Lag / ping flat line - please help resolve!

Hi,

I'm hoping there is someone out there who can help me resolve my issue I'm getting with my ping.

Issue: Every now and then, my ping will just 'flat line' and stay at one number (e.g consistently stay at 45 ms).

Some observations I have made during the 'flat line' stage:
- I can cast skills (e.g blink arrow) however the skill does not actually execute as I am not taken to the destination
- I am not disconnected as I can freely chat to my friend on Ventrilo who I am mapping with. Strangely enough, he can see me running around however I cannot see him moving at all.
- I can be mapping/playing for a good hour, then all of a sudden I will experience this issue. I will then close the application and reconnect, and it will persist for a good 10-15minutes. For example, i was doing a mud guyser and moment it happened, I could not even travel to the other side of the map without 'flat lining'. I ended up using all my remaining 5 portals pretty quickly in attempt to get to the other side of the map.
- I am running in predictive. Lockstep is unplayable for me (very jerky)

My conclusion is that it seems that I am having trouble receiving packets (as my screen is not updating) however I am able to send packets to the server (as my friend can see me moving).

Attempts to fix this include:
- Removing ADSL line filter and connecting straight to the wall
- Removing all other devices and using a wired connection to router
- Closing all applciations (e.g chrome, acquisition)
- Port forwarding the relevant POE ports
- Ensuring firewall does not have any restrictions for POE
- Attempted full screen mode

Please please please, someone help me resolve this issue? I haven't had this prior to v2.0

I am considering the below but not sure if any of these will even help:
- Buying new router
- Changing ISP's

WinMTR results over a long period where this happened continuously.
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| BoB2.iiNet - 0 | 8506 | 8506 | 0 | 0 | 58 | 0 |
| lo0.bng1.mel8.on.ii.net - 1 | 8418 | 8395 | 19 | 28 | 328 | 21 |
| ae7.cr1.mel8.on.ii.net - 1 | 8435 | 8416 | 19 | 29 | 353 | 20 |
| No response from host - 100 | 1703 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| ae6.dar02.mel01.networklayer.com - 1 | 8438 | 8420 | 32 | 41 | 303 | 33 |
| po2.fcr01b.mel01.networklayer.com - 1 | 8438 | 8420 | 32 | 41 | 322 | 38 |
| speedtest.mel01.softlayer.com - 1 | 8402 | 8375 | 32 | 41 | 400 | 37 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

IGN: Jux
Last edited by Jux2013 on Aug 24, 2015, 4:53:14 AM
Your 4th line is bad. Could be some line congestion or something going bad somewhere.

Are you running in full screen windowed? This has been causing weird issues lately and what your seeing could be a symptom of that. Try running on Full screen and see what happens.

Also, if your running lockstep, try going back to predictive to see what happens.

You really shouldn't need to buy a new router, unless it's ancient. If you have had problems with your ISP in the past with crap connections, it's something to consider, but it may not fix your issues.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
Thanks for your help. I ran full screen and unfortunately it didn't help.. still got my flatling ping lag

edit: I'm running predictive (edited my original post now) as lockstep is too jerky

Any other help would really be appreciated... i really don't want to rip to flat line ping :(
Last edited by Jux2013 on Aug 24, 2015, 4:54:29 AM
he is obviously running on hybrid or predictive, i am having the same problem, but i use lockstep, this caused my character freeze in place, when i do receive packets from the server side, the game will fast forward to the current time.
but soon break up again, my issue occur around 6pm - 11pm, when the traffic is high on the area, but it doesn't explain other games fine, i now play CS GO during that period, experiencing no problem with lag what so ever.
OP made a very nice discovery, the server is still getting the packets from the player, which is something new to me since i mainly solo.
well, hopefully this problem can be addressed in the future.
ign: dthem
Update: i called ISP and they did a few 'things' but didn't fix anything as i'm still getting the same issue

anyone with any ideas to fix the issue? its really bothering me and i feel like it will be the only reason i will rip
if anyone could help or just provide something I could try that really woudl be appreciated

when the issue happens, it pretty much renders my playtime useless as I end up burning all the portals before clearing the map... rip maps :(

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info