I am lucky, therefore game is fine

I played Diablo and Titan Quest back in the day and see no difference RNG wise with Path. Only difference is I've access to trade here (didn't play online or ladder on those two) and make use of as and when to get past what RNG couldn't provide.
"
Quixote77 wrote:
I played Diablo and Titan Quest back in the day and see no difference RNG wise with Path.

TQ had major differences.

1. It was offline.
Direct result: a ton of cheat tools to get everybody the best items ever ang highest levels for free.

2. It was RNG, but not this RNG.
It was like this:
White Club -> 150 DpS
Easy obtainable: Veteran's Club -> 200DpS (Veterans = best prefix)
Grindy, but you can get it: Veteran's Folg -> 220DpS (Folg = "1 in 250" rare only used by some monsters, BiS base item)
Impossible to get: Veteran's Folg of relentless power -> 250 DpS (BiS)
(numbers are pulled out of my ass, just to put in relation)

In PoE, it's more like this:
White sword 100DpS
Vendor recipe sword 200DpS
Vendor recipe sword +mastercraft 250DpS
Sexy rare + mastercraft 300 DpS
Really sexy rare 400
Supersexy rare 500
Mirror tier 550

The damage jumps between 100 and 550, and progression for the average player stops at around 300 (which is half the way). He'll always see people doing double DpS than him, just because their sword does double DpS.
In TQ, it didn't really matter. Sure, you got some extra damage with a (duped, cheated) BiS weapon, but the benefit of the jump from "farmable" to "1 in 250 billion" wasn't that high.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Last edited by Peterlerock on Aug 21, 2015, 2:53:06 AM
"
khemintiri wrote:

thats a lot of wordspewing to get out 1 point , only thing i do in this game is kill shit fast and put up stuff via aquisition , works fine for me , but i guess i have just been lucky for 3 years now . I have had one mfchar for a one week race and my legacy Rfchar in hc have as much mf as possible aswell as i like to collect uniques from old sctemp leagues.

Otherwise i just kill shit in every league , i don't die to silly one shot mechanics , i dont die to lagspikes and i make enough currency to gear out my chars with what i want, once again John (as i have repeated for so many years now) you just troll these forums with your superbiased opinions cause you are just really bad at the game.

When I read comments like this by a number of posters on this forum I imagine a morbidly obese billionaire talking down to a starving Rwandan telling them the world is fine, they should stop asking for help/food and that they are just really bad at life.
Ascension tied to Lab is the worst thing GGG has done...apart from GGG's philosophy on Trading. Oh and Gambling Loot boxes. And selling out to tencent.

I used to love GGG. I supported to ensure GGG remained independent, now I just wish I could get my money back. -_-
"
Chameleon wrote:
"
khemintiri wrote:

thats a lot of wordspewing to get out 1 point , only thing i do in this game is kill shit fast and put up stuff via aquisition , works fine for me , but i guess i have just been lucky for 3 years now . I have had one mfchar for a one week race and my legacy Rfchar in hc have as much mf as possible aswell as i like to collect uniques from old sctemp leagues.

Otherwise i just kill shit in every league , i don't die to silly one shot mechanics , i dont die to lagspikes and i make enough currency to gear out my chars with what i want, once again John (as i have repeated for so many years now) you just troll these forums with your superbiased opinions cause you are just really bad at the game.

When I read comments like this by a number of posters on this forum I imagine a morbidly obese billionaire talking down to a starving Rwandan telling them the world is fine, they should stop asking for help/food and that they are just really bad at life.

That's a funny contrast considering in reality you have advantages like birthright, what country your born in, opportunities, ect.

While in this game everyone starts from 0, plays the game theoretically in the exact same way with the exact same opportunities as everyone else.

I don't know why less progressed players feel as though players who progressed more are somehow a different group of people magically. They got slightly more lucky or played a more/efficiently.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Aug 21, 2015, 4:03:58 AM
"
RagnarokChu wrote:
"
Chameleon wrote:
"
khemintiri wrote:

That's a funny contrast considering in reality you have advantages like birthright, what country your born in, opportunities, ect.

While in this game everyone starts from 0, plays the game theoretically in the exact same way with the exact same opportunities as everyone else.

I don't know why less progressed players feel as though players who progressed more are somehow a different group of people magically. They got slightly more lucky or played a more/efficiently.

That's not entirely true. There are streamers getting beneficial treatments from their fanbase, and there are RMT'ers, and their friends and guildies who profit from the RMT'ers. All of them combined create an elite of sorts with which the rest of the playerbase generally cannot compete.
Last edited by Jojas on Aug 21, 2015, 4:19:54 AM
"
johnKeys wrote:

I respect you disagreeing, and you put some valid points - but I think your reasons and explanations to some of those points, aren't valid at all.

is losing always your fault? always due to making a mistake?
does being unlucky/screwed never imply something is wrong about some aspect of the game?
of course not. don't be ridiculous.
your post is more bragging about how good you are, than a realistic view.

It was certainly not meant as bragging. I make mistakes all the time. For instance I rarely die in high level maps, but it happens in lower level maps due to overconfidence on my part. I do stupid shit. For instance I died at lvl 96,95 in a lvl 75 map due to corpse explosion in a strongbox >.< But hey, that's my own fault for being a scrub.

If you are referring to this quote:
"
Frankenberry wrote:

2) I am poor - therefore I am unlucky. Nope. You just don't know how to rig the system in your favor (and I am not talking about flipping).

All I can say is this.
You do not have to do a lot of trading to become wealthy. You don't have to flip items. Ask yourself: How expensive is my build? What are my goals? How do I wish to achieve those goals?
And finally a goal one should always ask himself before doing crafting / yolo exalting etc.: Can I afford this investment if I don't get the result I want? (Referring to those "I spend 2k fusings trying to make a 6L and now I am broke. #uninstall" threads)

For instance a lot of people don't even try to get a lvl 4 enlighten / empower even though they can easily become a great source of income. Buy 6 empower / enlighten gems. Use gcp's / buy gcp's and make the q20. Lvl up and corrupt them. Its not an insane amount of wealth, but it is pretty good.

Which spell gems are popular this league? 21/20 poison arrow is worth quite a lot. Same with Summon Raging Spirit. Try to get those and sell them.

Do I wish to craft with my alterations or sell them? How should I use my chaos orbs? Is my build clear cut or should I save some regrets? Chance orbs - trying to get lucky or get a few exalts throughout the league by bulk sales?

I will never become a so called top1% of the wealthiest people in a league. Never had a mirror. And tbh I don't care. I can afford almost any build out there, by just having a bit of patience. And it works for me every single league. Even in 1 month leagues.
"
johnKeys wrote:

and comments like yours make me sick.
I bet I was playing a decade before you were conceived, and I'm far from being the oldest Path Of Exile player. so show some damn respect before spewing out "entitled generation" bullshit.
"kid".

I made this thread about how much "I'm lucky, game is fine, git gud" posts make me rage, and here you are with something even more fkn disgusting.
I'm sure you're fkn proud of yourself.

In my opinion there is a problem with gamers in general being entitled to the feeling of success. Not just in PoE.

For instance in a Call of Duty patch the developers nerfed the most popular weapon - the sniper rifle. The outcry was so load it spread beyond the CoD community and some developers even -recieved death threads.

The developer behind the Dark Souls series said in an interview, that he had a hard time convincing the company to back up his ideas. The game was to challenging and they felt the consumers would have a bad expirience.

Or look at the "farmville"-type of "games" (if you can even call it that). Its one big pile of dopamine shots being injected into your system. Nothing can go wrong. Just pick up coins and feel good about yourself.

And these tendencies of entitlement has in my opinion spread to the PoE community. The amount of moaning and complaining about the game since patch 2.0 is beyond anything I have seen on PoE forums before. Or maybe I just don't remember the past to well. It seems to - now I am repeating myself - that a big part of the community simply flat out refuse to acknowledge their own flaws and blame everything on game design.

For instance I had a long discussion with a player with a lvl 95 melee duelist. In his mind the game was nearly impossible. Evasion was shit and patch 2.0 had ruined the game. He had 0 endurance charges, low armor, low evasion, no lightning coil / taste of hate. He had 6,7k hp as defense - that was it. And he simply wouldn't adapt. I think he ended up leaving the game (or at least he said that, but we both now he came back ;) ). And this is not just a one in a million example to illustrate my point. There is a lot of posts on these forums with players who simply refuse to adapt.

Edit:
I forget this. You are right about (at least) one thing. We should not ignore, be jerks or similar on players who point out flaws in the game. Of course not. But in my opinion this community should to a higher degree rally up and tell the moaners and whiners that they are flat out wrong. Instead what we see today is a bandwagon of fellow moaners and whiners who rally to their cause. Since patch 2.0 I really feel for GGG. They have received so much undeserved criticism (and some deserved - but mostly undeserved) since patch 2.0 and so little gratitude for an awesome and free expansion.
Last edited by Frankenberry on Aug 21, 2015, 4:46:50 AM
"
Frankenberry wrote:

For instance I had a long discussion with a player with a lvl 95 melee duelist. In his mind the game was nearly impossible. Evasion was shit and patch 2.0 had ruined the game. He had 0 endurance charges, low armor, low evasion, no lightning coil / taste of hate. He had 6,7k hp as defense - that was it.

6.7k HP alone should be enough. The game shouldn't require one to have 5+ more layers of mitigation on at the same time just to survive...
Ascension tied to Lab is the worst thing GGG has done...apart from GGG's philosophy on Trading. Oh and Gambling Loot boxes. And selling out to tencent.

I used to love GGG. I supported to ensure GGG remained independent, now I just wish I could get my money back. -_-
"
Chameleon wrote:
"
Frankenberry wrote:

For instance I had a long discussion with a player with a lvl 95 melee duelist. In his mind the game was nearly impossible. Evasion was shit and patch 2.0 had ruined the game. He had 0 endurance charges, low armor, low evasion, no lightning coil / taste of hate. He had 6,7k hp as defense - that was it.

6.7k HP alone should be enough. The game shouldn't require one to have 5+ more layers of mitigation on at the same time just to survive...

Why not? I am not saying he should have every layer. I am saying he should have at least 1 layer. He is a what in you in world of warcraft called a 'flesh tank' (dodge / armor / block / mitigation > flat hp). The game would be way to easy if you could just facetank your way through it if you reached 6,7k hp. It would not even be funny.
Oh ok, I thought we were talking about real-time gameplay scenarios of restriction and not lag/extenuating circumstances. Of course lag, glitches and crashes are going to be the root cause for some failures - that holds true with ANY game in ANY genre. Stooping to that as your defense however, does not give your argument much merit. You know there are cheap, easy gem setups that prevent 1 shots right? Again, just a prime example of Frankenberry's 'unwillingness to adapt' concept.

You claim it is foolish to say the game is fine and that all or most situations can be looked back upon with the mindset of 'What could I have done better to force a different outcome?'

You sound like the biggest fool in the world to me - you are implying the opposite, that all or most situations are beyond my control and I am a victim of a rigged system that cannot be beat without certain unobtainable wealth. But yeah sure, the first mindset is the foolish one.

So you're just here to mindlessly kill things, got it. That's what a lot of the game is about, and you can get pretty far playing like that, but complaining about not being able to compete at the highest level because you refuse to play the game in it's entirety is an absolute joke.

It would be like me saying, 'Hey it's not fair I don't have the same opportunities as Mr. Neurosurgeon. I'm not here to go to school, study and improve myself, I'm really just here to fkn make hamburgers because that's what I love to do!'

And no, I will absolutely, positively NOT show any respect or goddamned sympathy (LOL?) for a player, regardless of age, that refuses to play the game IN IT'S ENTIRETY AS IT WAS MADE TO FKN BE PLAYED, because they're simply here to mindlessly fkn kill shit and not put any real effort or thought into a game they spend thousands of hours on.

"
Chameleon wrote:
"
Frankenberry wrote:

What a PRIME example of people that complain about this game. Are you KIDDING ME? Newsflash: HEALTH IS NOT MITIGATION. AND YES, YOU SHOULD ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HAVE MULTIPLE LAYERS OF MITIGATION TO CLEAR THE HARDEST CONTENT IN THE GAME (NOW I'M TALKING IN CAPS BECAUSE MY MIND IS FKN BLOWN AT THIS POINT).

I mean holy shit. I got a lotta health bruh, that should be fine! I just want to run around and kill shit! Go play Diablo 3 for God's sake, there's no room for stupidity of this level in this game. In this world, hell.
IGN Nellz

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info