Changes to Default Privacy Settings

I don't like this change, most players probably don't care that people can see their gear/spec and players that do can simply change the settings in their profile. Now since most players are too lazy to change their profiles back to public there's nothing to learn from inspecting other players.
Good change, Chris.

Should have been the default from the beginning, but better late than never.

Best wishes
As someone enjoying watching other people's builds, especially those at the top of the ladder, and as someone enjoying tinkering with newly-acquired statistics (rip), I really, really dislike this change.
IGN: somewittynamehere
Not ideal but understandable
When I kill a man he stays dead.
I've been having a lot of fun producing interesting information about the "state of the ladder" over the last few days, for those that haven't seen it (because I'm lazy and only post on Reddit usually as /u/trackpete):

Data Analysis of Equipped Items Part 1: Popular Uniques and Rare Explicit Mods

Part 2: Popular Skill Gems and Links

It never occurred to me that players would consider information about what items that are using or what their skill tree is to be "private" in a non-PVP game. I will go ahead and anonymize the current data that I am using as I complete my analysis.

I understand that there are some people doing much more in-depth and "manipulative" analysis of this character data and using it for their own ends rather than the good of the community, so I can understand this change from that perspective. I hope a lot of players choose to make this information public in the future!
Pete's Simple Path of Exile Tools: http://exiletools.com
Item Price Lookup Macro, Ladder API, Price API, League Reports, Item Reports, and more!
surely, "default to hide" is the right setting, it's a general priciple to not show other peoples data. I was surprised that you did turn it on in the first place and didn't bother to change that... until now... months later.

Dynamit,
Architekturkritik, die man tatsächlich sieht!

Farin Urlaub
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2nz5q9
so. this looks to be the right time to point out that the feature to discover ones online status (over api and website ladder) should enabled by the user too and switched off by default.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
It's really a dumb change, because ppl are lazy, which means 90% of profiles are now gonna be private and I won't be able to quickly see how someone has built his char, his items choices, ect... after seeing him on a stream, in game or whatever.
And especially, a change for .. what ? PvP players ? lol. I guess the 0.1% pvp players in the player base are happy now. Even if they could just set the privacy on themselves.

"
it's a general priciple to not show other peoples data

In the gaming world, absolutely not. You don't even have the privacy options in most of the AAA games (D3, WoW just to name the most obvious ones).

Not wanting to "reveal" stuff / passive tree is such a niche feature in this game, the default to off was a good choice.
Last edited by Dawmz on Aug 28, 2015, 3:18:46 AM
Smells extremely fishy.

But then again, why trust such a company that speaks in cryptic and ambiguous ways?
Just riding on the same boat, awaiting the day this one sinks and another rises. Did the same with D3, now PoE. Hopefully a new ARPG, untainted by rampant RMT and poor balance ethics will arise.
Last edited by mochimutt on Aug 28, 2015, 3:36:52 AM
I don't like this.
Last edited by DenSan1587 on Aug 28, 2015, 4:01:03 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info