PoE's performance is poor for a lot of people

"
ElChivoDiablo wrote:
Bumping this thread, probably to no avail.

Previously I was running PoE on an AMD Phenom X4, Radeon 7850 2GB and 4GB of RAM (DDR2 0.0), with everything maxed out and had only minor issues here and there. But now... I just upgraded my machine to an AMD FX 6300, Radeon R9 380 4GB and 16GB system RAM, and the lag is unreal. Perandus boxes drop my FPS to single digits, the lava traps in the Labyrinth also drop me to single digits, and regular gameplay sees lock ups on a regular basis. Note that I am running 2 SSDs (OCZ Vertex and Sandisk Extreme), and I'm hardwired on a 200MB+ connection. Literally every other game runs max settings without any issue, but PoE is so bad now.

It's pretty sad that my machine is nearly twice as powerful as it was before, but somehow my performance has degraded horribly in this game. I'll try some tweaks and what not, but just wanted to vent my frustration at this.

Yeah, I have the same problem. I start getting fps drops in old locations: Merveil fight, Malachai, Kaoms realm.

maybe the problem lies alongside new MTXs?
3.0 IC Elemental Facebreaker Ascendant (HHC) - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1972518
2.6 Burning torpedo BLS Berserker(HC) - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1866111
2.5 HoWA BF Elemental Raider - Hybrid 800+int - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1785450
+1

I have posted time and time again about content improvements over content additions being the most essential improvement POE needs. It's such a good game but when I talk to people about it I can't honestly tell them that the performance is good enough to warrant the time investment needed to learn the game. I play styles and builds that allow me to work around lag spikes because I love the game but I understand that is not a suitable solution for everyone.
Labyrinth fire floor traps reduce the game to a slideshow with >1 FPS. Perandus boxes are just as bad.

It seems like ground effects have become a bit better for me, aside from burning ground. that's still mostly unplayable.

If I hadn't rolled a maxblock char I would have probably quit this league already. It's insanely fun but the only reason I survive these framerate drops is because I can just afk in the middle if I have to. It's really really akward this league. :/
CliveHowlitzer wrote:

I am now too addicted to that feeling of being kicked in the nuts when you die.
"
Damac0101 wrote:

Yeah, I have the same problem. I start getting fps drops in old locations: Merveil fight, Malachai, Kaoms realm.

maybe the problem lies alongside new MTXs?

I heard some people use PoeSmoother to disable ground effects/MTX effects/discharge animation, and it helps a lot.

I don't use such because I'm a bit leery of trojans...
Quoting Saltychipmunk:
...I look at the new act 5 boss where you have to hide behind the statues to survive the bullet hell and all I can think is... how the fuck are zombies going to survive that?

They don't know what hiding is... they don't know what dodging is... they are morons.
Suggestion: People who suffer from performance issues, pls add some description maybe of Your current system also? Seeing many do not have info of their system, some do.

Thinking, description of problem can maybe be more useful to GGG if they get info of CPU, GPU(s), RAM, OS in use, and such (and the more the better maybe?), at the same post with some performance issue. This could possibly help GGG find causes of described issues, and therefore fasten up fixes.

If some who has posted here something, can maybe use "edit" to add such info, if possible?

And if someone knows better, that this type of thing is not needed, please do correct me, don't want to cause people to do this, if it would have no help... was only a thought, this is something I do not know nothing about :)

EDIT:
Spoiler
Can use the "spoiler" button above to hide the system info, to avoid making this hard to read, this thread. Since adding info would otherwise maybe make posts looong.

EDIT: Made own thread for this
Last edited by ForciblyBaptized on Mar 16, 2016, 7:01:32 PM
ya after the ascendancy hit i cant even run in parties that have anytype of laggy skills or lag or anything that can lag. before ascendancy my only problems were loading screens and strongboxes. the strongbox lag is the only thing that got fixed for me the rest just went out window im on forums bc i just cant deal with lag and probably will go back to d3. my problems probably first started when the new compiler got introduced bc i was in the 1% that couldn't run game. now its like any lag even firestorm bc my friend jeff has been running the same build for last 2 seasons and i never had a problem now i lag to crash or he lags when we both are together its just crazy how bad this got. he also cant play sound on his comp because he crashes when he has sound on. so if anyone has any advice. like i hope ggg sees this and writes me but that probably wont happen.
rawrawr
It gets worse w/ new content :-/ I can't see myself supporting this game financially in the future if I can't really play it.
GGG listens to its fans!!! Thank you!
"
It gets worse w/ new content :-/ I can't see myself supporting this game financially in the future if I can't really play it.

Agree, also adding up to that monsters insane damage and boss crazy damage makes even 1 small lag or spike dead instantly: HC rip or 10% lost exp and people left the game.
Necropolis master craft service Necropolis My IGN TreeOfDead
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371 Vouch
Necropolis veiled crafting all service all crafts mods
Necropolis SC master craft service Necropolis SC craft mod!
Veiled crafting Service Necropolis craft PM: TreeOfDead
There needs to be more options in game to lower effects/textures. Why is medium the lowest option? Why is there not a low setting? Why is there not a setting to lower particle effects?

If Diablo 3 did anything right, they have made efforts to lower effects to improve performance.

Please, dedicate the next major patches to improving performance and giving more options.
So just to verify that I'm not having an OS or driver issue, I reinstalled OS, reinstalled PoE, made sure all drivers were up to date and performance is still terrible. How can I run Witcher 3 at ultra settings, but not PoE at its max? It feels to me like this is all a cpu issue, and I notice that PoE only uses the first 4 out of 6 cores on my cpu. Even then the cpu usage across cores is very lopsided, with cores 1/3 seeing minimum usage, while cores 0/2 see the most.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info