Scold's VMS by MatrixFactor [Alluring Atziri killed in Warbands]

Quick Description: Life/ES hybrid with Vaal Pact using Incinerate + Scold's Bridle Vaal Molten Shell. 9k EHP 200k DPS 5.5% leech, some block, 2 curse. Any map mods except no leech.

--------------

I've played and loved SRS since 1.1.5. Even though I could achieve sick peak DPS, I would always have to spend a ton of time casting spirits and waiting for them to attack before anything happened. Usually the wander or reaver in my party would kill everything before a single spirit did anything. In 1.2 I also played a fun crit lightning tendrils build that had good instant DPS but was very squishy. Therefore I wanted to try something that had high DPS without ramp up, but also wasn't super squishy.

The result is this Scold's setup. This setup is 70/30 on the tanky side of tanky/DPS. That's because I wanted to do high level maps and level past 94. This setup has 7.5k-10k EHP and 200k-250k VMS DPS, whereas others I tried had 4.2k HP and 700k VMS DPS. The problem with chasing DPS is that you become vulnerable to 1shots, so you can't really map into the mid-high 90s. That said, here's the build:
Defense/Offense

This is with Rathpith Globe + Consuming Dark.
Defense

Without Rumi

With Rumi

Offense

Without Atziri's Promise
Incinerate

VMS

With Atziri's Promise
Incinerate

VMS

Videos

Alluring Atziri full run.

Regular Atziri full run.

L77
Volcano. Double boss, +boss dmg/speed, +boss life/aoe.

L78
Crematorium. Double boss, +boss dmg/speed, +boss life/aoe.

L79
Shipyard -max, +lightning dmg.
Village Ruin boss. -max, +fire, noregen, beyond.
Village Ruin boss, double boss, blood magic, -max.

Passive Tree

Current L95 tree for maps.
Comments about the tree:
1. Crit is taken because it's super efficient and gives a nice DPS boost (60% more damage).
2. 90% Skill duration is helpful with VMS.
3. Life/ES with Ghost Reaver is the way to go for caster defenses these days.
4. Vaal Pact with 5.5% leech is really strong.
5. 65% chance to avoid stuns while casting + 50% chance to avoid stuns from energy shield means that we'll be attacking and leeching even against high damage mobs/bosses.
6. AoE nodes don't seem to do much for VMS, but I get as many as I can. Both the witch+scion ones.

Jewels are 3x Sacrifical Harvest, 1x Vaal Sentencing, and 1x rare with fire spell damage and cast speed.

Current L95 Passive Tree for uber Atziri
1. Focuses on boosting incinerate DPS over VMS DPS to help kill blue mobs, warbands, and atziri herself when we don't use VMS.
2. Sacrifices some EHP because having more EHP doesn't let us accomplish anything new.

Bandits are Oak/Alira/Kill (my current setup) or Kill/Alira/Kill (more DPS) or Kill/Alira/Alira (most DPS) or Oak/Alira/Alira.

Gear&Gems

Required item. I use discipline and anger. Grace can be used instead of anger. I also use enlighten to help with having a bigger mana pool, but it's not necessary.

The consuming dark is required. It converts 75% of our damage to chaos. Most of the time this is equivalent to having a 30%+ fire penetration gem for free. It also gives us 1.5% leech with Atziri flask compared to 0.3% if we didn't use it. I tested Rathpith globe, and I don't think it's worth it compared to a pure ES shield with spell damage. Also Rathpith are too expensive in Warbands.

A pure ES chest piece. I use incinerate in the armor. Spell echo lowers the amount of times VMS procs from 10x/sec to 8x/sec, but I find it's good to have a stronger incinerate for the cases where VMS isn't available.

These gloves provide a nice home for my VMS. Life leech is better than a DPS gem in my opinion, as it lets you do hard bosses more safely.
When soloing I use inc aoe instead of spell echo.

CWDT curses are very reliable with Scold's. I like enfeeble, but assn mark is also a decent option if you want to push your DPS. The problem with asn mark is that it's not great at generate power charges reliably, whereas enfeeble will always be doing its thing when you need it.

Chaos Res, Res, Strength, and Int. I use the Lazhwar because it's nice with a shield, and will be extra nice once I get a Rathpith to test with. A rare amy with crit multi, cast speed, and %ES is probably better if you're going to dual wield.
I'm currently using -8 elreon jewelry because I died to vaal temple trio because I went OOM. Hehe hopefully it won't happen again, -16 mana cost cut down Incinerate to 8 mana instead of 24. Now I can sustain it for 7 sec before needing to use a mana flask.

I sustain incinerate entirely off of that mana flask+warlord's mark. Saves us skill points and means we can ignore no regen/less regen. Also lets us use nice jewelry since we're not stuck having to look for -8 jewelry.

Alluring Atziri Kill

First of all, huge shoutout to Skyion and his Zippo build. I learned a ton about tactics and how to use incinerate for the Alluring Atziri fights. Definitely check out his videos for clean kills. I am basically adapting my build to use his tactics for Uber. So I would recommend really studying his build first if your goal is to do uber.

Full Run Video (Vaals, Trio, Blue mobs & Warbands deathless. 2 deaths due to sloppy mechanics at Atziri). Click on the annotations to skip around.

I make several changes to the gearing for killing uber.

For all fights I swap consuming dark to a fire spell dmg scepter:

The reason is that most mobs here have chaos resist and we have no way of penetrating that. Using this scepter we get more dmg by using Fire Pen. For regular mapping consuming dark is much better.

For incinerate I use Incin - Spell Echo - Fire Pen - Faster Casting - Faster Proj - Slower Proj.

I replace echo with added chaos for Vaals and Trio (or just take it out). This is to get 10 vms procs/sec rather than 8. I keep echo in for atziri since I use incinerate to kill her and the feed phase. Also I take out slower proj and put in culling strike for Vaals/Trio and take out Faster Proj and put in culling strike for Atziri.

For VMS I use VMS - Echo - Fire Pen - Conc Effect vs Vaals. VMS - Echo - Fire Pen - Life Leech for Trio. VMS - Echo - Inc Dura - Life leech for atziri. This is because Vaals are just easy if we kill them quick. Trio we need to sustain our ES pool by leeching. And for Atziri we don't need much DPS but leech and increased duration help significantly by allowing us to potentially do 2 clones phases on one VMS charge.

I use 3 Sacrifical Harvest jewels to charge my VMS (ideally I would have 5-6 VMS gems charged). And I swap them to 25% fire dmg gems before the boss fights.

For the boss fights I use RF with 100% fire res (just copying Skyion here). To get 100% I use ROTP (8%) + POF (4%) + Alchemist-Flasks (13%).
All my builds /view-thread/1430399

T14 'real' clearspeed challenge /1642265
Last edited by MatrixFactor on Aug 23, 2015, 11:46:07 AM
seems nice, gonna try some day, when whispering ice experiments will let me go.
hc viability score 1-10?
No rest for the wicked
"
mezmery wrote:
hc viability score 1-10?

7-8/10. Once you have VMS up you're almost immortal. Before you have it up, you're pretty mortal, though 4-5.5% leech incinerate with vaal pact is very strong.

I haven't RIP'd in 76-80 maps so far. Only died in a 81 Vaal Temple -max +fire to the bosses. :P

"
MatrixFactor wrote:
"
mezmery wrote:
hc viability score 1-10?

7-8/10. Once you have VMS up you're almost immortal. Before you have it up, you're pretty mortal, though 4-5.5% leech incinerate with vaal pact is very strong.

I haven't RIP'd in 76-80 maps so far. Only died in a 81 Vaal Temple -max +fire to the bosses. :P

nice.
pity that luxury lowlife shav build is unavailable, as you need too many uniq slots amd cant stack es
No rest for the wicked
"
mezmery wrote:
"
MatrixFactor wrote:
"
mezmery wrote:
hc viability score 1-10?

nice.
pity that luxury lowlife shav build is unavailable, as you need too many uniq slots amd cant stack es

Not sure what build you're talking about, but maybe you could use jewels.

Added video of -max +fire noregen Village Ruin boss kill.

Finally manged to kill uber relatively cleanly using Skyion's tactics. Added uber vid + discussion.

Nice Uber kill, totally rekted her.
[2.0] 5L Uber Viable Incinerate (1.4m Burst): The Zippo: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1211719
Congratulations, well done :). What level was your character when doing Uber?

I think I will try Uber with Skyion's build, even though I would have some nice items for a build like yours. Will have to see, first have to train a bit more on Normal Atziri. Also do not have the currency at the moment to buy the Uber set...
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
"
Char1983 wrote:
Congratulations, well done :). What level was your character when doing Uber?

I think I will try Uber with Skyion's build, even though I would have some nice items for a build like yours. Will have to see, first have to train a bit more on Normal Atziri. Also do not have the currency at the moment to buy the Uber set...

Hi. ^_^

I was 95 for uber. I think it's doable at lower levels, like 91, but I don't find getting 95 too hard so I just did that first.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info