Trendspotting: POE Playerbase almost halved on Steam alone since the release of Awakening

"
Boem wrote:
Thoughts ?

Less server load for ME!

Fuck yeah.

Peace,

-Boem-

You don't see the whole picture. When there are less people playing there are less people paying. Means ggg will not be able to run as many servers as today. Plus they wont be able to have that many coders than today. In other words:
Less players = bad for everyone!
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
I see a 235% increase on there lol.

From stable 4k to 15k. I think it's true as well, when I played during forsaken masters there were significantly less people playing especially in the hardcore mode. Only a few masochists were playing hardcore with the desync everywhere and the random deaths due to overpowered masters :).

Being level 90 back then would land you a permanent spot in top 100 or so of those challenge leagues. Now people are hitting 100 faster than ever before.
On top of that I think a lot of people download Path of Exile as well instead of using Steam. I switched over from Steam to download version because Steam was clogging up 3GB of RAM due to memory leaks. I don't know why Steam is successful someone with a Phd in Gender Studies seem to be in charge there or something. How the fuck can one program launch 6 instances of steam helpers that re open every time you close them that take up 3GB of RAM essentially doing nothing? And this is going on for at least over a year.

The people who are developing Steam are incapable is the only logical conclusion you can draw from this. Just look when playing a game and watch these steamwebhelper.exe things clough up 2-3GB of RAM when gaming.
"
Peterlerock wrote:
"
Zhatan wrote:

Is this a good thing?

Don't know, don't care.

All I'm saying is: these numbers show that the game gets played a lot.
So player base looks pretty healthy.

But thats not what the number shows, where do you get that from?

They actually say that the number of players is declining faster then ever before. The number of ppl who hit lv90 or whatever doesnt matter one bit when you try to see how the game is doing.

The number of current players is what matters and whats important in a game you balance around trading in a huge community. So no, playing alot in the beginning and then stop playing is really bad for the game. (also, alot of ppl would have played on if they could actually get maps to play)
"
Zhatan wrote:
"
Peterlerock wrote:
"
Zhatan wrote:

Is this a good thing?

Don't know, don't care.

All I'm saying is: these numbers show that the game gets played a lot.
So player base looks pretty healthy.

They actually say that the number of players is declining faster then ever before. The number of ppl who hit lv90 or whatever doesnt matter one bit when you try to see how the game is doing.

The number of current players is what matters and whats important in a game you balance around trading in a huge community. So no, playing alot in the beginning and then stop playing is really bad for the game. (also, alot of ppl would have played on if they could actually get maps to play)

No the playerbase shot up from 6k to 32k (and that alone from Steam, probably in actuality from 15k to 70k if we also take into account downloaded games from the site).

It is natural that its now down to roughly 28k because a lot of people have seen the changes already and enjoyed them.

I think Act 4 is a brilliant addition to the game. The bosses are done wonderfully, Kaom, Daresso and Malachai are all very fun and brilliant content.
i made a even more shocking discovery:

the amount of people at the supermarket around the corner halved on peak times compared to last year, i think that germany is going bancrupt as people obviously stopped consuming!!1111

edit: thx for english lessons ;)
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Last edited by vio on Aug 15, 2015, 8:33:45 PM
"
vio wrote:

people at the supermarket around the corner halved on peak times compared to last year, i think that germany is going bancrupt as people obviously stopped consuming!!1111

That ppl stopped consuming from your supermarket you mean? (they moved to another supermarket, unless they stopped eating) And that the supermarket will go bancrupt if that trend continues?

Sounds like we are in for big problems if POE goes that way.

"
vio wrote:

people at the supermarket around the corner halved on peak times compared to last year, i think that germany is going bancrupt as people obviously stopped consuming!!1111

people that drove to the store in a truck/suv and not a car, (we don't have car stats) at the supermarket around the corner halved on peak times compared to last year, i think that germany is going bancrupt as people obviously stopped consuming!!1111
Hey...is this thing on?
"
Zhatan wrote:

Why not?

If 30.000 chars are going 1 to 80+ in about one month of temporary leagues, the game obviously still has a healthy playerbase.

Even if there are a bunch of people with several highlevel chars, doesn't change statistics too much, since there's also a bunch of people not in ladder.

So I doubt PoE has a playerbase problem.

3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
"
Peterlerock wrote:
"
Zhatan wrote:

Why not?

If 30.000 chars are going 1 to 80+ in about one month of temporary leagues, the game obviously still has a healthy playerbase.

Even if there are a bunch of people with several highlevel chars, doesn't change statistics too much, since there's also a bunch of people not in ladder.

So I doubt PoE has a playerbase problem.

Ehm.. There's just one problem with this, these players leaves the game slowly after the first month of a League, because there's nothing else to do, and the droprates in this game are so horrendous that they see no improvements in their character, so it's wasted time sticking around after that 1 month.
Participated in the working of the Dyadus Avatar of Fire Templar:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/896505

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info