Almost 83 ranger, help on gear upgrades

This is my first character in POE that I've actually played well into the endgame. I'm a lvl-83 Ice Shot - burn prolif ranger. It's based largely off the old Crit Dot build from 1.3 and a combination of a few others. Here is my current gear:

Spoiler

Tree

I've been running 72-74 maps without much trouble, either solo or in a party. I did rip on a double unique coves map last night, but it had the EE mod which is like kryptonite for me. That's what I get for trying an alch and go.

SO my biggest weaknesses right now are:

1) move speed. I feel slow. I need to kite more. I'm either going to get a rare 30% MS boots or Atziri's steps. Trying to decide which is better. I have a few belts I can swap out for Meginold's to cap my resists so I can equip Atziri, but that's a decent DPS loss in doing so.

example belts
Spoiler

2) Need a 5L for puncture trap. That was part of the trouble with the double unique boss. My single target is just okay on a 4L.

3) craptastic rings. I could really save a lot of points off the tree if I could get some Int + mana regen/mana on hit from jewelry along with other base stats.

4) accuracy. I let this slip and now my acc is below 90%

5) Either upgrade my bow or 6L it. Huge DPS boost with Added Fire on a 6L.

Any other suggestions or additions to my gear and my list above? Any help would be appreciated. I love playing this build, and want to see if it's viable to go much further in maps.
i play the 1month race and use 6s5lchin sol bow is nice and cheep(see "NeverSink's" guide), reach easy lvl 90 with not so much play time, my advice, boots upgrade first then get an eva helm(life, eva, rez), rats nest kinda expensive.

ps for dps u need maligaro and rats thats like 6+ex investment
You pointed your deficiencies fairly well.

1. Atziri requires high res on armor and belt, maybe upgrade those first. For belt, look for a rustic with 2 res and life, or leather basis. It's also a good place to put str if needed.
ex of belts I bought:
30c in warbands (and got incredibly unlucky on crafting, as usual)
10c in std (some months ago).
That's the kind of belt I like :)
If you go for rare boots, you may want to look for ES/EV basis with Int on them (and 25-30 ms, dual res, life)

2. 5L chest shouldn't be that expensive. Look for tri res or dual res + life and finish with Haku crafting (if not done already). Around 1000 eva is ok.

3. not much to add. Also Two Stone > Amethyst, to help using more unique items with no res ;)

4. you can get some on rings. Glove is also a good candidate. Aspect of the Eagle and Depth Perception also helps quite sensibly.

5. not a priority

6. I would add that the amulet badly needs crit multi. Dps wise, it should be one of your priority with the 5L armor.

7. You don't take advantage of drillneck so you may get better results with a rare quiver (30+ crit multi mandatory ;))

PS: link also vaal grace to increase duration.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
Last edited by Panini_aux_olives on Aug 30, 2015, 5:13:18 PM
Thanks for the tips.

I was so focused on getting boots (either Atziri' or good Rares), but stepping back and getting a good 5L chest first will not only help my single target problem, but give me the room to get boots. I'm close on Res right now. Without any Res on boots, I'm 21% fire from cap. So I can swap in one of those leather belts and be on my way with Atziris. If I can swing the res, I think the dodge on Atziris (plus ridiculous eva) will help my survivabiliy a lot.

Before I do that though, I might go have a look for 5L chests. Not to rich right now, but I'll see what I can find.

I hope to take depth perception wheel when I spec out of some mana nodes or level. I also plan to take piercing shots to cap my IS pierce with those points. I can save 4 points by specing out of Lethalty and going into Depth Perception. Les crit overall, but more accuracy to make up for that.

I'll be on the look out for a better amulet with crit multi, once I get everything else squared away.

Don't spec out of Lethality, really. If anything, remove Balistic Mastery and the node before; really not worth the cost. You need to eventually refund Cloth and Chain too, for 2 additional free points, and ideally Primal Spirit.
So it's even more res to find on gear ;), hence my suggestion to go for rare quiver which may help on that. So you can expect 6 to 8 spare points eventually.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
Last edited by Panini_aux_olives on Aug 31, 2015, 2:49:06 AM
Flasks are a very important part of your gear as well. Try to roll a flask like this and gain freezy immunity on jade flask.

Also remove granite flask for something better (taste of hate if you can afford it, but a resistance flask or atziri flask is also good).
Incremental gear upgrades incoming

It started with the +INT ring a friend bro-dealed to me to cover my fire res, and allowed me to spec out of an int point. Decided on Atziri's Steps. Found a pretty good deal on that 5L chest piece and switched the other ring & belt to cover res. I'm capped on all resistances (way over cap on cold/light), up to 4.6K life now, and picked up a little evasions in the boots/chest swap. DPS probably took a hit by switching out Meginord's, but clear speed did improve because of MS% and defensive upgrades.

The granite flask was an experiment. I was looking for some form of dmg mitigation somewhere. Though I could never get Iron Skin suffix to fully test, it just wasn't working well. I now use that as my wild card flask slot, depending on map roll. Most of the time it's another Jade flask.

Now I"m on the lookout for an upgrade to the amulet and ring upgrades that give me mana leech and accuracy. Belt will eventually be swapped out for a better rustic sash.
Last edited by hokieneer on Sep 9, 2015, 7:19:40 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info