I am lucky, therefore game is fine

"
johnKeys wrote:
"
grepman wrote:

needless to say, it didnt go too well once I attempted calculations with big numbers. I couldve used an ALU with shifters, muxes and control units along with memory blocks to execute instructions effortlessly with a piece of software, aka calculator. but I didnt. because I wanted to have fun. abacus are fun, turing machines are not.

I then went to forums of people who make computer software and I tore them a new one. I just wanted to have fun calculating things I said, and you ruined it. RUINED it. I have the right to complain too.

that's a dumb analogy.

CS is based on Turing Machines.
now tell me, where does it say the game is based on trade?
trade is an option of something you can do in PoE. the most "important" one to GGG apparently, but still an option.
killing monsters, doing quests, and building characters - on the other hand - defines the genre which this game is supposed to be part of.
so as long as I do that, I am indeed playing "as intended", and I do indeed have the "right" to complain.

and did you just seriously call every ARPG before PoE, an abacus?
John, I simply shared my humble experience of not using the tools available to me, handicapping myself in the process.

No one told me to use an abacus, no sir. I WANTED TO. That was all fine and dandy but the forum mods on that board banned me for a stupid good reason- they said if I calculated the way I wanted ignoring tools at my disposal, then what was I complaining about ? I'm entitled to calculate the way I want until I started to make irrational accusations, they said.

They asked me if I tried used a calculator, and I indignantly said Im way better than that, even though it's the most efficient way. Then they shrugged and asked what I was complaining about. I said I wasn't having enough fun using a calculator. Then I got banned.

Funny people, I tell ya. Thank god mods on here don't do that.
thankfully, I'm not "better than using a calculator".
not anymore. frustration proved too much.
but I still hate GGG's "calculator" with a passion. I really do.
hate every second of being forced to use it.

because they created an absolutely wonderful machine, then shoved in one faulty control unit to rule it all.
one that's designed to mess with your sanity. frustrate you to no end.
unless you give in, and input the exact numbers it is expecting.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by toto087 on Aug 28, 2015, 4:57:56 AM
I have to admit i haven't read all posts but i will post my view on the matter.

First of all the economy is generated, used and manipulated from all of us. So many of the problems we face when trying to get best kit possible are caused by us. Also we struggle to sell/buy items (which is irrelevant to how lucky we are on drops) because of how badly the trade chats are were everyone is trying to trick the rest (how many times have you seen "WTS exalt 85 chaos" and "WTB exalt 50 chaos" trying to trick noobs?).

Now personnally i haven't had any amazing drops like ever, i never tried to buy low-sell high and yet right now im confortable sitting on 12exalts + the value of my kit and i consider myself an average player playing 2-4hrs max per day. Also usually i buy the items i want even a bit overpriced and im selling my own items at 60-70% of the value for quick sales.

How i did that?
1) Use poe.trade to sell items. Its the only way to generate currency other than chaos/regals recipies. I was amazed how much currency i made from items i considered mediocre and how fast they sold. Seems like that ppl are looking for all sort of items. Just list em cheap. Its better to get even half the item value compared to it sitting in your stash.
2) Obviously use the chaos/regal recipe. Along with the rest vendor sales you should make 0,5-1ex per day solo. Aint that hard to make 20chaos and 40 fus in a day solo.
3) Play the right build. I tried many builds which unfortunately are plain bad. Nothing i tried comes close to map clearing to my mom/eb/block incinerate and as i result i am able to turn it into MF char which really makes a difference.

All these sound very basic but thats all there is to it. Pick a build that can perform nicely with a low investment (up to 3ex is very achievable) with as little item requirements as possible, preferably a ranged char and then just play the game and use poe.trade. Thats all.
"
johnKeys wrote:
"
grepman wrote:

needless to say, it didnt go too well once I attempted calculations with big numbers. I couldve used an ALU with shifters, muxes and control units along with memory blocks to execute instructions effortlessly with a piece of software, aka calculator. but I didnt. because I wanted to have fun. abacus are fun, turing machines are not.

I then went to forums of people who make computer software and I tore them a new one. I just wanted to have fun calculating things I said, and you ruined it. RUINED it. I have the right to complain too.

that's a dumb analogy.

CS is based on Turing Machines.
now tell me, where does it say the game is based on trade?
trade is an option of something you can do in PoE. the most "important" one to GGG apparently, but still an option.
killing monsters, doing quests, and building characters - on the other hand - defines the genre which this game is supposed to be part of.
so as long as I do that, I am indeed playing "as intended", and I do indeed have the "right" to complain.

and did you just seriously call every ARPG before PoE, an abacus?

No, you are not playing it as intended. Trade is crucial part of PoE experience. It is not an option, that you are trying to convince us, it is. Sure, you can play without it, but you can just as well "ride" your bike without pedals, simply by pushing yourself forward with your legs. Will you ride? Sure. Will you enjoy it? Unlikely.
If you really hate it that much, I say you'd be better of with other games. And that is all! Nobody wants you to suffer, nobody claims that PoE's system is the only and perfect one. But it is what it is, and we like it, and you don't.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
It does say on the tin that "It is designed around a strong online item economy". Trade is pretty much a core design of the POE experience.
I don't trade. Never will. It's not a required portion of the game.

It is well over 1000x faster... which is why people who trade feel it's required. They set goals based on trading and then claim that it's the game that requires trading rather than their goals within the game. They don't realize that other people can play the game with different goals than they do.

Saying "The game is fine" is a loaded statement because we are all playing different games within the setting of PoE. That's right... my game is entirely different than yours. That's because I have different ideas as to what playing the game means and what the goals are within the game. That's why threads like these get so heated. People are actually talking about different things when they say "the game is fine" or "the game is broken".
I don't have anything against trading, but I haven't really gotten around to it in Warbands. Still haven't set up my shop, I bought an 18c bow and some caster daggers totalling 6c, but that's it.

Still don't think the game is broken.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
See... there you go with that "the game" again. "My game" would be better. Some people have silly goals that they could never reach. "Their game" is broken. They want to maintain level 82 maps and clear them with 0% chance of death and yet somehow feel challenged by doing so. Maybe. Others would consider their game broken if the first people were able to accomplish theirs! So it's inevitable that someone will be here complaining that "the game" is broken.

PoE from a design standpoint is a setting. The players make it a game.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
See... there you go with that "the game" again. "My game" would be better. Some people have silly goals that they could never reach. "Their game" is broken. They want to maintain level 82 maps and clear them with 0% chance of death and yet somehow feel challenged by doing so. Maybe. Others would consider their game broken if the first people were able to accomplish theirs! So it's inevitable that someone will be here complaining that "the game" is broken.

PoE from a design standpoint is a setting. The players make it a game.

Then again, i go play tetris and ignore squares because i don't like them (for god knows what reason) does that give me the right to complain the game is not alright anymore. I think PoE is fine, yes we could get some less RNG in some spaces, but i feel like without the million carrots we would play this game much less. And the thing i love about PoE the most, is the fact you can actually get lucky anywhere at anytime. The restrictions are very limited.

You just expect to much, go play without expecting anything and you can't get dissapointed.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info