Would a new league solve problems?

I would like to start by stating that my main goal of this post is to create discussion around a (not-so-new) idea. It is my hope that it would eventually be taken into consideration by GGG and implemented as a new feature to the game. However, I have not invested enough time or money (via "donations) in PoE to feel it appropriate to make this a "do this or I quit" thread in Feedback and Suggestions. Depending on the reception and discussion that follows, maybe it will eventually get moved there...

I have played PoE off and on since Open Beta. I also stood in line at midnight release for D3. Although I thought D3 was a train wreck at release, I went on to buy the Ultimate Evil Edition for console and had a blast with it. Both games have their pros and cons, and it is not my intention to turn this into another comparison thread.

From what I read on these forums, it seems GGG is loosing the support of many long-time fans because the end-game is no longer (realistically) attainable nor is the path to get there enjoyable. This game was always designed to cater to "The Hardcore" - a very specific audience. But what is "hardcore?" If it is someone who has 1000s of hours to spend on a game, that is NOT me. If it is someone who wants to participate in events, races and competes to be the top build on a ladder, that is NOT me. If it is someone who appreciates a complex game and likes to theory-craft, that IS me.

I don't party. I don't trade. I just want to log in when I have some spare time and kill shit. D3 UEE was fun because it allowed me to do just that. Blizzard finally realized that's what the majority of people want out of this genre when they ported to console. They even gave up on trying to stop people from item and currency duping. I did it too, because my thought was "well, if I had 1000 hours to farm I'd have this much gold anyways." All it did was allow me to skip the lame-ass grind and get me to the end-game faster. However, I'm back to PoE because the character build choices in D3 are limited and I felt that game was too "simple" for my tastes.

So what's the solution? I'd suggest the creation of a new league where everything is account-bound on pick-up. Then give that league highly inflated drop rates. And give us unlimited respecs. None of these things would interfere with another league's economy because you wouldn't be able to trade. From what I can tell, there seems to be plenty of people like me who don't care about grouping up or spending what little spare time they have trying to trade just so they can advance. They just want to log in to a complex game when they can and kill shit. Thoughts?

TL;DR - How about a new league designed for those who don't have 1000s of hours to spend playing this game? Drop rates are very high, but everything is account-bound on pick-up (so no trading).
Last edited by NyteFox on Sep 3, 2015, 12:38:45 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Sandbox leagues have been suggested since forever, especially back when paid custom leagues were discussed as a serious future option. GGG's stance on those has always been "things won't get easier than whatever is going on in Standard league".
Same for solo/selffound leagues. Suggested for ages, no love. So I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Just implement exiles everywhere and problem fixed. A full self found league.

But yes, self found league where suggested a lot of times, but so far GGG cares more about economy than is the game balanced good for a arpg game and what people want from a loot based game.
"
NyteFox wrote:
I would like to start by stating that my main goal of this post is to create discussion around a new idea.
Why do you think this is a new or unique idea? A few people have been making this exact same proposal regularly for about 2 years. It's not new and it's not unique. And it's not going to happen. Account bound goes against the fundamental design of the game. Increasing drops so that you get everything you could ever want drastically shortens the life of the game.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
mark1030 wrote:
Increasing drops so that you get everything you could ever want drastically shortens the life of the game.

OP says it would be increase the life of the game for him.
If this kind of league would decreased game's longevity FOR YOU, no problem, you can stay in your permanent league and grind forever for your usual shitty drops or play trade simulator.
"
From what I read on these forums, it seems GGG is loosing the support of many long-time fans because the end-game is no longer (realistically) attainable nor is the path to get there enjoyable.

Good luck listening to vocal part of community. Do you know why there isn't a lot of post about how game is good? Because people who enjoy game play it and don't post on forum their opinions based on false informations like peopel who state you can't get to high maps.

"
I don't party. I don't trade. I just want to log in when I have some spare time and kill shit. D3 UEE was fun because it allowed me to do just that

There isn't any problems with jumping in PoE just to kill monsters and log out after 1 hour, I have done this for months once.

"
Blizzard finally realized that's what the majority of people want out of this genre when they ported to console.

majority of gamers use consoled to play d3. What is logic? D3 is on console they way it is because console environment is much different than PC.

"
So what's the solution? I'd suggest the creation of a new league where everything is account-bound on pick-up. Then give that league highly inflated drop rates.

Does putting [deleted] would be offensive?

"
How about a new league designed for those who don't have 1000s of hours to spend playing this game?

How about people who dont have 1000s hours to spend playing games don't set unattainable goals for themselves? You don't play Mad Max wanting to end story in 3 hours and when you can't do it you don't complain how game is bad.
"Is there such a thing as an absolute, timeless enemy? There is no such thing, and never has been. And the reason
is that our enemies are human beings like us. They can only be our enemies in relative terms."
Last edited by kamil1210 on Sep 2, 2015, 6:42:06 PM
"
They even gave up on trying to stop people from item and currency duping. I did it too, because my thought was "well, if I had 1000 hours to farm I'd have this much gold anyways." All it did was allow me to skip the lame-ass grind and get me to the end-game faster.

This is going to sound offensive, so bear with me - if you're okay with just duping currency etc. in Diablo 3, why not just augment your experience in Path of Exile by using the available options to do so?

Sure, it is against the TOS, but you've indicated that this is not a massive concern.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Sep 2, 2015, 7:50:29 PM
"
mark1030 wrote:
"
NyteFox wrote:
I would like to start by stating that my main goal of this post is to create discussion around a new idea.
Why do you think this is a new or unique idea? A few people have been making this exact same proposal regularly for about 2 years. It's not new and it's not unique. And it's not going to happen. Account bound goes against the fundamental design of the game. Increasing drops so that you get everything you could ever want drastically shortens the life of the game.

I'm not sure why it was necessary to use such a derogatory tone to echo what two people prior to you already said. Apparently my idea is not new. I have amended my OP to reflect that. If it wasn't clear, I haven't put as much time into this game as some other people. I personally have not seen this topic discussed nor could I find a suggestion like it in the most recent 10 pages of this forum. I apologize for not being fully educated on the history of suggestions this game has had.

I will also restate that my OP was not a "do this or I quit" demand. In fact, I never once complained about the way things are now. I acknowledge that I have not invested as much time in this game as others, so I'm not expecting to have the same degree of success or wealth. I've only noticed a lot of posts (mostly in General Discussion) complaining about frustratingly low drop rates.

I'm not sure how increasing drops in a separate league would shorten the life of the game. It would give that league its own rules; if you don't like those rules, don't play in that league. Personally, I think it would make the game more exciting and it would keep me playing longer. Loot-based games rely on a carrot-on-a-stick to keep you playing. For many, it seems that carrot is too small and too far away, so they're moving on to other games.

"
"
They even gave up on trying to stop people from item and currency duping. I did it too, because my thought was "well, if I had 1000 hours to farm I'd have this much gold anyways." All it did was allow me to skip the lame-ass grind and get me to the end-game faster.

This is going to sound offensive, so bear with me - if you're okay with just duping currency etc. in Diablo 3, why not just augment your experience in Path of Exile by using the available options to do so?

Sure, it is against the TOS, but you've indicated that this is not a massive concern.

To clarify, I was referring to the console version. I viewed my actions as an exploit that would only affect my own "offline" save file. I'm not looking to pursue that type of behavior for PoE as the game currently relies on public trading and an active economy.
Having the option is good but if they pigeon hole me into RNG builds (e.g what you find) and make it mandatory I'll quit here too like I did D3. I like building whatever I want. Correct parts through trade. etc

Oh and IMO D3 was best in original inferno. after 1.4 sucks. I like GR though.

I was in high school so could no life original inferno. I beat game with a team it was so hard solo. It wasnt until carebear 1.4 most ppl could solo. about half damage of monsters. No more enraged elites. No more healing elites. No more long haul 5 min elite fights because HP was like 1/4. Basically once they made it accessible to casuals it lost appeal to nolifers like me. PoE runs same risk is what you are hearing.

Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Sep 3, 2015, 3:30:07 AM
"
NyteFox wrote:

This game was always designed to cater to "The Hardcore" - a very specific audience. But what is "hardcore?" If it is someone who has 1000s of hours to spend on a game, that is NOT me. If it is someone who wants to participate in events, races and competes to be the top build on a ladder, that is NOT me. If it is someone who appreciates a complex game and likes to theory-craft, that IS me.

poe is not realy hardcore, more like a game with gimmicks where a few things work and the rest either require ridiculous items to work or will never work no matter how hard you try, divercity as a whole whent to hell.

"
NyteFox wrote:

TL;DR - How about a new league designed for those who don't have 1000s of hours to spend playing this game? Drop rates are very high, but everything is account-bound on pick-up (so no trading).

guess they can create a void league with those characteristic but i would rather see them doing 2 things

first is balance the skills, many skills are well known for being subpar or outright useless

second is balance the drop rates, GGG balance the drop rates with the idea that all our chars stack MF or that we have some sort of MF culler and that is plain horrible for game divercity, specialy for the above mentioned builds that need every bit of gear they can get and cant sacrifice slots to get good MF. if it was up to me i would get rid of MF alltoghether and then balance the drop rates so we dont have people swiming in items becouse culler and people who havent found an upgrade in 20 levels becouse they cant stack MF.

self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info