Lightning Coil - armour equivalent

Hey guys, I was wondering, how much armour would be needed to have the same damage mitigation provided by LC?
Can someone do the maths? :)
Depends, link me your LC, tell me how much total armor you got with and without it and I'll tell you how much armor would a rare chest need to have to trump it.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Works better than u could expect from that 30%, I'm becoming a big fan of it. Plus -60%res isn't that heavy drawback later on
Burn all the orbs!
"
raics wrote:
Depends, link me your LC, tell me how much total armor you got with and without it and I'll tell you how much armor would a rare chest need to have to trump it.

Alright here it is :)

Armour with only LC on = 1567 / 13% reduction
Armour without LC = 2233 / 18% reduction
Armour with LC + other gear = 3800 / 27% reduction
Depends on the incoming hit, your build (armor%, Endurance Charges) etc.
I can tell you I am doing quite fine wih 12k armor, 7 charges and Soul of Steel.

Ok, with Coil the char sheet estimate is lying, you actually have 34% reduction because your armor goes against 70% of incoming physical damage.

So, you receive 66% of physical damage and 25% of lightning damage, which is 54% of incoming damage in total.

To reach that result, you would need 46% reduction which would require 8774 total armor, and that means you would need a chest with 2596 armor to get there (unless you forgot to mention you're running IR, in which case it would be much, much more).

Of course, this assumes getting the same estimate on paper, in reality LC would perform better because it would still be reasonably effective against big hits.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Aug 22, 2015, 1:09:34 PM
"
raics wrote:
To reach that result, you would need 46% reduction which would require 8774 total armor, and that means you would need a chest with 2596 armor to get there

I'm assuming this calculation ignores armor's synergy with Endurance Charges?

There is no definitive answer to this since armor doesn't follow a linear mitigation formula. The reduction % in your tooltip is relatively meaningless in most situations because #1. The amount of physical damage you're taking is going to change moment to moment in any practical situation (and therefore armor mitigation will be changing moment to moment) and #2 The tooltip assumes you're fighting monsters of the same level as you, which you never really are once you get into maps. So even if the game did a reasonable job at predicting mitigation values, they would still be BS.

Generally speaking, decent armor values are going to keep you from taking any noticeable damage by swarms of light physical damage as well as making medium-sized phys damage hits far easier to deal with (think frog leap slammers, devourers etc). But no realistic amount of armor is going to protect you from extremely heavy hitters. LC helps a little bit with small-medium phys damage, but really shines on bigger hits. LC also doesn't take nearly as much investment as armor.
IGN: Smegmazoid
Long live the new Flesh
"
Zed_ wrote:
I'm assuming this calculation ignores armor's synergy with Endurance Charges?

There is no synergy between Armour and Endurance Charges (neither benefits from the presence of the other); they do however stack additively. Anyways, I assume MadJoe gave numbers sans Endurance Charges, and as such Raics' calculation ignores their effect.
It would only marginally skew the answer; MadJoe still needs a killer body armour to get the same estimated Damage reduction against white monsters and a fair chunk more than that to get similar effective DR against big hits.

Basically LCoil is still god damn amazing. :)
Ok guys thanks for the answers, I was just curious on LC vs pure armour build.
At the moment I'm doing perfectly fine, lvl93 still 0 deaths so must be good enough mitigation.
Never ever went close to death except one time vs a ghosted orchard boss :D

This is my total mitigation btw:
7 charges = 56%
7 charges + granite = 89%

On top of that there is Taste of Hate + LC + Fortify.
7600 HP.

Now I wonder, whats my eHP? anyone able to calculate such thing?

EDIT: forgot also 18% evasion.
Last edited by MadJoe on Aug 22, 2015, 1:56:59 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info