Would you stop playing PoE when you reach level 100?

Probably, I'd be totally burnt out at least.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
A very high percentage of people who reach level 100 quit the game or lose general interest in leveling.

Unless you have hit 100, your opinion is invalid because you actually haven't had the experience of grinding to 100. And therefore have no basis for your opinion.
IGN:Vennttorr - Level 100 Witch - 1st Witch to 100.

My mirror service thread: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/811499

My Crit Arc build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1090691 -- Updated
"
Ventor wrote:
A very high percentage of people who reach level 100 quit the game or lose general interest in leveling.

Unless you have hit 100, your opinion is invalid because you actually haven't had the experience of grinding to 100. And therefore have no basis for your opinion.

but is that because often the sort of people who hit 100 in the current environment are the sort of people who dont roll a ton of different characters but are generally the sort of people who mainly just play one character till theres nowhere left to go with it then quit this sort of game?

There was a post form a player asking for paragon levels, and when we said why dont you just roll another character his answer was because he has no interest in other builds and he just wanted to do low life spec throw because it was THE most powerful thing, no other characters or skills interest him. Thats sort of why he hit 100 where people who want to do a variety of things have 10 lvl90+ chars instead from the same time investment and why the game had nothing left for him when he had essentially 'maxed' that one character. I feel like if thats the sort of person you are youre going to quit when you get as far as you feel you can get, and if youre the sort of person who wants to keep doing new things then youll do that.

HvR and Etup arnt about to quit any time soon after all their level 100s because its just not the sort of player they are. I feel like you are talking about standard league players who just end up with some cookie cutter mirrored full set and thats all they are interested in, that epeen play THE best build and get THE best items for it. That sort of player naturally has no real long term motivations beyond that one thing, which will inevitably get nerfed and that in itself is pretty demotivating for that sort of player where endless rerollers dont mind so much if this or that gets nerfed because its just one little part of the variety of things they do.
I haven't reached 100 in this game so I can't tell for sure. However I can say reaching P100 in D3 (prior expansion) didn't stop from playing. I leveled a second char to 100, and a 3rd one was on the road when I switched to PoE, as I wasn't very satisfied with what was coming in RoS.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
"
Ventor wrote:

An even higher percentage of overall players just quit WAY before getting into the mid-90s. Isn't the goal to stop people from quitting? Making level 100 take forever isn't actually keeping people playing longer, it's just making the experience for true addicts even more painful. If GGG bluntly increased the exp required to get to 100, this wouldn't actually increase overall gameplay time - people would just give up on grinding to 100 entirely.

I'd rather have a discussion based on what's fun, because fun is what keeps people playing. It would be more fun if getting to 100 took a little bit less time (it would still take forever, disallow bad builds or gear, and require a lot of dedication) so that someone like me would actually have a shot at it rather than burning out at 95. Yes, far more people would eventually reach it, but I remain unconvinced that this would be in any way a bad thing.

We'd just reroll a new toon or keep working to get gear upgrades - because a 100 toon with crappy gear wouldn't be able to take on the toughest content.
We're all in this leaky boat together, people.
Last edited by demon9675 on Aug 27, 2015, 6:37:20 PM
I play this game for two reasons. While I am actively playing, I am searching for loot. Often that item that is about to become legacy because "balance." I love breaking the game with builds that wreck the screen after playing a single character for 300+ hours. I have all but abandon this quest as it seems people get mad when there is an item with .0000001% chance to drop that causes a blackhole to appear and destroys an entire map in five seconds. As if that somehow destroys their gameplay.

The other reason is because I randomly think of a new build or skill use that I REALLY want to try out, and spend some time trying to make it happen (this is actually the reason I usually come back after being gone for a while). This game has so much to do that it is almost always worth it to come back and try something new. The only problem with this is that if I am going to play softcore I either have to start at the beginning of a league to sell my own stuff, or flip items to get anywhere useful. If I am going to be playing hardcore I get to have more sales, but I have to restrict my build ideas (sometimes). In either case I almost always need to start at the beginning of a league if my idea happens to be in the current meta. Otherwise I only get to play with it for a few days before it gets "balanced". Sometimes this is done really really well, and sometimes it is smashed upside the head and beaten so badly it looks like a spork totem.

IN both cases, my answer is yes. Getting to level 100 would negate neither of the reasons I play. I just come here to make monsters blow up in fun ways and collect loots. Self found loots always being the most fun, as grinding to buy my loots just gets old after a while, and I don't have 12 hours a day to dedicate to it, nor am I a fan of exploiting trades (and thus people) to get loot. I want my exploding monsters to drop it. So I play PoE when I want to try fun builds (and hope it is almost cheap to do) and I play Diablo 3 when I want loot explosions. I wish PoE could find a nice balance between these two loot levels (as my D3 char is geared out in about a week... in endgame gear... woo.)
I guess I will have to buy a one way ticket to hell with your lives
Last edited by BJWPDaemonSadi on Aug 27, 2015, 6:38:48 PM
"
"
Ventor wrote:

While it's great to see high levels chiming in, I don't believe this query is really aimed at them/you. You've already asked that question of yourself and have answered it for yourself.

If anything, I'd say your opinion is invalid because you're working under the existing regime where 'level 100' is a will-crushing grind. I'd say this thread has already moved past that and into the realm where 'level 100' is no longer designed to be attained only by the truly masochistic.

We're all masochists just for playing this game.

But the question being asked can't truly be answered unless you have experienced it or have analyzed data regarding it.

You don't actually know your own reaction unless you've experienced it.
IGN:Vennttorr - Level 100 Witch - 1st Witch to 100.

My mirror service thread: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/811499

My Crit Arc build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1090691 -- Updated
"

IN both cases, my answer is yes.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, you mean "no, I would not stop playing." The question in the title of this thread is a negative, which is confusing. I had the same issue and had to edit my post.
We're all in this leaky boat together, people.
"
Ventor wrote:
"
"
Ventor wrote:

While it's great to see high levels chiming in, I don't believe this query is really aimed at them/you. You've already asked that question of yourself and have answered it for yourself.

If anything, I'd say your opinion is invalid because you're working under the existing regime where 'level 100' is a will-crushing grind. I'd say this thread has already moved past that and into the realm where 'level 100' is no longer designed to be attained only by the truly masochistic.

We're all masochists just for playing this game.

But the question being asked can't truly be answered unless you have experienced it or have analyzed data regarding it.

You don't actually know your own reaction unless you've experienced it.

I have reached max level in other loot hunt games. It didn't stop me from playing it. Hell before RoS in Diablo 3 you hit max level just to enter the final difficulty (before paragon levels even) It didn't stop me from playing it for another 500 hours before they turned overtuned inferno into something my 7 year old brother can destroy.

I am almost positive that the result would be the same here. I see no major difference in this game from any other game where I have hundreds of possible builds and loot being the major attraction. Reaching max level in Borderlands (1 or 2) didn't stop me from loot grinding. Level 100 in D2 didn't stop me from loot grinding. Hell the only reasons I haven't hit level 100 here is because A) I don't have the pure time after work and girlfriend to hit 100 in league, and B) I get bored on playing the normal leagues when the new leagues have new shinies to chase :D
I guess I will have to buy a one way ticket to hell with your lives

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info