I am lucky, therefore game is fine

"
RagnarokChu wrote:
Even D3 which (I really like by the way and play equal amounts to PoE, you should give it a try and I'll even add you and play with you and walk you through the game) completely addresses all of your points and problems you have with PoE. Just try it out I swear.

Agreed here, D3 is worth a try. It delivers a condensed and fun H&S looting experience with an imo very nice progression (difficulty setting + endless rifts), without the RNG timesinks that infest PoE and exist just to waste your time / force you into trade (eg: wasting 500 fus an not getting a 5L, being stuck in 72-74 maps for 100 hours, etc..)

The best way to play D3 is seasonal HC solo (as partying seems to be even more OP than it is in PoE). You push the char as fas as it will go, until you rip and reroll a new one.

Give it a try John. D3 is surprisingly refreshing after you are being frustrated and punished (keyword used a lot by GGG & community) for 100s of hours in PoE. Works like a soothing balm or good cop vs bad cop :)
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Last edited by morbo on Aug 31, 2015, 4:42:59 AM
"
Miská wrote:
I disagree, i think life is 1 big lottery. You could calculate everything in life to chance. I've met my wife by chance, do you know how much different my life would be if i wouldn't have met her.

I survived a housefire when i was 5years old. There was a quite a big chance there i would have never been able to discuss this with you right now ;)

That's nice and all, but if you wanted to bench press 300 lbs, or climb 5.14, or play the Moonlight Sonata on guitar, or complete a rubik's cube in 7 seconds blindfolded... your luck is unlikely to make a difference. Ever. Which I think you admit in your later point. Hence, life isn't 1 big lottery for things people consider worthwhile (even if you may not). You had some luck early on and now you're conflating that early luck with life. I don't blame you, but most people would disagree. I'm not rolling a d20 and hoping for 10 or less to live every year. I eat well and exercise.
Interesting thread, but since the map drop rate on 75+s has been increased I don't think there is any legit gripe about some players being more lucky than you any longer.

It used to be that if you were a solo player (and not taking advantage of free and/or cheap mapping parties) you would face a very discouraging system of lame map returns. Very rarely would I drop upgrade maps and overall I found that accumulating a decent map pool of 75+s was very costly and time consuming.

But now things have changed. Now it's easy to keep a decent map pool going without ever purchasing maps. As long as you are consistently rolling challenging maps (and remain capable of running them ofc) you are going to sustain your map pool.

Additionally, with the fluctuations in the economy (specifically in challenge leagues) reasonable high end gear has become very affordable. For example - those players complaining they can't afford a belly - buy a decent rare chest for a few chaos - buy a daresso's, do something other than complain about not being able to afford one of the most in demand body armors in the game.

If you are repeatedly dying and not able to progress - go back to the drawing board and come up with a tougher build. I know it's a hard pill to swallow but it's the truth. If you can't get by on decent rare gear (which is very affordable) a 6L shavs isn't going to change that. You don't need acuities, you don't need mirror worthy gear to get to level 100.

As I see it now (at 95 pushing to 100), there are really only three things that are essential to success:

1.) Knowledge of the game - If you don't watch streams for tips - if you don't research to find the answers to questions you have - if you don't know what you are likely to encounter in a map or have a taste for the rich variety of map mods that appear and understand how they interact together as well as how they will effect native monsters or specific map bosses - if you don't understand mechanics like corrupting blood, reflect, other forms of damage over time, freeze, etc. and have plans to handle each among flasks or within character gear or spec - any of these related deaths (every single death on poe that wasn't cutthroat, pvp, or due to technical difficulties) is due to player ignorance or poor judgement.

2. A Viable Build - Whether it is your own spontaneous character development or if you mirror's a pro's posted build - no matter the source, a build should be an efficient balance between damage output and survivability. Be flexible - shift dps down and life up if you need to or vice versa. Play test everything for yourself and find out what YOU like best. Then tune it to handle every danger, and if there are certain dangers it cannot handle, know what they are and avoid them.

3.) Patience - The leveling process gets slow - stop counting every shred of xp and go back to enjoying the game. The less attention you pay to the experience bar the more it will have moved when you look at it again :D. Don't rush through maps and then complain about drops when you leave crates behind. A drop is a drop is a drop. A wooden barrel can drop a mirror. You wouldn't leave one last unique enemy standing in the map would you?

The bottom line is luck is a lot less of a factor in this game than a lot of players want to admit. Sure there are tons of gambles along the way, but you don't need luck to develop an understanding of the game, create a viable build, or keep yourself from rage quitting when you die 1% from level.

Futhermore, when you attribute success in this game to luck you are insulting and undermining the efforts and accomplishments of all the veteran players out there that have earned their experience and wealth - more often from dedicated grinding, shrewd trading tactics, and intelligent risk management than from freak luck I assure you.

"
morbo wrote:
"
RagnarokChu wrote:
Even D3 which (I really like by the way and play equal amounts to PoE, you should give it a try and I'll even add you and play with you and walk you through the game) completely addresses all of your points and problems you have with PoE. Just try it out I swear.

Agreed here, D3 is worth a try. It delivers a condensed and fun H&S looting experience with an imo very nice progression (difficulty setting + endless rifts), without the RNG timesinks that infest PoE and exist just to waste your time / force you into trade (eg: wasting 500 fus an not getting a 5L, being stuck in 72-74 maps for 100 hours, etc..)

The best way to play D3 is seasonal HC solo (as partying seems to be even more OP than it is in PoE). You push the char as fas as it will go, until you rip and reroll a new one.

Give it a try John. D3 is surprisingly refreshing after you are being frustrated and punished (keyword used a lot by GGG & community) for 100s of hours in PoE. Works like a soothing balm or good cop vs bad cop :)

made a promise to myself, I'll never try D3 again.
it's just a psychological thing I suppose. trauma, over buying it when it initially came out.
expectation as a Diablo series fan since the first game, vs. the result.
I know... it's not the same game today.
it probably did get exponentially better. Activision probably did learn from their mistakes, recruit some actual Blizzard North guys to fix their mess, and whatnot.
but I just can't.

that's why I usually retreat to Torchlight 2, Titan Quest: Immortal Throne, and even good old D2 (with/without Median XL Mod) - whenever I need a good doze of pure, unfiltered fun.

but the thing is, I just keep coming back to Path Of Exile eventually.
in part because of the unprecedented character building and customization options.
think of it: about 3000 hours by now since Open Beta, and I haven't even tried half the builds I know of. and builds I don't know? dozens of those probably.

it's so great, and so terrible at the same time.
I'm going crazy guys. I love the game for so many reasons, yet hate it for all the motherfkn RNG torture and trade-above-all design... hard to explain.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
The way i see it, if communication doesnt involve the following factors you have no basis for any reprisal or hate:

1) Lies
2) Derogatory Remarks- to be more clear, stating that there is something wrong with an individual rather than a specific action they have performed. The key here is attacks at an individual rather than targeted at some undesired or malicious action.
3) Spam
4) Bias/non-disclosure of the truth- leaving out relevant details which are essential to fully understanding the subject.
5) (to a much less degree) Inane Nonsense- That which does not; request information/ provide any information/ or contribute towards a greater understanding of the subject
6) Promoting a Harmful Action

On a more abstract level, persistent association and innuendo can be very irritating. If used to antagonize another, it may qualify.

For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
"
SkyCore wrote:
The way i see it, if communication doesnt involve the following factors you have no basis for any reprisal or hate:

1) Lies
2) Derogatory Remarks- to be more clear, stating that there is something wrong with an individual rather than a specific action they have performed. The key here is attacks at an individual rather than targeted at some undesired or malicious action.
3) Spam
4) Bias/non-disclosure of the truth- leaving out relevant details which are essential to fully understanding the subject.
5) (to a much less degree) Inane Nonsense- That which does not; request information/ provide any information/ or contribute towards a greater understanding of the subject
6) Promoting a Harmful Action

On a more abstract level, persistent association and innuendo can be very irritating. If used to antagonize another, it may qualify.

thanks for your comment.

(4) seems a bit harsh though. we are all biased to some extent. unless you mean deliberately leaving out relevant details for the purpose of annoying someone, where I agree.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Aug 31, 2015, 3:49:32 PM
"
johnKeys wrote:
"
"
Vaux wrote:

Eh, my attitude here is the same as if I drove by a homeless man with a sign that read "I grew up in a wealthy family. I had every opportunity to succeed, but I just love to drink beer and sleep all day so I threw all of my potential success away. I'm sick and tired of all of these people saying 'I worked hard for my success, therefore life is fine.' " and I didn't give him any money or sympathy.

I'm not a bad person at all, I just volunteered with my fiance at a shelter for victims of human trafficking last week and it was amazing. I simply cannot stand the attitude of this 'new wave' of gamers that want everything handed to them on a silver platter, and if a game doesn't perfectly fit their mold of what they envisioned when they started playing it, they race to the forums to bitch and moan. The only sentiment I have for these people is GTFO - nobody cares.

Ok, that's a much better analogy, I no longer think you might be a horrible human being.

Not that my opinion matters either way, obv.

I suggest you both read my reply to RagnarokChu.
it's all about the "new wave of gamers" and silver platters.

and Vaux's post only proves the fact, you can be a great guy in real life - but still act like a complete fkn dick in Forums.

Oh boy. Please refer back to my original post in this thread where I point out that this generation of gamers (whether you fall into 'this' generation by age or not) is incredibly entitled and doesn't like to work for success in video games (and is 100% true), and you promptly replied - berating me out of some misguided notion that you deserve my respect in a complaint post on the forums.

Spare me your high and mighty bullshit about how this thread isn't a passive aggressive way for you to bitch and moan about RNG and how life isn't fair and how everyone that disagrees with you is a villain.
IGN Nellz
would also like to point out that there is a suggestions section here in the forums if you actually have something you would like to suggest that could make the game better in your opinion. I also think it will be:

a. probably more likely to gain the attention of ggg
b. less likely to attract trolls to your posts
Ign: LavaMosse
TimeZone: GMT+2
So john, is 75 days too long for you to get your guaranteed 6L?
Its not about luck imo. It should be: I'm good at trading therefore the game is fine.
"Get rich or die grinding"

Lvl 100 Ascendant - RadioactiveSago: HIGHEST KB tooltiplordz in all of PoE (view-thread/1636451)
Lvl 100 Assassin - Chonkeyy: Omnislasher 2 mil DPS Flicker Build (view-thread/1571744)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info