Staff COC, Avatar of Fire, Cyclone, Flame Surge - Theory Craft

Hey Everyone,

I've been theory crafting a build to make use of COC Flame Surge, currently I'm unable to play test so thought I would post it here and see what people thought.

The Tree: http://tinyurl.com/na8p8ng

Lvl 82 tree - Has room to build more dmg, defense, or jewels.

Bandits: Oak - Point - Oak

Concept:

The idea is to use Avatar of Fire to make all crits ignite targets regardless of the ability used, then COC Flame Surge for the bonus dmg on burning targets. Although Cyclone doesn't scale the best with AoF I feel it's the best option for number of hits per cast, its range/mobility, and the attack speed should work well without the need for melee supports (faster attacks/Multi).

Offence:

5 power charges adding crit chance and spell dmg to flame surge

Links: Cyclone - Cast on Crit - Flame Surge - Power Charge on Crit - Increase AOE/Concentrated Effect - Fire Penetration

Swapping Increased AOE for a second spell may be a better option, Magma Orb or Firestorm could work well for this.

The weapon of choice would be a staff for the 6 base whirlwind range and the combination of caster/melee affixes it can roll. The ideal staff would have high crit chance, attack speed, and high spell damage. Other useful stats could be fire damage added to spells or attacks, and + to fire gems.

In addition to rolling attack speed with caster mods the staff has nice global crit nodes on the tree, this allows for a high crit chance on your melee attack while boosting the crit chance of Flame Surge.

A variety of curses could be used either self cast or triggered with cast when damage taken, or none at all if you have friends to curse.

Defense:

6 Endurance charges, maintained with 10% chance to gain charge on staff crit

Life based, around 150% increased. Not the highest amount but enough for me, if you want more there are plenty of options near Marauder along with armor nodes you can trade out for fire nodes.

Armor based, not much armor on the tree but my goal is to stack armor.

CWDT Setup: Cast when Damage Taken - Molten Shell - Curse on Hit - Enfeble/Temp Chain/Anything

Vaal Setup: Vaal Molten Shell - Increased AOE - Increased Duration - Life Leach

Mobility: Leap Slam - Faster Attacks - Fortify - Blood Magic

Final Thoughts:

For auras the only one I've settled on is Anger, boosting the base fire dmg on cyclone and on Flame Surge Procs. leaving a 50% reserve to cast off mana, blood magic clarity may be needed with reduced mana cost nodes not to sure.

I feel like theres a decent amount of synergy between the staff, cyclone COC, and flame surge. Generating endurance charges passively, being able to block, and the aoe nodes/supports boosting the cyclone, flame surge, and molten shell range, and if used magma orb as well.

Please let me know what you guys think, any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Stormin

IGN: StorminRH
Last edited by StorminRH on Aug 28, 2015, 5:19:11 PM
No point to use staff if the only reasons are higher weapon range and 10% endu charge. Solve #1 with aoe nodes and #2 with cwdt-warlord's mark.

AoF to help flame surge is cool but probably weaker than anything else you'd do. I mean its aoe is terrible for anything but single target.

So in theory this build seems to lack DPS and isn't special offensively, but you could prove me wrong by playtesting it. :)
All my builds /view-thread/1430399

T14 'real' clearspeed challenge /1642265
"
MatrixFactor wrote:
No point to use staff if the only reasons are higher weapon range and 10% endu charge. Solve #1 with aoe nodes and #2 with cwdt-warlord's mark.

AoF to help flame surge is cool but probably weaker than anything else you'd do. I mean its aoe is terrible for anything but single target.

So in theory this build seems to lack DPS and isn't special offensively, but you could prove me wrong by playtesting it. :)

The staff also to get atk speed rolls on a caster weapon to boost FS dmg. But yeah will have to see how the DPS holds up, PC was recently visited by a glass of water so may be a while.
IGN: StorminRH
Well most people use daggers for CoC because they easily get 1.6+ APS while staves are stuck around 1.2-1.4?
All my builds /view-thread/1430399

T14 'real' clearspeed challenge /1642265

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info