Development schedule of PoE

Was just browsing around to see what the chances were of 5Ling and 6Ling items, and I came across this:
"
Chris wrote:
If there was a vendor recipe to guarantee six linked sockets if you traded in 1500 fusings, would you use it?

Edit: I'm not saying it takes 1500 fusings to get six linked sockets :P

Posted on August 30, 2012 3:34 PM.

"That's weird," I thought, "I swear Forsaken Masters wasn't released THAT long ago."

After quickly checking and finding the Forsaken Masters release announcement, posted on July 31, 2014 10:04 AM, nearly 2 years later, it made me wonder...

Is Chris' statement linked with Forsaken Masters? Was GGG already developing it 2 years before the announcement was made? Or is it merely because, as stated by Chris elsewhere, "The actual odds are very close to 1 in 1500" of 6Ling an item and he was merely curious about guaranteed results? If so, did that then spark an idea for deterministic crafting with Masters?

Intredasting.
Sure sounds like those plans were in the works well in advance. You can count on there still being other stuff in development which we won't see for a coupla years. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
There were discussions, arguments and all round rage quitting about fusings taking so long to make a 6 link as far back as you can trace the open forum. Actually I wonder how long it took the first whinge out thread about fusings to pop up when the forums opened for business?
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
—Leo Buscaglia

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!

My beloved pets....

"
chris_wilsonLead Developer 51 Punkte vor 1 Jahr

The actual odds are very close to 1 in 1500.

Well, last week I wasted over 3000 Fusings on this item, without success:

So, I really have no idea what Chris was speaking about.
░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
Il███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤..
"
bersi23 wrote:
"
chris_wilsonLead Developer 51 Punkte vor 1 Jahr

The actual odds are very close to 1 in 1500.

Well, last week I wasted over 3000 Fusings on this item, without success:

So, I really have no idea what Chris was speaking about.

If you don't have the Master for fusing you can always find someone trust worthy to link it for you, for a price or alot just do it to be nice. I-NO volunteered for someone just the other day here on the forums. It's hard to know who to trust but she's ok.

Odds are chancy thing, you can get lucky and roll 6 link in 5 orbs or not roll a 6 link in 9000. That's the danger of all the information rolled together to get the odds.
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
—Leo Buscaglia

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!

My beloved pets....

I've rolled 5 times 6L in a row and spent for each 6L between 200 and 800 fusings. And then I've spent over 3000 without success.
Odds are odd.
░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
Il███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤..
Just fyi, it's something that non-developers often don't understand. Software development is EXTREMELY hard to predict/plan correctly. It's possible that 2 years there was just a rough draft of what a master could be, could be that it was already a lot more than that but still it takes a lot of time.

That's probably also why they give so little information about what they are currently working on, because it might take between 1 month or 1 year to finish and they don't know themselves how long it will take.

Also, see what happened with the trading system. (Or what didn't happen to it).

It's also why you should be very cautious whenever a developer sets the release date long before the date itself. Anything ubisoft released last year is a good example of that, release dates where known for quite a long time. Development probably went a lot slower than anticipated, release was a complete mess.
Last edited by Sisaroth on Aug 26, 2015, 6:59:19 AM
There are many things that have been in concepts long before they made their way into the game. I can remember talking to Chris about craftable chests back in 2011, which would later become the strongboxes.
Please contact support@grindinggear.com if you need any assistance.
"
Sisaroth wrote:
Just fyi, it's something that non-developers often don't understand. Software development is EXTREMELY hard to predict/plan correctly. It's possible that 2 years there was just a rough draft of what a master could be, could be that it was already a lot more than that but still it takes a lot of time.

That's probably also why they give so little information about what they are currently working on, because it might take between 1 month or 1 year to finish and they don't know themselves how long it will take.

Also, see what happened with the trading system. (Or what didn't happen to it).

It's also why you should be very cautious whenever a developer sets the release date long before the date itself. Anything ubisoft released last year is a good example of that, release dates where known for quite a long time. Development probably went a lot slower than anticipated, release was a complete mess.

I'm studying Game Development at the moment at uni, so information like this is very interesting and useful. I knew it took a while, but 2+ years is news to me!

"
Gary_GGG wrote:
There are many things that have been in concepts long before they made their way into the game. I can remember talking to Chris about craftable chests back in 2011, which would later become the strongboxes.

Up late Gary :P?

I may not always agree with what you guys implement, but the level of depth and planning that goes into this game makes me respect GGG that much more. I've been loving 2.0! Good luck with future designs; I can't wait!
Act 5

Soon™

Im in love with The Awakening though. Still looking forward to new areas and monsters in the next mini xpac though :)
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info