What you mean D3 characters look better?

Moar of the nightmare theme. Love it. The dark, ominous atmosphere of the Lunaris Temple with the music and bodies everywhere. Just gave you the creeps, and made you want to kill Piety even more.

D3 is talked about more on these forums than blizzard forums. Is their an official name for the complex of feeling the need to compete with your big brother who doesn't realise he's in a competition and doesn't give a shit?
D3 engine certainly isn't perfect, I have strongbox-like freezes at some bosses (like bosses who spawn minions for example) and at some other instances. When you look through the forums you can see that many people have performance issues in D3.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Peterlerock wrote:
"
melodia1 wrote:
OP, yes I'm sure your char has no MTX items right? /facepalm
Anyone wanna try looking "good" in this game without MTX? Be my guest. Without MTX this game looks worse than Super Mario 64 from 1999. Top contender for ugliest game in terms of equipment aesthetics in the entire decade.

So many ugly features with this pic I don't even know where to start. For one, how is it possible a game only has 1 armour model for both male and female characters??

Without skin transfers or proper MTX, characters in this game tend to look horrible, and this picture is a prime example.

Before finally buying some points, I actually only used items that "look good": As an example, I avoided Armor/ES chests on poe.trade that didn't have "conquest chainmail" or "loricated ringmail" appearance (those two are the only ones among this item class that look ok on all classes).
I was playing with inferior gear just to make my char not look ugly.

However, D3's style is even more horrible. I hate this design.
"Add MORE spikes and MORE metal and MORE everything"
Like this:
Spoiler

Looks like garbage. Who designed this shit? Who greenlighted it?

I want a barbarian to look like this:
Spoiler

"Realistic" Fantasy, not some "1 ton of metal and spikes chaos warrior of doom" bullshit.

Oh I wish I could log in to my D3 account just to screenshot my barbarian because he looks VERY similar to the latter; more traditionally barbarianesque. http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/diablo/images/2/22/The_Legacy_of_Raekor.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20150327180629

Like this but no helmet, and a very simple chestpiece.
"
"
ghamadvar wrote:

About high and low fantasy: Are you sure? I remember as many magic encounters and fluff in POE as in d3. POE has a steampunk-flavour added, but still: Both games are high fantasy. Or low fantasy, if you wish. In d3 angels fall from the heavens. In POE golems are created by magic. Every boss-encounter in POE is full of magical fluff.
edit: the first boss is a zombie. The second a witch. the third an icy pirate. The fourth a necromancer. Merveill next. And so on.
The whole world and game-style relies on magic talking about gems. I don't think that both games are too different in terms of that.

I probably shouldn't have invoked that particular categorisation, agreed. PoE is definitely not low fantasy but I'd still argue it's 'lower' than D3. HF involves epic stories, larger-than-life characters (usually born of prophecy), and a world that is clearly not the real one. Sanctuary fits that last one very well, whereas we don't even know the name of the world in which Wraeclast is a continent and there are fairly clear real world analogues in play. I'm not saying the world of PoE *is* the real world, but the parallels suffice to suggest more than mere allegory. The only known map of Wraeclast might not even be that accurate, and if you look closely, you'll see that the relative position of Oriath from Wraeclast isn't that far off New Zealand's from Australia.

As for the magic in PoE, it's still not really the norm. There is a sense that something unnatural has happened to produce these gems, and that the Beast itself is the source. Most ways of using the magic involves a corruption of flesh and mind. Accordingly, the townsfolk typically don't use magic, even though they're sitting on an ungodly reserve of gems. Hell, even the Exile can't use magic when around the townsfolk -- locomancy seems to be the extent of it. I'm fairly confident that Wraeclast would be a low fantasy setting (if not a completely magic free one with technology in its stead) if not for this one deviation, this one event that, perhaps temporarily, has made it a high fantasy setting.

The same can't be said of Sanctuary, which seems to have magic woven into its internal physical laws. There is no evidence that the death of the Prime Evils or the destruction of 'Heaven' would remove magic from the world of Diablo. It's there, it's probably always been there, and likely always will be there.

Hm. I would love to agree. But on the other hand in every diablo-part the "normal" civilian was not into magic at all. There are some exceptions, but still, magic haunts those you try to protect in this games. The world is defenseless against the great evils and their armies. Hell, even the mighty barbarians are doomed. To me, diablo, the angels and all the mediocre fluff that comes along with diablo, are magical and high-fantasy-ish. But the world is pretty flat in terms of magic. People don't know shit about falling stars, returning demons, crushing world-stones. That is one reason why you - the hero - are needed. One against all. Of course: Everything YOU encounter is glowing and crackling and loaded with magic power. And of course YOU meet the mighty ones who know some shit about magic (like Cain or Tyrael). But that is like saying that King Arthur is high-fantasy just because of the sword and the fluff arthur is carrying or encountering.
Man, that low-high-discussion is dangerous ;)
But i would say, that POE and D3 are playing at the nearly same level. Where POE has a little bit more lovecraft attached to it, diablo gets a little bit more bible-feeling. But still: Both have a pretty similar "feeling" in terms of story and approach.
The Sirus fight is a disgrace.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info