Changes to Default Privacy Settings

"
Smells extremely fishy.

But then again, why trust such a company that speaks in cryptic and ambiguous ways?
Just riding on the same boat, awaiting the day this one sinks and another rises. Did the same with D3, now PoE. Hopefully a new ARPG, untainted by rampant RMT and poor balance ethics will arise.

How does RMT affect your enjoyment of the game? Every single online player game that has trading in it will have RMT. There is no escape, since non-extreme cases are very difficult to prove. If you wish for an ARPG without an economy, D3 is just the thing for you.

Also D3's balance system is extreemly good. Every class has 1 viable build ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
RIP mirror scammers, i hope all your mirrors are destroyed, i hoped i would drop one to destroy one in front of you and while streaming.
Bad idea don't like it.

When I was a new player and while reading though players builds ect I could inspect gear and tree from other players who posted on the thread to get a better understanding and learn how the build worked ect.

My current build is a Kinetic blast build and through reading 3 different guides I could see several variations of the build which gave me plenty to think about and how to incorporate each of the different factors I liked. ( made the game more interesting)

Also when players I meet / make new friends through map rotations and they ask for advise on build ect. It makes it easier to guide them or give them ideas as I can just quickly search them on forums.

Understandable the pvpers want to keep their builds secret but surely they would know this on/off function already because you would assume most of the PVP players didn't start poe as pvpers straight off the bat.
Congratulations on this change, altough I would like to say that this setting should have been default in the first place.
IGN : KC_Serra (among other chars)
"
Chris wrote:
"
Wooser69 wrote:
Will people who already have it set to "on" have it changed to "off", or will this only effect new players? I assume the former but confirmation is good.

It is the former - everyone is being changed to "off" until they specifically change it.

Chris, obviously it's a good idea to bring this up again in a new News post once the script finishes.
Computer specifications:
Windows 10 Pro x64 | AMD Ryzen 5800X3D | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti Gamer | Corsair AX 760watt PSU | Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD & WD Black FZEX HDD
A reasonable compromise would've been default OFF only for PVP characters.
Last edited by Ward on Aug 28, 2015, 12:40:33 PM
"
Ward wrote:
A reasonable compromise would've been default OFF only for PVP characters.

Except for PVP ONLY Characters created through Leo, there is no way to tell through a script which is a pvp character and which are pvm characters.

This default setting should have been done when first implemented.
17/04/2021 https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3082616/page/1
"We tell people that Path of Exile league starts are a fair playing field for everyone, and we need to actually make sure that is the reality."

A BLATANT LIE by the HMFIIC.
Perhaps GGG should consider a leadership change.
The only way to see where someone put what jewel was looking at there profile. It's also nice to see what gear people have when you look,them up from a build thread.

I find this change stupid and I really good not see the point why we all need to go private because of PVP that is played by a handful.

There bigger fish to be fixed, waste of time on this.
I don't think this change was in response to unfounded claims that players' inventory and stash data could be pulled. GGG has already confirmed this was impossible.

I liked the default setting of public, but there could have been better notification that the default was public. What could be helpful would be a "Public" and "Private" toggle in the character account info that appears in the upper left corner when logged into the website, or in the character tab somewhere. So players could be reminded of their privacy settings and could easily change it with a mouse click.
What I gather from this announcement is:

1. GGG implemented the feature
2. Failed to inform the community about that
3. Characters' information got compromised
4. GGG "default to OFF"ed the feature

If that sounds about right, I have two questions:

1. Why weren't the players originally informed about this feature?
2. Why was the decision "default to OFF", instead of leaving it ON, and informing players that such a feature is available? Better late than never. Pretty sure that "PVP players" protective of their setup would NOT be too lazy to go and switch the setting "once they are informed it exists".

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info