Linux support... What would it take?

One of the constant arguments I hear from people about supporting Linux is that the player base isn't large enough to make native linux support practical. Or because of all the various windowing toolkits, desktop managers, poor driver support, etc, it's too difficult. The arguments from both sides are always, circular. "When people start writing more software for Linux, we'll build better drivers." Or, "When there is better driver support, we'll start writing our software for your platform." Someone has to give.

So I ask the following questions and would love an official response rather than a bunch of opinions.

1) What woud it take to create a Linux port? Name a price. If I was willing to write you a check to port the game to Linux, what would you need?

2) What if you allowed the community to build the port by open-sourcing parts of the game? Or perhaps exposing certain libraries that would allow the community to help at least get the ball rolling?

3) What if GGG said, ok Linux people.. You do A, B, and C and we'll do the rest. What would A-C need to be?

I know there is a happy middle-ground here where both GGG and the Linux community could make this venture worthwhile. Also, I think GGG positions themselves better in the future by becoming a little more platform/OS agnostic.
Last edited by corpsetiller on Sep 1, 2015, 10:58:19 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info