[rant] So I played TERA up to level 30

I was never much of an MMO player either. The quests are usually so boring I get burnt out really fast, especially with games like Aura Kingdom, which are borderline brain dead. I try one every now and then. My most recent attempt was Echo of Soul, and that turned out the same. Archeage is probably the MMO I had the most fun with.

Anyway, I played Tera up until the mid-30s, I think. The combat was alright, but the quests were the same as in any generic MMO. The grind just wasn't fun. I heard the end-game had a bunch of content, though.

I also played GW2 on release. Me and another friend managed to get to Lv80 within the first week or so, since the crafting (especially cooking) granted so much EXP and was fairly easy to do. At the time, the end-game was near non-existant. The quests weren't too boring, and random events were fairly fun and granted a nice bit of EXP.

I think there was only 1 Lv80 dungeon, a world boss that spawned every 4(?) hours, and a couple world events, at the time. I was especially disappointed in Legendary weapons, the final tier of rarity. The materials and gold to make them took hundreds of hours to gather, but they were only slightly stronger than their Exotic counter-parts.

As of now, there seems to be a lot more stuff to do. I think they organize events for max level characters every now and then. There's even an expansion in the making. I think it's getting released this year.

Personally, I'd go with GW2 over Tera.
You make my ochinchin go doki doki.

Last edited by GooberM on Aug 24, 2015, 4:53:40 AM
Guild wars 1 had the best pvp content iv ever seen in a mmorpg. It had the highest number of build options iv ever seen as well. The combinations of skills were in the trillions i believe. I spent many thousands of hours in the arena.

When gw2 was released, i was so disappointed that all the depth in customization was utterly obliterated in this incarnation. Instead of real choices with thousands of skills that you can freely pick as in the original game, gw2 only had like 2 dozen skills to pick from... and you couldnt even pick whatever of those skills you wanted, you were limited. And then further limited by most skills only working well in combination with a specific other skill. So in the end there were less than a dozen builds per class, with no real room for originality or exploration.

It was a shame, because the game was fricking amazing with lots of innovation. If only they hadnt fucked up the core of the game.

Other games iv played and enjoyed are star trek online, atlantica online, and MUDs. They are still around and healthy and i suggest you try them out.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Am I like the only person to have played DDO here?

Anyways, forgot to mention I also tried WoW twice. Once a few years ago with a free pass from a friend and once more when it started to have that free until level 20 or w/e. Didn't like it at all.

Me and some friends are trying to start DDO back up, but for some reason it's not downloading onto my computer correctly so I'm going to dl it through steam and do a cache check.

The reason I like DDO so much is the same reason you guys like GW1 it seems though. Lots of customization and different build paths to take. One of my favourites was a bardbarian.
He was going to be 12/6/2 Barbarian/bard/Rogue going into Frenzied beserker and Warchanter while picking up the 2 levels of rogue for Evasion

Of course when it comes to skills and shit it's a lot more class bound but that's why they allow you to crossclass two times. If anyone ever wantsto look into DDO and wants someone to play with feel free to hit me up! I have my own (Very small) guild and TS server that you could join into every once in awhile.
Not my real account anymore, use it for forums while I work
You might also know me as "Thisisnotmyrealaccount" to which I forgot the E-mail for.
My real account is Einkil1, it's my steam account which is why I can't access it at work >.>
Just to add to GW2 experience. (Bow thief represent!)

World vs World is awesome for me (PvP yey!). Building catapults to siege. Noob team mates dying over and over. Sniping wannabee raiders. The big scary wave of countless people.

As what has been said, the streamlined, almost no grind model of leveling maybe it's own weakness. If it wasn't for the World PvP, I would have left earlier. The incentive to reroll is just not quite there.

I need more purple titles
"
Einkil wrote:
Am I like the only person to have played DDO here?

Anyways, forgot to mention I also tried WoW twice. Once a few years ago with a free pass from a friend and once more when it started to have that free until level 20 or w/e. Didn't like it at all.

Me and some friends are trying to start DDO back up, but for some reason it's not downloading onto my computer correctly so I'm going to dl it through steam and do a cache check.

The reason I like DDO so much is the same reason you guys like GW1 it seems though. Lots of customization and different build paths to take. One of my favourites was a bardbarian.
He was going to be 12/6/2 Barbarian/bard/Rogue going into Frenzied beserker and Warchanter while picking up the 2 levels of rogue for Evasion

Of course when it comes to skills and shit it's a lot more class bound but that's why they allow you to crossclass two times. If anyone ever wantsto look into DDO and wants someone to play with feel free to hit me up! I have my own (Very small) guild and TS server that you could join into every once in awhile.

DDO (dungeons and dragons online) was awesome up until the point where you had to rely on teammates to progress, taking control away from you and placing it in the hands of others. It lead to many hair pulling situations where you spent over an hour in a zone only to have a teammate fail in his duty and thus fail the mission for you, eliminating all gain and forcing you to try it again. So much frustration and rage i cant bring myself to play it again.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Just wanted to share this great vid about GW2 Heart of Thorns I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFgCkK_ikJg

It's a nutshell of what are the known features of HoT so far (Jun 26 was the upload date).

As a new player, no idea what he's talking about but it all sounded awesome :P
50usd is something I have to get approved though (to my wife).
PoE-TradeMacro - https://github.com/PoE-TradeMacro/POE-TradeMacro/
ExileTrade - http://exiletrade.github.io/
Tried, couldnt like it.

As someone who played Monster Hunter a lot before, I was falling asleep for most of the game; terrible combat pacing with basic hitbox system and braindead AI. For a game that advertised itself on having a "more active" combat, it sure failed to produce such in my eyes.
It feels like its in a weird limbo, where its nowhere near polished enough to be MH lvl nor is it "regular" MMO combat.

For the record the MMOS I played in the past were WoW: TBC, Guild Wars: Factions, Mabinogi, Metin 2, and some other free to play that I dont even remember the name of but seemed pretty good -despite the hackers(!??) flying around carpet bombing whole zones for fast exp.

I'd rate Tera as first in beauty of characters, lowest in UI (too much overlapping even after customizing size), and tied with Metin 2 as lowest in my list (though each have specific reasons for it)
Oblivious
started a tera character a while ago to play with a friend of mine (who was on vacation on that time).
the game is shiny and simple gameplay, steady char progression in the beginning. had some fun killing cute unicorns until my friend returned and it turned out i started on the wrong server.

transfering the char to another server wasn't possible because his server had no free char slots!! and would have cost real money!! lol.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
Spoiler
Firstly, I played the shit out of GW1 from its beta weekends onwards. Ran a guild there, handpicked from the various town chats and designed almost exclusively to sow chaotic fun all over the place. Two accounts, twenty one character slots. 5,000+ hours logged. Once I realised Guild Wars *wasn't* purely PvP, I was so into it it wasn't funny. It was the perfect mix of Diablo, Counter-Strike and an MMO. Some of the features in PoE are directly lifted from GW1, such as the town/area instancing model.

GW1 also had, hands down, the most brilliant skill/class system I've ever seen. It was based around an MTG style of build, where you collected skills from vendors and enemies (via capture sigils) and could equip 8 of them at will in any town. Every character was dual class, so even in the base game you had access to over 150 skills per character...and characters topped out at level 20. Top tier gear was a snap to get -- after that it was all about aesthetic upgrades.

Guild Wars 1 was a masterpiece.

So I have a deep investment in the world of Guild Wars, Tyria. GW2 was and is basically the MMO sequel to a much more tactical, customisable experience. Unfortunately the skill system was so dumbed down it disappointed a lot of veteran GW players. You only have one class per char and half your eight skills are dictated by weapon. The rest you unlock simply as you level. I heard in the early days, Gw2 planned to have skills you could only learn from masters scattered around Tyria, which sounded awesome, but at some point, one very influential dev decided to go the mass market route and made the skill/gear system absolutely uninspired but VERY easy to grasp.

Sound familiar?

That aside, Tyria is GORGEOUS. The world design is like nothing you've ever seen. Cities that were nothing more villages in GW1 can take hours to explore, but at the same time it's all so streamlined you don't have to. The number of aesthetic touches is impossible to count. And there are five distinct races, each with their own flavour and style. Massive world too. Simply massive. Again, because it's still guild wars, it has easy and very cheap fast travel and you can level up anywhere that is your level or below. Your character simply scales down but never up.

It's the most solo friendly MMO I've ever played. Events happen all around the world that you don't need to party up to take part in, and everyone who gets involved gets a reward based on their performance. There are literally dozens of events per zone.

Oh, when you die you actually get a specific set of skills called 'down skills' that can help you get back up by fending off enemies that try to chip away at your 'downed' health bar. Anyone near you can also focus on you to heal you to a point of mobility once more. Failing that, you have to respawn at the nearest waypoint or wait for a res. Most respawn. I don't believe there's an exp penalty. Maybe currency. Can't recall.

...I make it sound so incredible, and it really is. But as I also said, its lack of skill/gear depth is its own worse enemy. I think the GF and I hit around level 60 (of 80) and realised that we were doing the same thing every fight, even though the zones were vastly different and the little stories very engaging. The skills look incredible and all interact in very clever ways. A fire wall from an elementalist creates a field where an arrow fired through it becomes fiery. Stuff like that. But once you find your skill/gear groove, it can get very repetitive, especially for someone used to GW1's level of challenge and character customisation.

The name 'Guild Wars', by the way, is a sort of pun. Yes, guild vs guild combat is a big thing, but there were actual Guild Wars in Tyria's history, and they were pivotal in the development of the society of both games.

When all's said and done though, I think most of us are just waiting for a remake/remaster of Guild Wars 1, the 'good' Guild Wars.

Have to say I am in the exact same boat as you with Guild Wars 1. Probably close to 7000 hrs on that game with GWAMM title.

I also got bored of GW2 on launch pretty quick because I leveled so fast and had no one to dungeon with in conjunction with the skill issue.

However, a few weeks ago I was playing guild wars 2 for over a month and this time I tried other classes. I tried one weapon and was like heck yea. Then after I was comfortable I tried a different playstyle (weapon) and it seemed that I kept evolving my preference of both class and weapon (along with different skills). Mind you, this was ALL PVP. I also felt myself grow and was able to learn what I need from what I want.
IGN: EmptyPalms
"
SkyCore wrote:
Guild wars 1 had the best pvp content iv ever seen in a mmorpg. It had the highest number of build options iv ever seen as well. The combinations of skills were in the trillions i believe. I spent many thousands of hours in the arena.

When gw2 was released, i was so disappointed that all the depth in customization was utterly obliterated in this incarnation. Instead of real choices with thousands of skills that you can freely pick as in the original game, gw2 only had like 2 dozen skills to pick from... and you couldnt even pick whatever of those skills you wanted, you were limited. And then further limited by most skills only working well in combination with a specific other skill. So in the end there were less than a dozen builds per class, with no real room for originality or exploration.

It was a shame, because the game was fricking amazing with lots of innovation. If only they hadnt fucked up the core of the game.

Other games iv played and enjoyed are star trek online, atlantica online, and MUDs. They are still around and healthy and i suggest you try them out.

That's very understandable. I loved the Idea of having to craft a group of good adventurers, but from what I played you ever only really needed 2-3 other people and only needed them to be competent on hard/elite difficulties.
But when you would get those people who couldnt do their jobs it could get frustrating, but I feel thats even more emulative of D&D. (Me and my group just had one of our friends punch a guy in the face during a negotioation to make sure a BaneBlade was on our side in our DH2/Only war campaign. We were able to mostly salvage it, but much to the chagrin of the bloodied individual) When they are failing at their duty and being a douche it gets annoying. When you have a well oiled group though it's so great.

I guess thats just the way that type of game is though, high highs and low lows.

I was able to pretty easily solo up to around level 10-12 though, the Xoriat missions and Tempests spine I would normally need assistance with. I also had friends I would play with as well so I didnt have to worry too much about randies. You also only need about 3 people to do Tempests spine on normal or hard and only about 5 to do it on elite
Not my real account anymore, use it for forums while I work
You might also know me as "Thisisnotmyrealaccount" to which I forgot the E-mail for.
My real account is Einkil1, it's my steam account which is why I can't access it at work >.>

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info