Name games where being powerfull geared and high leveled doesnt grant access to end content

Why should nothing but time investment grant you access to endgame content?

Why shouldn't being consistent, skilled and knowledgeable in the game in all of it's aspects grant you access to that content instead?

High Levels and good gear are assistance for you to reach the top, not the sole means to reach the top.
That's straight up Dark souls lol
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
reibuorumai wrote:

Why shouldn't being consistent, skilled and knowledgeable in the game in all of it's aspects grant you access to that content instead?

High Levels and good gear are assistance for you to reach the top, not the sole means to reach the top.

It's an aRPG, an action role playing game.

A lot of people like heavy trading, a lot of people don't like trading at all, there are people between.
We often see feedback how people just don't want their content and progression gated by an amount of currency that requires several more people to find and then for them to acquire it via trading in order to invest into mapping. This feedback comes from all people, across the spectrum.

We then get people, like quoted here, who think content should be gated behind trading, behind an amount of currency that several other people are required to find and you to acquire. The reasoning is that you should be required to partake in all aspects of the aRPG.

I wonder, how would these people feel if, in this role playing game, they were also required to attend 3 vampire turkey meetings, ascend to a high rank in Wraeclast People's Front, get 3,000 public likes on their back story, walk everywhere not run (if they could) and never speak out of character without prefixing the text with [OOC]?

I mean, it's a role playing game, surely one must role play to the fullest in order to access content and progress.

Role playing in an aRPG is as 'uhhh, no thanks' as trading to many people, something they are fine with people doing, who enjoy that, cool. But FFS don't gate content, challenge, progression behind it.

Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Aug 17, 2015, 4:36:14 PM
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
reibuorumai wrote:

-Snip-

Role playing in an aRPG is as 'uhhh, no thanks' as trading to many people, something they are fine with people doing, who enjoy that, cool. But FFS don't gate content, challenge, progression behind it.

Gated endgame content comes with a lot of benefits as well. The guy who is willing to spend 1000 hours (completely made up number I have no idea how long it takes) can get to level 100, and now it actually feels like an accomplishment.

78+ maps are rare and/or expensive, so getting one is an exciting break from the monotony of grinding

If you put enough time into this game you can and will experience every single bit of content, at varying paces for varying players. There are some people who are already level 100 in warbands and have experienced every bit of new content that awakening brought to the table. I can't say the same for myself, but it's not because of some mysterious "content gating" as you refer to it. It's simply because they put a lot more time and effort into the game than I have, and they were rewarded for it.

In that sense "content gating" as you call it, merely increases the longevity of the game and forces people to grind out in stages, only achieving the next tier once they've put sufficient time into previous tiers. Tiered progression is an okay design for a game like this focused on longevity and rng, because it opens up a lot of different approaches to the game for different players. Suddenly the guy who likes to play levels 1-85 and reroll doesn't feel ripped off because he's not farming level 82 maps back to back, and the guy who likes to grind for level 100 has an option to do so faster if he's willing to pony up the cost that a new character would be.

Note- regarding those mid tier 74-78 maps, GGG already released a post somewhere mentioning that they were buffing those drop rates in the next patch. So if that's your only concern it's already being addressed and you're probably in the right here, but there's really no need to discuss that particular issue further until the patch goes through.
Every Saturday = National Booze n Poe Day
Last edited by Nasreth on Aug 17, 2015, 4:48:56 PM
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
reibuorumai wrote:

We then get people, like quoted here, who think content should be gated behind trading, behind an amount of currency that several other people are required to find and you to acquire. The reasoning is that you should be required to partake in all aspects of the aRPG.

..What.

I never said content should be gated behind trading, I said content should be gated behind a multi-faceted, advanced skill set of many things. Stop pushing your anti-trading agenda on to my words.

Besides, content isn't gated behind trading, it just gets you there faster. Quite frankly, there's nothing wrong with it taking a long time to reach the top; there's absolutely nothing wrong with having a lofty goal (Other than upsetting people who like instant gratification) that few achieve. You aren't even meant to get to lv100 easily if at all in the first place, so I don't even see the sense in complaining about it.

I know this is a really hard thing to accept but.. This is just the kind of game where if you can't get to the top, you just aren't good enough. The content in this game is all doable, people have done it all already and people will do it all again in the future.

The rest of your post is just past the point of absurdity and Charan here gave you a far more legitimate response than it deserves. But, For the record, while yes, it is an ARPG, it is an economy based APRG. And that is quite literally one of the core aspects of the game, in the first paragraph of how the explain the game to you. The fact that you can reach the top, skill allowing, while ignoring a core mechanic speaks to how forgiving the game actually is, tbh.
Pretty much all MMOs, by their nature.

GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
reibuorumai wrote:
"
TheAnuhart wrote:
"
reibuorumai wrote:

..What.

I never said content should be gated behind trading, I said content should be gated behind a multi-faceted, advanced skill set of many things. Stop pushing your anti-trading agenda on to my words. ..rant...

I know exactly what you said, all of its aspects.

My point, which was quite clear, was would you still maintain this view if, included in that all, were role playing activities?

The rest of your post I think was aimed at someone else? Failed to include another quote, maybe?

Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Aug 18, 2015, 8:07:05 AM
But it is not gated behind those hypotheticles. The biggest gate is time. Although, for a solo player even the time investment won't keep you at the top tier (a bit of a lottery to even get there atm). I don't have a problem with that if 78 maps are able to be maintained. This means you will be playing in the higher maps fairly regularly but not consistently.
In a game where skill is nothing and time investment/knowledge is everything, the only way for GGG to let the "no-lifers" have something for themselves, is gating it behind RNG/time investment.

In a game that is being advertised as "hard core", the "no-lifers" needs something the "noobs" cant reach, or they will riot. And the "noobs" will always riot when there's something they can't reach.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
"
TheAnuhart wrote:

I wonder, how would these people feel if, in this role playing game, they were also required to attend 3 vampire turkey meetings, ascend to a high rank in Wraeclast People's Front, get 3,000 public likes on their back story, walk everywhere not run (if they could) and never speak out of character without prefixing the text with [OOC]?

Hell, you weren't even allowed to preface publicly seen text with 'ooc' on the roleplay servers of Dark Age of Camelot. You were in character or you were reported. It was fucking amazing.

Thanks. That line just forced me to watch old DaoC videos on youtube and I am now in painful nostalgia. :P
Perception is reality.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info