Is MoM keystone alone not viable anymore?

Is MoM keystone alone not viable anymore?
I mean without EB/GR/ZO/etc...

Just to give an example - with my current build that runs on mana, I have 1100 total mana, with flat mana on some gear, +26% max mana, and around +100% mana regen overall with max lvl Clarity.
This resulted in just 86 mana regen. I could push it past 100 by replacing my mastercrafted amulet.

After aura reservations I have 180 mana left. Not enough. By dropping a herald I will have around 450 mana left.
The issue is, with 4500 life, I need ALL my mana unreserved, for MoM to be truly effective.

For that, I need to also turn off Clarity and AA, which will make MoM useless again and reduce overall defence.

Even if I invest like 10 passives more to boosting max mana, after AA + Clarity reservations it still will be barely enough. Compared to how much investment it takes, running MoM alone doesn't seem worth it at all now.
Increasing Field of View in PoE: /1236921
Last edited by Shajirr on Aug 9, 2015, 3:03:10 PM
26% max mana sounds really low?

That comes next to 2 nodes on the tree maybe.
If you have a properly planned tree you can reach 100% mana increase in like 5 passive points.
[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662
MoM alone was never good. You always needed to pick up some max mana/regen. Also %mana does nothing without some base mana from gear and int.
I have a MoM Witch sitting at level 91. Takes all the damn mana on the tree, I have mana+regen everywhere, Cloak of Defiance, Pledge of Hands and level 24 Clarity.

Thats a shitton of investment if you ask me. But with the new EB, I could just get some ES on gear (Oh wait, I have it anyway because Im a caster), drop ALL the mana nodes and take damage, drop Clarity, reserve 100% of my mana and have a better character. Thats what I got for trying to be a hipster.

Also, due to meaningful balance changes, Clarity gem no longer exists. Seriously, its hilarious how awful that thing is.
"
Darth_Silegy wrote:
Also, due to meaningful balance changes, Clarity gem no longer exists. Seriously, its hilarious how awful that thing is.

I suggested combining Clarity and Vitality into one aura somewhere, might make it more attractive.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
raics wrote:
"
Darth_Silegy wrote:

I suggested combining Clarity and Vitality into one aura somewhere, might make it more attractive.

Yeah it would have been a good idea.

However, Clarity is still pretty much mandatory for any mana-based caster.

"
Guioki wrote:
MoM alone was never good. You always needed to pick up some max mana/regen. Also %mana does nothing without some base mana from gear and int.

Some regen, and you never needed max mana because of how EB worked.
Just one ES item gave more mana than you can have now by having mana rolls everywhere where it is possible.

With my current build, even if I do add 4-5 mana nodes on tree, I still won't have enough without dropping AA and a herald. ANd yes this is with +mana rolls on gear already.
Increasing Field of View in PoE: /1236921
Last edited by Shajirr on Aug 10, 2015, 5:36:32 AM
"

Well, I had a few casters that took cost reduction nodes, which usually have mana on them too, with 1000+ mana and some regen on gear and tree you can sustain quite a bit and use something else instead of clarity, better than taking aura nodes. And cost reduction is like block, the more you have the more effective each additional point gets, and there isn't any limit either, it isn't hard to halve your skill cost with passives and a few cost reduction jewels.

If you think about it, if we're talking about high consumption setups it can be cheaper to halve your mana cost than double your regen.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Aug 10, 2015, 7:49:05 AM
"
"
raics wrote:
"
Darth_Silegy wrote:

Yeah it would have been a good idea.

"
Guioki wrote:

Some regen, and you never needed max mana because of how EB worked.
Just one ES item gave more mana than you can have now by having mana rolls everywhere where it is possible.

With my current build, even if I do add 4-5 mana nodes on tree, I still won't have enough without dropping AA and a herald. ANd yes this is with +mana rolls on gear already.

By definition taking EB is not using MoM alone so I stand by my comment.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info