Life is already hard enough...

"

"WTF am I doing in this digital world, if I don't even feel like I am having fun anymore??"

Excellent question I used to ask myself everyday. Until I realized that I had nothing else to look forward to for "fun", and I lacked the energy to find new ways to have "fun".

What scared me the most was how much time I was wasting.

Also, a lot of people don't want to acknowledge the elephant in the room - video games are ADDICTIVE. Game "rewards" (i.e. level 100, unique find, six-link, boss kill, profit-making trade etc.) causes the same changes to your brain as those seen in alcoholics and drug addicts.

This is especially true for "open-end" games that you can never definitively finish. Grinding 38hrs to find "one more unique", or get that "last level", or sell that "last item"???

Obviously this is a VERY sensitive issue and many people would prefer to deny this. But if you want an answer to your question TraditionalGirl - that's one reason why.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Aug 28, 2015, 3:09:26 AM
"
Ceryneian wrote:
"

"WTF am I doing in this digital world, if I don't even feel like I am having fun anymore??"

Excellent question I used to ask myself everyday. Until I realized that I had nothing else to look forward to for "fun", and I lacked the energy to find new ways to have "fun".

Also, a lot of people don't want to acknowledge the elephant in the room - video games are ADDICTIVE. Game "rewards" (i.e. level 100, unique find, six-link, boss kill, profit-making trade etc.) causes the same changes to your brain as those seen in alcoholics and drug addicts.

This is especially true for "open-end" games that you can never definitively finish. Grinding 38hrs to find "one more unique", or get that "last level", or sell that "last item"???

Obviously this is a VERY sensitive issue and many people would prefer to deny this. But if you want an answer to your question TraditionalGirl - that's one reason why.

Well said.

Games are a nice escape from all the crap in the real world but at the end of the day you have to try and find that balance. A lot of people these days lose themselves and obsess over games/gambling/drugs anything that helps them escape from the problems of real life, but it only ends up adding to the problems.

Then you have the companies that take advantage of these human obsessions and they laughing all the way to the bank. cough GGG cough
"
CoAx wrote:
"
Ceryneian wrote:
"

Well said.

Games are a nice escape from all the crap in the real world but at the end of the day you have to try and find that balance. A lot of people these days lose themselves and obsess over games/gambling/drugs anything that helps them escape from the problems of real life, but it only ends up adding to the problems.

Then you have the companies that take advantage of these human obsessions and they laughing all the way to the bank. cough GGG cough

Doesn't matter name of game company. All they have same goals and abuse same gamers weakness - addiction. Addicted person cant control himself and its very complicated process, which involves chemical reactions in brain.
Nothing bad to spend some time and cash, while having fun at game. Nothing bad..till you cant say STOP anymore. Problems began, when game became main goal of your life and wife/job is only side quests ;)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info