PoE's performance is poor for a lot of people

"
Opinionated wrote:
"
You have to buy an SSD to even make the game less frustrating.

I guess you aren't rooting for the usb 3.0 :(

If you mean using a USB 3.0 Flash drive with the game on it, that's basically equivalent to using an SSD. It is a Solid-State Drive after all since both an internal SSD and an external USB drive are NAND-based Flash memory.

If we're looking at the best performance, USB 3.1 is capped at 10Gbit/s data transfer versus SATA drives which can get up to 16Gbit/s data transfer. SATA is clearly the better way to go for performance.

But if price is the main thing to think about then having PoE on a USB 3.1 stick is a far better alternative than getting a new hard drive. It's quite cheap to get a 16 gig stick to store only PoE and maybe some other stuff on it.
Last edited by Jackinthegreen on Aug 24, 2015, 2:32:07 AM
I have tried it out as well. It seems kinda stupid though... I've been playing PoE through a USB recently and it does load areas faster. The only problem is the stuttering on the screen sometimes.
Just another Forum Signature in a Sea of Signatures.
It seems to get worse when you alt-tab to windows and back somehow. Like it breaks vsync or whatever i dno im no expert.
Last edited by proz9c on Aug 24, 2015, 9:47:48 AM
"
proz9c wrote:
It seems to get worse when you alt-tab to windows and back somehow. Like it breaks vsync or whatever i dno im no expert.

I have noticed the same thing.
Maybe alt-tabbing back and forth causes a process analyzer to kick in?
echo "The world is full of smart people" |sed -e 's/smart people/sheep/'
+1

This is an incredible post. I agree with all the points in the opening post. I really do think that turning the settings down should help also, because at the moment I don't think they help at all! I also wouldn't mind if GGG spent time on this instead of new content for a while!
"
carlrules13 wrote:
i have a gtx 970, i7 5930k, 16gb ram and when playing a fracture map even my frame rate drops stupidly...

I have a 4930k @ 4,5ghz , 32gb ram 2400mhz, Sli gtx 980 @ 1400mhz and i got the same issue.
Playing @ 1440P 144Hz Asus Rog Gsync monitor and the fps is like a rollercoaster, 144-144-144-40-35-60-144-144-40 and so on.

"
SaiyanZ wrote:
Just bought an EVGA GTX 970 SSC (super super clocked) gpu. Testing it out now. Clocks over 1400mhz without overclocking. Cuts through the game like butter.

Upgraded from an HD7870 which was decent but couldn't run certain effects smoothly.

So this f2p indie game, which began production in 2006 and has had players in it since 2010 (alpha test) could not run certain effects on a card that was made in 2012 and which cost $350 at the time that card launched? And there are people that see no issue with the result being that you had to update to a card that is less than a year old (and again at $350+) just to play this game smoothly after it's already had players in it for 5 years? Are we really supposed to keep buying a $350 video card every 2-3 years just to avoid this game turning into a slideshow?
Last edited by Jiero on Aug 24, 2015, 10:49:37 PM
Alt-Tabbing also diverts processing from the client to other windows/applications running hence why it gets frame rate chopped up. When I play PoE I usually close other open Windows to maximize performance.
Just another Forum Signature in a Sea of Signatures.
"
Jiero wrote:
"
SaiyanZ wrote:
Just bought an EVGA GTX 970 SSC (super super clocked) gpu. Testing it out now. Clocks over 1400mhz without overclocking. Cuts through the game like butter.

Upgraded from an HD7870 which was decent but couldn't run certain effects smoothly.

So this f2p indie game, which began production in 2006 and has had players in it since 2010 (alpha test) could not run certain effects on a card that was made in 2012 and which cost $350 at the time that card launched? And there are people that see no issue with the result being that you had to update to a card that is less than a year old (and again at $350+) just to play this game smoothly after it's already had players in it for 5 years? Are we really supposed to keep buying a $350 video card every 2-3 years just to avoid this game turning into a slideshow?

It doesn't matter what card you have. Enough stuff gets on screen, fps will go down. See the post above the guy running 2 x 980 on sli. I always thought (and experienced) that PoE is more dependant on CPU anyway.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info