[2.2, HC] Asta's "Lioneye's Archery" - A High Armor/HP Tornado Shot Archer

Should I look for a bow with hight DPS or pDPS?
@Greyvaris
Frenzy for culling the last 10% of rares and bosses (for extra loot). Also, im using it to maintain my Frenzy charges. Frezny, the gem itself, is out to date and in a very bad spot at the moment.
edit: You might dont know it, so ill explain (npnp, we all started at some point :)). Culling strike is a gem, that allows you to 1-shot a mob if it has 10% or less HP. In combination withh item rarity gem, you get an extra % of rare items.

@f0nko
For leveling you can go for DPS, end-game wise, you need a pure phys bow, since everything i've got is scaling the base. (Hatred, Add Fire, Skilltree, flat phys on gear)

@rockmassif,DoIevenLift
I really dont think BM would be any improvement. You also scaling with WED only ~40% added fire, which is like a 1.24 multiplier. But i think on a budget version, there are some pros.

@paccolo
Megi is doing the job very well. At some point, the rare with 24% inc phys is just better.
Welcome to the greatest of arenas, Duelist. God is watching you.

Last edited by Astarte911 on Oct 20, 2015, 2:36:14 AM
Nice build. I gave up on archers but the jewel makes a tank possible again so I tried out a version of your build in 1mosc.

I really wanted to get Bone Breaker so I went after it with 3 Fall jewels - sacrificing 1 passive to get it but it's cool for now. I may drop Bone Breaker if my survivability suffers later on but for now it works.

Here is a video of me playing recklessly just trying it out in whatever time is left in the current league: Lioneye's Archery Variation. I got up to 70 in only a few days so that speaks volume for the build. I did however had the funds from playing through already with my Marauder - who is 85 - so it was a bit easier to gear up. It may be problematic to gear up early on I suppose.

I have the chest and a better bow in Standard so that will catapult the build at some point for sure. I went more offense than defense initially but now it's just focusing on defense.

Again this is just a variation. I know you run Grace and have other stuff configured a bit differently, but still kudos to bringing the use of the jewels to light. I'll switch to Grace when I wield my gg bow and have no need for the deeps I currently get from Hatred.

Edit: added a video with 3xFall + Aim for more deeps now (I lost track of the damn box in the last few minutes thanks to my loot filter + crappy drop). I probably won't grind much further waiting for the league to end but I'll push him to 90-ish in Standard at some point for sure.
✰CARD✰ The Survivalist
I can’t buy any more big supporter packs because the forum only supports showing 7 legacy tags.
Last edited by cgexile on Oct 21, 2015, 7:58:55 AM
Alternatives for Tornado Shot? I know it clears good and may be used on bosses too, but how do the other skills fair? I was wondering about Ice Shot (safety) or LA (shock and clear speed)...I'm guessing I would use WED in those cases...any suggestions? Should I stick with TS? I'm on a budget, mind you...

Also, I'm planning on going mana, so I can avoid BM gem...something like this. I took Sovereignty so I can use Hatred and Grace...should I dump it?

Last edited by IANVS on Oct 24, 2015, 10:48:02 PM
Why not use Lioneye's Glare? This would give you way more deeps and let you crit.
"
dadadok wrote:
Why not use Lioneye's Glare? This would give you way more deeps and let you crit.

I think the OP has left the building or on vaca - so I'll answer.

It's because with RT you can't crit, and if you don't choose RT, you will crit but you will miss 1/5 or 2/10 times because you're not focused on dex, and therefore it would not be a reliable tank build if you miss here and there. That miss or two would be death in end-game. RT gives you consistent max non-crit damage.
✰CARD✰ The Survivalist
I can’t buy any more big supporter packs because the forum only supports showing 7 legacy tags.
You can forego using RT if you use a Lioneye's Glare that's true.

But since this build focuses mainly on the left side of the tree, RT is altogether not that far (and going crit isn't worth it for a HP/armor tank build) and it allows you to use a bow with better pDPS than Lioneye's, which result in better DPS overall (even with the loss of the crit, 5% is minimal)
I love this build. Running darkshrine HC with it.
I'm not very good, so I'm far from end game and lack any serious skill-tree theory crafting talents.

Anyhow, I'm using the scion and I start with the projile damage to merge with sentinel then follow the tree as published.
I'm wondering if instead of the first two projectile damage I travel to melee damage and strength, path of the warrior, the scion wheel of life then come back up the projectile damage, grab that jewel node and dump a lioneye's fall jewel in there.

You effectively gain 30% more damage to bows.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
i looked and behold
a Pale horse
his name that rode on him
was Death
and hell followed with him
I take just the usual brake before next big league, since 1M is too short for me and im enjoying new content/balances at league start pretty much

Most stuff was answered correctly, of course, since there are much better theorycrafters out there, than me.. ;)

However, if you start with scion, i wouldnt take the melee nodes and dumb L-Fall in there. Just take the Proj Dmg nodes and use a dmg Jewel in that slot, which saves you the passives, while you still get the dmg.

Welcome to the greatest of arenas, Duelist. God is watching you.

Hey Asta, mad props to you.
Just found your build today!

I always loved the concept of such a tanky bow duelist as it is something I wanted to build for a long time myeslf when I last played a year+ ago. Now that I am back into the game I see items like that Lioneye's Jewel and ulitmately your build proves that something like that actually works!

To me this is the build-concept of the year already!
Planning to build something around that in the next 4m league.

Now, I want to share you my thoughts I had over the last week theorycrafting that would work great in conjunction with the base structures your character provides.
NOTE: Optimized around a 5-link!

(I will be using the video-version of your build for comparison which includes the death rush ring.)
First of all, lets take your build as it stands and exchange some items:

We exchange Lioneye's Vision with a Daresso's Defiance.

->

Death Rush rings needs to go (To expensive)
-> [Generic High Physical damage, Life, Chaos/Ele Res. Ring]

Ignoring Gems
, these changes should balance out themselves perfectly!

We Gain:
- Slightly more armor due to Daresso's Higher numbers with IR. Even surpasses the armor lost with Death rush.
- Slightly more HP as we take off the Death Rush ring and have options for more HP that way.
- 6% Dodge for free and we can stack Endurance Charges without a hassle for whenever we do not get hit.

-Onslaught just gets moved from one item to the other, but its more budget friendly so thats a gain aswell.

We Loose:
- Nothing really, if we exclude gems.

The Problem:

We loose the free option for a 7-link (Pierce via Lioneye's Vision) or in my case a 6-link as I want to plan this around an actual 5-link (I am a cheap fellow)
This is indeed a problem because I do also plan on using Drillneck, its just the most bang for the slot available.

The Workaround:
We need to drop Bloodmagic. If we drop the Bloodmagic gem, and put in a pierce one we have now MORE damage (due to drillneck) as a 5 link Lioneye's Vision.
This damage gained in combination with the second ring I was talking about earlier that must have a high Phys.Damage roll (Probably Iron Ring aswell) will make up for the loss of the 'Hatred Aura', in order to cast on mana again.

Instead of 'Hatred' we pick up 'Arcitc Armor'. Now I just need to figure out where the hell I'll be getting mana leech from.

Overall this should all balance itself out rather nicely, I suspect the drop of hatred will result in a slight dps drop still, even with the workaround. BUT, we gain a significant increase in defense due to higher armor, life and Arctic Armor.

So, the mana leech will be the only problem now, but I have not taken a look at the passives that much yet. I'd much rather get some first hand feedback for now and see where we can get this idea to.

Edit: Oh, one big CON. We loose the lioneye's theme, I am sorry :D
Meta-game holds no value - Play with what you like!
Last edited by Ycan on Nov 15, 2015, 9:07:46 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info