Did GGG lie about crafting ?

"
JahIthBer89 wrote:
This has turned into a big case of Qarl's word versus Ventor's (and other community members who had plenty to gain by keeping this a secret).

Let's use our brains here guys, GGG has nothing to gain and plenty of professional integrity to lose by lying. Ventor and friends have plenty to gain and only a game reputation to lose, a reputation that hardly matters when you already have an economic stranglehold.

All evidence points to this having worked all along.

This is not true.
Qarl himself deleted his post that contradicted ventor, meaning he actually agreed with him, and in a sense confirming that this crafting method did not work in 1.3.

The problem is they made a major change to the crafting system without even hinting at it in patch notes.
And unless you decided to randomly blow away a few exalts on something that had been confirmed to not work, you had no way to find out.

Wherever GGG_Gary spilled the beans to a select few is only speculation.

Edit: Apparently chris claims the code was never changed. Which just makes qarl edit fishy...
Last edited by Triplebuze on Aug 20, 2015, 5:44:19 PM
I think there is an underlying problem in this whole crafting-method-issue that requires broader discussion.

It is a well known fact that GGG has the philosophy that players should discover game content and possible options on their own. In the past this has often proven to be a double edged sword, as ppl often figured out stuff that was appearantly not intnded and resulted in several nerfs and changes, which might lead one to believe that GGG is often times unaware or ignorant of the possible consequences their changes and additions of mechanics, skills and/or items may or may not have. Despite that their philosphie is usually acclaimed, especially when it comes to stuff like vendor recipes or harvesting obscure marine animals.

The problem arrises if this secretive philosphy is applied to changes that directly influence the economy and where the discovery is wealth gated. Due to the inherently competitive nature of a capitalistic economy it is basically guaranteed that the ppl who discover the changes are A) capable of using the discovery to their advantage and B) are WILLING to use it to their advantage. The incentive to keep the discovery a secret for as long as possible and to exploit your advantage as much as possible is just too big, no matter how much of an altruist you are.

Imho GGG should reevaluate their stance on being secretive about their games core mechanics. Noone can argue that crafting is NOT a core mechanic of the game. So how can it be that there is NO comprehensive official list of affixes and their type i.e.: caster-mod or attack-mod. Why does it always and everytime have to be the same way? When the discovery is actually made, that is when the knowledge is public, the cards are already dealt and the ppl who actually discovered the stuff already used their knowledge to become rich.

It is very much the same situation as with the cynical joke about the self-help guides. If any author of a self-help guide on "how to become rich" was actually interested in helping his readers he should only write one line: "write a self-help guide on how to become rich".

regards
Hold on to yer shite load o´ bloody barnacles on me arse-cockles, me hearty!

IGN: Trapsdrubel

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give moar Power Creep Pls

"
Druga1757 wrote:

So why Qarl edited his post saying that Ventor was wrong ?
And it's very unlikely that Ventor would deliberately lie in that case, even if he would do that to protect a business..
IGN TylordRampage
"
Druga1757 wrote:

I guess the next question is: how much spaghetti is their code? Dozens of different people claimed they tried it and it didn't work before, maybe something else altered the behavior of the meta effects.
"
Zoroch wrote:
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
While we dont have any solid reason to believe any of these for sure, saying nothing at this point, doing anything short of putting the entire thing on the table where its visible and understandable by everyone is in itself suspicious and hence potentially incriminating. If theres nothing to hide, why not be 100% transparent and put the facts out there?

Simple enough; they might not have all the facts either. Making baseless and possibly false public statements at this time could be a very bad idea until they've got at least a basic internal investigation done. That might take a while unless they're better prepared for stuff like this than I think they are.

well it was a simple yes/no on something they do know, if it was changed or not. the rest of the hot air who cares, the only thing that matters in terms of GGGs involvement can be solved by saying this

"
chris_wilson wrote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this why everyone was excited about Crafting Metamods in the Forsaken Masters release almost a year ago?

Edit: Now that I'm at the office, I've checked and can confirm this has functioned in this way since it was initially released. The code has not been modified since the first implementation. People who say it was changed in 2.0.0 are incorrect.

which he has now said, kudos to druga for the linkup. If the answer was yes, it was changed in 2.0, then there would have been further issues but honestly at that point even the fact they changed it without informing us would have been a reputation breaker in itself. That quote just shuts down the vast majority of the grey area drama.

"
Malone wrote:
"
Druga1757 wrote:

So why Qarl edited his post saying that Ventor was wrong ?
And it's very unlikely that Ventor would deliberately lie in that case, even if he would do that to protect a business..

presumably because it was felt it was not GGGs place to reveal mechanics that are designed for players to discover and then use as they see fit like the 20% gcp recipe or an over powered build combo.

Maybe ventor simply presumed and haddent tried it.
This "ggg-lied" thing is kindergarten.

All that has to be looked after is, that these guys used selfmade trawler-software checking inventories, chat and whatnot of players for mirrors.

Thats equal to a bot,maphack or whatever.

Also it has to be seen if there was third-party website interactions.(orbs being sold to shady websites)

About qarls post: he definetly not LIED , he maybe didnt know better, therefore deleted his post.
so please focus on the important things here.
Last edited by voodoojin on Aug 20, 2015, 6:23:03 PM
"Qarl himself deleted his post that contradicted ventor, meaning he actually agreed with him,"

because this is no0t a huge faulty leap in logic /s

some people are just not wired for logics I guess.

lol...

"So it's clear. It's just Ventor that lied to keep others from finding out."

the possibility that he made a bad assumption, possibly based oin ghudda's eternal findings, apparently doesn't exist. just zip around the logic sphere, you have to hit on something eventually eh?

anyways, he said it away from the official forum or in game chat where ggg have the ability to just discretely remove bad information if needed, which would have been the best course of action for the incorrect statements made.
Hey...is this thing on?
Last edited by LostForm on Aug 20, 2015, 6:29:57 PM
"
"
aldorus wrote:
The other threads regarding same situation disappeared.
Therefore, this one is going to, as well.

It's right there.

Dude, if its not on the first page it doesn't exist. you can't possibly expect us to use those weird little symbols at the bottom of the forum page.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info