I am lucky, therefore game is fine

But Trade!!!!!!

You can buy a Porsche by collecting pop bottles if you collect enough.....

The problem with games with later upon layer of RNG is that the only way to beat the system is to play an incredible number of hours to try to force a drop.

The problem with this game is that GGG is developing the game they want to play ( which is their right as its their company ) but they are so Uber and Hardcore that perhaps 1% of the player base can thrive at that difficulty and the other 99% suffer for it.

In three years of playing, and playing a fair amount ,I never had a Tier 1 drop. The closest I ever came, and maybe it actually qualifies as a Tier 1 was a Godess Scorned, but, apologies to Charan, it shouldn't be a Tier 1 if it is. In a similar amount of time playing D2 I found about 6 high end drops.

I play these types of games to build a strong character that wrecks stuff and I ended up feeling like a Hobo collecting pop bottles.

Kudos to those who managed to get their lucky lotto ticket drop or those who got rich screwing people over by trading, congratulations.

But for me, once I realized I was never going to get a drop, the fun just dried up.
The way I view it: If you're lucky in one regard don't comment on it.
For example I found 3 T1 uniques (one was goldrim tho) and as such I'm not gonna talk about drop rates on items.
"
RockGod wrote:
But Trade!!!!!!

You can buy a Porsche by collecting pop bottles if you collect enough.....

The problem with games with later upon layer of RNG is that the only way to beat the system is to play an incredible number of hours to try to force a drop.

The problem with this game is that GGG is developing the game they want to play ( which is their right as its their company ) but they are so Uber and Hardcore that perhaps 1% of the player base can thrive at that difficulty and the other 99% suffer for it.

In three years of playing, and playing a fair amount ,I never had a Tier 1 drop. The closest I ever came, and maybe it actually qualifies as a Tier 1 was a Godess Scorned, but, apologies to Charan, it shouldn't be a Tier 1 if it is. In a similar amount of time playing D2 I found about 6 high end drops.

I play these types of games to build a strong character that wrecks stuff and I ended up feeling like a Hobo collecting pop bottles.

Kudos to those who managed to get their lucky lotto ticket drop or those who got rich screwing people over by trading, congratulations.

But for me, once I realized I was never going to get a drop, the fun just dried up.

It was the opposite experience for me in D2. Never dropped an SOJ, never had the opportunity to fight Uber, never found a highend runeword and could only ever farm the Countess(!) relatively safely.

Without playing the ladder and having access to multiplayer, the highend content of D2, for me, was gated behind RNG.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I'm not particularly concerned about a 0.02% chance of somehow being wrong.

you should.
enough to not use the "there are no players..." BS argument.
you can freely use the "extremely improbable" one, but not the stronger (and false) form.
I usually don't care about phrasing, but when the guy based most of his argument on it - it just stuck out like a sore thumb.

---------------------------------------------

@Chunda, read the Opening Post rather than just its title.
you're doing well.
does it mean the game is perfect?
does it give you any right to put down people who aren't doing well?
that, in a nutshell, is what this thread is about.

----------------------------------------------

@RagnarokChu, looks like you're the only one who actually bothered reading.
(Scrotie: see what I did?)

earning with the 1.5k Fuses recipe? yes - but under a condition: where and how do you get these?

RockGod has this great phrase in his post:
"
RockGod wrote:

what is wrong about my wish, to not get complete vendor trash when I kill the game's final boss for the first time? I wasn't farming him. I wasn't face-rolling him with a char that can face-tank his map version. it was a long, tough fight and I died many times until he finally went down.
theoretically, it doesn't take a complicated algorithm to measure all of the above, and create some minor RNG bias.

and I don't expect him to rain Kaoms and Shavs all over the place when I do. that's something you people just can't get into that thick skull of yours.
I want risk/reward with RNG. and yes you can quote me on that.
RNG is what makes it fun.
too much RNG in too many places, is what makes it suck with very occasional "oh I just won the lottery" moments, instead of "earned it" ones.

you're talking about Torchlight and Borderlands? no "sword of game winning +3" there, so you will farm the final boss again. but no BS yellow trash even my leveling char can't use, either. plus a ton of blue low-base, one-socket ones the loot filter just hides.

one example. I can come up with a thousand more for every single part of the game.

and again, I like the game. heck I'm addicted to it.
it's that good. one of the best.
but the completely unprecedented amount and dependency on RNG, and the gigantic role the economy - just one feature, mind you - plays... make me rage.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Aug 30, 2015, 2:42:23 AM
What exactly don't you understand about something being mathematically nigh-impossible? Much less on a scale that there is such a player base to represent such an improbability?

That "most brilliant troll in history" theory is getting more and more likely with every post.

IGN: Smegmazoid
Long live the new Flesh
"
Vaux wrote:

Eh, my attitude here is the same as if I drove by a homeless man with a sign that read "I grew up in a wealthy family. I had every opportunity to succeed, but I just love to drink beer and sleep all day so I threw all of my potential success away. I'm sick and tired of all of these people saying 'I worked hard for my success, therefore life is fine.' " and I didn't give him any money or sympathy.

I'm not a bad person at all, I just volunteered with my fiance at a shelter for victims of human trafficking last week and it was amazing. I simply cannot stand the attitude of this 'new wave' of gamers that want everything handed to them on a silver platter, and if a game doesn't perfectly fit their mold of what they envisioned when they started playing it, they race to the forums to bitch and moan. The only sentiment I have for these people is GTFO - nobody cares.

Ok, that's a much better analogy, I no longer think you might be a horrible human being.

Not that my opinion matters either way, obv.
"Dude he fucking said hotdog racist.

Like I can't even make this shit up." - gj

1.0.0 Forum Posters now have 50% less Critical Thinking skill per Patch
"
"
Vaux wrote:

Eh, my attitude here is the same as if I drove by a homeless man with a sign that read "I grew up in a wealthy family. I had every opportunity to succeed, but I just love to drink beer and sleep all day so I threw all of my potential success away. I'm sick and tired of all of these people saying 'I worked hard for my success, therefore life is fine.' " and I didn't give him any money or sympathy.

I'm not a bad person at all, I just volunteered with my fiance at a shelter for victims of human trafficking last week and it was amazing. I simply cannot stand the attitude of this 'new wave' of gamers that want everything handed to them on a silver platter, and if a game doesn't perfectly fit their mold of what they envisioned when they started playing it, they race to the forums to bitch and moan. The only sentiment I have for these people is GTFO - nobody cares.

Ok, that's a much better analogy, I no longer think you might be a horrible human being.

Not that my opinion matters either way, obv.

I suggest you both read my reply to RagnarokChu.
it's all about the "new wave of gamers" and silver platters.

and Vaux's post only proves the fact, you can be a great guy in real life - but still act like a complete fkn dick in Forums.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
"
JahIthBer89 wrote:
What exactly don't you understand about something being mathematically nigh-impossible? Much less on a scale that there is such a player base to represent such an improbability?

That "most brilliant troll in history" theory is getting more and more likely with every post.

If something is possible ... it can happen,regardless of probability.

Which is how insurance works,the probability of something bad happening is moot,the possibility however remains the drive to be prepared with insurance. EX: I could drive my car through my living room,it's highly improbable,but is possible.

Possibility needs to be removed completely and by doing that we remove probability as well.Something being possible means it can and will happen .... eventually,maybe not in our lifetime,but it will happen.

Last edited by Temper on Aug 30, 2015, 3:29:03 AM
"
johnKeys wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
I'm not particularly concerned about a 0.02% chance of somehow being wrong.
you should.
enough to not use the "there are no players..." BS argument.
you can freely use the "extremely improbable" one, but not the stronger (and false) form.
If there is a 99.98% chance it is true, labeling it false due to 0.02% doubt is beyond self-defeating.

What people forget is that knowledge is not some end-in-itself, but a guide to action. There is no immediate utility in something held off to collect more data. In some cases, when the evidence seems divided, holding off is the prudent thing, but decisions to act are binary, zeroes and ones, and to act a determination must eventually be made, either explicitly or implicitly. Agnosticism is an indulgence for the passive.

As such, I have no problem going with a good bet, and sticking to it.

That said, with all due respect, I do not believe a great deal of what you say. Which means I believe you fabricate information. This is not a personal determination, but a reasoned one based on your stories conflicting with my evidence.
Spoiler
Similarly, there is no God. Period, end of story, no qualifiers required.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Aug 30, 2015, 4:20:13 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Similarly, there is no God. Period, end of story, no qualifiers required.

omg!1 rngesus will punish you for this blasphemous comment!

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on Aug 30, 2015, 4:26:12 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info