same time toward helping people who genuinely care about your efforts, and also getting more enjoyment out of it that way?

Reddit... hehehehe hehe

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info