Divinity Original Sin 2 KICKSTARTER!

funded in 12 hours. currently a little over 200% funded. 29 days left (as of this writing)

I was a super huge fan of the first one. Already backed this one. I can't wait for it to come out! :D
Already backed on the 28th for $125. Can't wait for the merch, mostly the Dwarven ale mug though. It'll be a great prop for D&D :)

E: I actually made a kickstarter account specifically for Div:Os2 since I loved the first one so much
Not my real account anymore, use it for forums while I work
You might also know me as "Thisisnotmyrealaccount" to which I forgot the E-mail for.
My real account is Einkil1, it's my steam account which is why I can't access it at work >.>
Last edited by Einkil on Aug 31, 2015, 4:12:51 PM
I liked D:OS but I kinda have a hang-up about companies having a successful product funded through KS and going back to that well a second time instead of reinvesting their profits. Seems abusive to me to run with the profits and ask for your fans' goodwill to fund you AGAIN.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
I have yet to play the first one. Loved the original games, and when OS came out, I wanted to wait for a Steam sale - and then I lost interest. Heck, I have yet to play Pillars of Eternity, and I did back that!

I think it's fine for companies to repeatedly use Kickstarter. It's a good advertisement tool in addition to the money stuff. It also allows players to get some extras if they are willing to pay for them.
"
Mivo wrote:
I have yet to play the first one. Loved the original games, and when OS came out, I wanted to wait for a Steam sale - and then I lost interest. Heck, I have yet to play Pillars of Eternity, and I did back that!

I think it's fine for companies to repeatedly use Kickstarter. It's a good advertisement tool in addition to the money stuff. It also allows players to get some extras if they are willing to pay for them.

In what other industry can companies get away with what is essentially free funding with 0 return on investment? Its lasted longer than I ever thought it would, that bubble will pop mark my words.
"
The level of abuse of goodwill is phenomenal.

It's not a one-way street. Backing a project on Kickstarter gets you stuff, and it gets you the product you want. I doubt there are many people who support projects on KS for charitable reasons. It's another form of pre-ordering with partly quite unique bonuses.

I understand your, and TWs, concern with using KS repeatedly instead of re-investing the profits, but I also understand why they go this route. It is safer, helps to gauge interest, and is an advertisement tool. Seeing how quickly it was funded, plenty of customers don't mind.

I also don't know how much profit they actually made with the first game vs. how much it cost and will cost. It was an indie game, not a mainstream one. It may not have been enough to finance the next game, and they may not want to work with one of the large publishers.
"
Mivo wrote:
"
The level of abuse of goodwill is phenomenal.

It's not a one-way street. Backing a project on Kickstarter gets you stuff, and it gets you the product you want. I doubt there are many people who support projects on KS for charitable reasons. It's another form of pre-ordering with partly quite unique bonuses.

I understand your, and TWs, concern with using KS repeatedly instead of re-investing the profits, but I also understand why they go this route. It is safer, helps to gauge interest, and is an advertisement tool. Seeing how quickly it was funded, plenty of customers don't mind.

I also don't know how much profit they actually made with the first game vs. how much it cost and will cost. It was an indie game, not a mainstream one. It may not have been enough to finance the next game, and they may not want to work with one of the large publishers.

It IS as one way street though. If they had gone with a publisher the second go round ( if your 1st game was successful publishers will want a piece of that pie) then you owe them some dividends in return for their initial investment, how capitalism works.. This way all they owe you is tchotchkes and in-game junk i.e. almost no cost to them.

Your opportunity cost of tying up 100-200$ in a KS project for 2+ years is much greater. Even moderately invested you could've bought the collectors edition of that game, 6 times over once it launches :p

E: Pre-Orders are abusive enough as is, you want me to straight up pay for the game before you've even started making it? They get all the profits and I get..a keychain? Like Charan said, Nope.
Last edited by TheWretch on Aug 31, 2015, 11:12:40 PM
These are niche games and therefore I have no problem with the devs making more profit because they don't have a publisher. Publishers usually ruin niche games (exception is Paradox Interactive). And last time I checked GGG doesn't have a publisher either and you guys still keep buying supporter packs :P
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Big bag of nope.

Kickstarter is precisely that: a 'starter'.

D:OS should have made enough to fund D:OS2. That's my bottom line.

History is not going to look kindly on where these crowd-fund project sites are going. The level of abuse of goodwill is phenomenal.

personally, I could care less where they get their funding from, as long as they deliver a spectacular product :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info