[2.0]Damage immune CoC boss killer by Markusz - permanent Immortal Call and max resists

Hello there!

I made this build as a swap character to kill the most dangerous and hardest bosses in the game, with ease : )

The build's focus is strictly boss killing. It is not meant to be Hardcore and Map-clear viable, otherwise it would lose from it's main purpose.

The first boss killing showcase video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5Krbw13KlI

About the video
In the video I showed you my first encounters of these bosses with this build. You can see the Core boss kill achievement popping up at the end.

I went for high defense, because failure wasn't an option, so my dps was lower. I ran Temporal Chains map mod, which made the Flask effects and Immortal Call be on for longer, giving more time to gain back flask charges, granting more safety.

You can see the boss fight durations if you watch my ingame clock on the video.

At first I had a different endurance charge generation technique: rare ring instead of Romira's and having Cold Snap. This combination generates endurance charges much slower, being much riskier against heavy physical damage fights, but giving me higher dps (5 power charges up alltime, cold snap having high damage). This can be seen in the video at the Dominus and Daresso fights.

Gear:

Swaps for chaos damage bosses (80 chaos resist with Saffell's):

Tree (level 89):
LINK

Bandits: Oak (Life), Passive, Oak (Endurance charge)

Gear improvements I'm missing
- level21 main Spells
- level23 Resist auras for 100% resist on all elements
- +1 all gems Voll's Protector
- Chaos resist on main gear
- higher rolls on everything

Mechanics:
Voll's Protecor and Romira's Banquet is used to generate power charges with any hit you deal, Voll's with crits, and Romira's with non-crits.
Romira's Banquet consumes power charges at a very rapid rate, and Voll's Devotion generates endurance charges when a power charge is consumed.
The main skill is Molten Strike, with CoC, and Immortal Call, which is casted in about every 3 seconds, as often as the cooldown lets it, granting permanent physical damage immunity.
Saffell's Frame, 3 Purities and Surgeon resist flasks are used to keep up very high resists (100% fire, 99% cold and lightning in my case). I don't use any level23 auras, which would give an additional maximum resist percent.
Chaos resist gear is only swapped for heavy chaos damage bosses, otherwise it is not needed at all.

DPS amount

Overall the build has decent DPS with my current setup, and It can be quite high with a more offensive setup, but keep in mind that such damage immunity comes with the cost of lower dps, compared to a version without the defensive options took in this build.

However on the video it seems low, because
1. Core Malachai has a shitton of life
2. Map had Temporal Chains, which greatly reduced my DPS
3. Ran a defensive gear setup

I did not calculate exact dps numbers because this build is not about being tooltip warrior and I was also lazy :P

Main damage source spell choices, Arctic Breath, Glacial Cascade, Flame Surge, Cold Snap

You can use any 2 of the Arctic Breath, Glacial Cascade, Flame Surge combination however you like.

Cold Snap should be used only when you don't use Romira, as an alternative to consume Power Charges.

Virtues of the listed skills:
Arctic Breath:
- Chilled ground. If a boss moves too much (Shavs) you might lose procs, get too few flask charges, or too slow Immortal Calls. AB slows them down. Chills everything except Atziri.

Glacial Cascade:
- Can hit same target multiple times
- Big AoE relative to the other 2 skills. Hits adds in medium distance

Flame Surge:
- 50% more damage bonus triggered by both RF standing next to the boss or ignite from Molten Strike critting.

If you want to clear areas you can try Ice Nova.

CI build version
Having a CI version of this build was propounded to be immune to Chaos damage.

Based on my experience a CI version is not needed, and less viable than the life setup because:
- 80% Chaos resistance can be achieved with swapping out 3 gear pieces and a flask, and Saffell's frame giving +5% max resist to chaos damage too. This high chaos resistance is proved to be easly enough for the chaos damage bosses.
- Would not be able to run RF (RF cannot be casted at 1 life).
- Build would have way lower dps, crit chance, IC proc rate because the Helmet and Glove slots would have to be rare pieces with high ES to achieve a decent amount of hp pool.
- Cannot use Life flasks

Why even need a HP pool?
Keep in mind this build is only damage immune if it is constantly hitting a target, and hitting flasks. Before some boss fights you have to kite around monsters to generate Endurance charges for the first Immortal Call. You have to survive these prologues, and also If you miss hitting flasks during a long boss fight, it is a nice thing to survive.

Why need self-cast Enduring Cry and Immortal Call
Some bosses can one-shot you if you don't have physical immunity, so you have to go in with Endurnace charges, and cast the first Immortal Call manually, so the boss can't damage you at all. To go in with endurance charges up you have to cast Enduring Cry before the arena room, next to some monsters, so when clearing the map keep some monsters alive.

Heavy Chaos damage bosses
Swapping 3 rare pieces, the belt, the ring and the boots, and also a flask I get 80% chaos resistance (+5% from Saffell's). This amount proved to be enough against the hardest Chaos damage bosses.

Why use Molten Strike?
In my opinion Molten Strike is generates the most hits on a single target. Based on many builds (Mjölner) running this skill is the best to proc hits at close range.

Cyclone vs Molten Strike
Cyclone cannot name-lock monsters any more, but Molten Strike can, which alone is a very high advantage, plus MS generates more hits on single target.

Why not use Cold Snap instead of Romira's?

I actually ran that for a long time, but Cold Snap consumes power charges way slower than Romira's. That variant is in the video at Daresso and Dominus, but it's far more risky, because immortal call can fall of much easier, I explain why:

The Immortal Call's cooldown will end sooner than the duration (3s vs 5s), and when cd ends the CoC will cast it again, with whaterver amount of charges I have, so most important thing is to regenerate the Endurance charges as soon as possible when Immortal Call is cast, and Romira does that way better.

In a boss fight where the boss moves a lot, It can happen that right after the Immortal Call cooldown is started the boss starts to move, the charge generation stop due to the lack of hits, and I have only 1-2 seconds to get to the maximum Endurance charges, which is uncertain with the Cold Snap version.

Damagewise Cold Snap is higher DPS in itself, and it also allows to keep up more power charges

Why use Voll's Protector?
The builds started without Romira's and with Cold Snap, so it was the only source of Power Charges. In the current version it still grants many power charges, and it is a cheap base. The build should be still viable without VP if you want to try a different chest.

Discharge
It has been asked if this build could use Discharge as it's damage source:
NO. The endurance charges are built up in multiple hits, and using Discharge would cause to lose most of those, and having incosistent and short immortal calls.

Warbands implementation by eps1lon

Quoted from: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1393694/page/4#p11537018

"
eps1lon wrote:
Followed this build in warbands for the challenges! Did multiple palace doms and going for Kaom and Daresso tomorrow (if somebody wants to trade Colloseum for Core im in!)

Thanks for sharing the build. Never thought about IC on CoC but its just so good now that 15s+ IC is gone.

Gear:
Spoiler

Tree:
Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYAAv4EBwj0DkgOXBGWFm8WvxcvGjgdFB2qJKomlScvKgstHy3SL286WELDRXxFfkZxTLNRdFVLVcZV1lnzXfJgQ2HiZOdmVGaeaGVqQ2r6axdtGW49b55wUnBWcLtw1XIPcql2rHcHfll_xoCkgwmD24cTidOMNo7pj0aQG5BVkc6SfZMnlG-VIJeXmG-aE5uhnKSfPqEvoqOmmayYrKq0DLQ4u-286r6AvorAVMHFwfPK089-0B_ZE9vU3CPfhOGI42rlGeXP6hjsGO_r893z6vcy99f46_rS-_X-SQ==?accountName=eps1lon&characterName=epsilonDestroyerOfSouls

Bandits:
Oak/Kraytin (juicy 8% IAS)/Oak

Full Character Setup under character name: epsilonDestroyerOfSouls.

Some notes about gear choices:
With +1 gem level we can use lvl 2 empower and lvl 20 purities to boost us to +5 max res from auras which enables us to skip one aura effectivness node.
You need 600+ mana to get 6 unreserved mana. The Aura Calculator from Mikelath says 550 or something so im going to ask him what went wrong.
Conquerors Efficiency is mandatory to run triple empowered purities (heralds are bad anyway nowadays).
We need at least another 4% reduced mana cost jewel and -8 mana cost elreon to get 6 mana cost on molten strike. With at least 2 Mana gain on Hit we get all our mana back with Multistrike. I havent tested 1 Mana gain on Hit and rely on the projectiles from Molten Strike but im pretty sure it wont be enough.

CoC Setup:
If theres no status ailment avoidance on the map use Flame Surge. It has way more Damage and 6% crit (AB/GC/FB have 5%). Glacial Cascade can shotgun but according to the Wiki not on close targets. I made a spreadsheet with pure single target setups. Maybe Markusz can shine some light on why he choose GC and AB.

AoE:
I dont see why. The more AoE the farther the projectiles from Molten Strike fly away and might miss the boss. The more AoE the less likely is GC to shotgun (according to Wiki/Reddit).

For the wicked:
Get Curse on Hit corruption on Maligaro's and Cursed Enemies have an additional 3-5% Chance to Receive a Critical Strike Corruption on Jewels for insane damage boost.

My answers:
AoE is picked up because if the boss moves a lot it is easier to hit them imo. It not only increases the projectile fly ditance but their AoE too. It subject to change, I'm not sure about which is better.

I don't see a Curse on hit corruption available on gloves, and the jewel corruption is "(3 - 5)% additional Chance to receive a Critical Strike", which applies to the player and not the monsters.

Pros:
- Can take out any boss
- No high budget item needed. Overall a medium budget build

Cons:
- not Hardcore viable
- requires high activity from player to survive
- can't run minmax, and bloodmagic map mods
- not meant for beginners

Feel free to ask any questions! Thanks for visiting!

More comments at: https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/3h1bj2/videocore_malachai_and_other_map_boss_fights_with/
IGN: Márkusz
My builds: thread/1600072
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
Last edited by Márkusz on Aug 27, 2015, 4:52:32 PM
Last bumped on Mar 21, 2017, 4:02:15 PM
How are you using Righteous Fire and not taking any damage? You don't have Zealot's Oath and your ES is regenerating so the only thing I can think of is that you actually get 100% fire resist and take no damage but that does not seem possible with your items...
"
Yossarian42 wrote:
How are you using Righteous Fire and not taking any damage? You don't have Zealot's Oath and your ES is regenerating so the only thing I can think of is that you actually get 100% fire resist and take no damage but that does not seem possible with your items...

It is actually 100% Fire resist. I have everything it takes to get 100%, Saffell's Frame (+5%), Purity of Fire (+6%), Barbarism Passive (+1%), Ruby Flask (+13% with Flask effect nodes)

The Saffell's is legacy, but the Purity of Fire is not at maximum effetiveness, because it is only at level 21, and with level23 it would add one additional max fire resist, so this same state is achieveable in temp leagues too.

IGN: Márkusz
My builds: thread/1600072
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
Thumbs up! really fun looking build! loving it!
brilliant

immortall call in your main coc setup, never would have thought of that
Last edited by shamo84 on Aug 14, 2015, 9:40:20 PM
Amazing build. Makes the char almost immortal but still does very high damage.
The POE community continues to amaze me with their wondrous builds, even after the numerous nerfs by GGG.
That IC with CoC is quite inspired!
This is interesting. I was sure that perma phys immunity was a thing of the past since 2.0, but I never throught about using immortal call in the coc link to have it permanently.
The reverse use of romira and vollis is also indeed brilliant, need a bit of tinking out of the box to come up with it.

At this point, having a lifepool lose its meaning. A CI version getting as much dps as possible from the tree, a bit of base ES and some increased ES with intelligence should easily have more than 1k ES without any effort.
With CI, chaos can be ignored, with surgeon, resists from the flask are not a problem (and a belt with flask duration/charge used will add some confort too), the only problem is between pack when you run out of endurances charges and immortal call is not up.
When you engage, do you always immediatly get your immortal call up? I guess that if you don't crit at the first shot it won't proc, so that's the main concern about safety. Playing with a wand would probably be safer too. A skeleton totem or manual enduring cry/immortal call may help in somes cases, but not all. To be safe, it would probably be better to get at least 3-4k ES (if it's only this much, it only need a very small investment), just to not be oneshot by the first white mob when you don't have your immortal call.

Obviously, everything above is only to make it viable for normal mapping =)
Last edited by Frolamiz on Aug 14, 2015, 10:32:49 PM
What a roflicious build. Just becomes plain immune to all damage, and wins by default. ROFL.

In before GGG smashes it with the nerf hammer.
This has been done before, basically as soon as Romira's and Voll's Devotion came out. It's nice to see it still working though, as it was way more OP back then.
Last edited by mimivirus on Aug 15, 2015, 12:01:18 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info