[2.4] zSavage's Life Based Crit Mjolner ('Savagenuke') [Juggernaut]

What 2.5 is doing to the build

2.4 Changelog

1. Roll Mjolner to BRR (divine if not already newest version, RIP legacy)
2. Run Discharge + Iron Will + Fire Pen
3. Dropped last extra PC from tree (with trailing INT nodes), grabbed last witch 16% spell damage node, 5% life, and +20 int and mana notable from Duelist with the 4 points.
New Skilltree

2.4 made Mjolner always proc on hit with a 0.1s cd/spell, gave discharge 35% less damage when triggered, and reduced the chance to gain max endurance charges with Jugger to 25% instead of 100%. The above changes were made to re optimize the build.

2.3 Changelog

With the buffs to Juggernaut and the extra Ascendancy points, my build has been buffed quite a bit (though not much has really changed). My tree has changed a little due to new jewels, and I've added the new Juggernaut node that gives you max endurance whenever you gain endurance. This gives way more DPS and survivability from both Kingsguard and longer CWDT Immortal Calls. I haven't played this character much since I started Prophecy, but he's stronger than ever. I facerolled the uber lab on my first try and picked up the extra 2 points. If you only have 6, don't take Unyielding (get this with your last 2 after doing uber lab).

Current Skilltree here
I've also swapped out my flicker strike for shield charge, as it acts as a pseudo whirling blades, and is quite effective for speed clearing.

Introduction:
This is a build I specced my high level marauder into after snapshotting was nerfed, after I had purchased a mjolner. Yes, this character is in standard, and I have legacy gear, but this stuff is in no way needed to play this character. Once you have the three core uniques you can start playing this build.

Generally, this is a very tanky high DPS character that can easily do most content and has essentially unlimited flask uses.

For a more budget friendly Mjolner build that doesn't require Voll's, click here. (don't worry, it's also by me, and a Marauder, and a Juggernaut)

Vouches (Good quotes will be placed here)
"
Ergonomically wrote:
I recently tried the rainbownuke and I would like to start by saying it's not my slice of pie. Your savagenuke build is far superior in my honest opinion;there's nothing like it.

"
ownsyouall420 wrote:
Clan mate and I made this build yesterday absolutely amazing we both are EXTREMELY happy with this build EXCELLENT job!!

"
Mibulla wrote:
zSavage, i been playing this game for 3 years now, i made this build some days ago, prob the best toon i have ever played.

Ty for a great spec.

"
I have long sought after Mjolner since I started playing the game a couple years ago. When I started it was expensive though. Since recently they have been cheap as hell, I have been playing many Mjolner builds made by others and myself. Thus far I have enjoyed "SavageNuke" the most as its damage and aoe is most comparable to Fakener that is brutally strong right now. I have played the Low Life Rainbownuke this league as well and even though it is fun, it seemed far too underwhelming for the investment.

Core Uniques

You need a Mjolner (any Mjolner) with the BRR colors. You'll also need Romira's to generate power charges on hit, and Voll's devotion to 'catch' expended power charges.

You'll eventually want one of these two chests:

You don't need a legacy Lightning Coil. It can be any lightning coil. Kingsguard is very very good once you have a Voll's Devotion. Anything but Kingsguard is not ideal with Voll's Devotion.

Skill Tree, lvl 94

Link Here

Ascendancy Class: Juggernaut (Unflinching, Unyielding, Undeniable, Unrelenting)

Required Keystones: None
Required Jewels: None
This build has easy access to 3+ jewel sockets. If you have jewels with life and other useful stats, feel free to drop 5% life nodes and add those.
Look for life, stats, attack speed, modifiers that will affect discharge's damage, modifiers that will affect Discharge's crit multi, and modifiers that will affect discharge's crit chance but not molten strike's.

Skill Setup

DPS:
(In Mjolner) Discharge + Iron Will + Fire Pen
We now no longer use 2 spells in Mjolner as its better to just proc discharge. If you attack fast enough over 10 hits/s you will generate extra charges.

Trigger Skill:
Molten Strike + Multistrike + Fortify + Faster Attacks + GMP (+LGoH for 6L).
You don't need a 5L. A 4L will work but won't be as strong. Your molten strike can now be any level, as the mana cost no longer changes with level as of 2.1.0.
Movement:
Leap Slam + Faster Attacks + Fortify + Shield Charge.
You can use one skill if you like but I prefer to have two, as leap can cross gaps.

Trigger:
CWDT(lvl 6) + Immortal Call(lvl 8) + Increased Duration + Vortex(lvl 9)
We have good Immortal Call uptime (though not as good as 1.3) IF we are using Voll's Devotion. Vortex provides constant chills which is very strong.

Auras:
Elemental Weakness + Blasphemy
-Massive DPS increase
Herald of Thunder, Arctic Armor
AA provides damage reduction while HoT provides extra PCs from hits and extra discharge damage.

Utility Skills (Socket Anywhere):
Vengance, Reckoning
Counter attacks can trigger Mjolner and generate charges. We use a shield, so these can do some work for us.

Lightning Golem
Attack faster = more procs/charges = more DPS

Bloodrage:
Extra attack speed and charge source. Regen handles degen easily.

My gear

Atziri Shield for Swap:

Note: It's absolutely critical that most of your flasks (I recommend all but one, with that being an instant life flask) be Surgeon's. This makes you able to keep up high armor, bleed immunity, high resists, and the like as needed. Having a Surgeon's Eternal life flask is excellent if you need a quick heal.

Bandits, charges

Help Oak OR Kill for passive
Help Kraityn OR Kill for passive
Help Oak for +1 Endurance

Charges:
Power MAX 3
Endurance MAX 6
Frenzy MAX 3

You'll want one more max endurance than power to help catch power charges from back-to-back crits.
I've tested in 2.4 and found I rarely if ever hit 4 PCs so I've dropped the total to 3.

Mechanics/FAQ

How do you generate charges?
A: Our melee attacks have a low crit chance. Hitting enemies with attacks OR non-critting spells generates power charges. Discharge then uses these charges do deal damage. We then gain an endurance charge for every power charge we lose (whether or not we crit). We get a frenzy charge occasionally for killing an enemy.

How do crit spells work with Romira's?
We lose all our power charges, if any, when we crit with a spell. However, a discharge crit won't change anything, because the power charges are already gone. Any power charges lost in a crit just get turned into more endurance charges.

How do you regain life?
One of several ways: Kingsguard causes every discharge to restore 100 HP per endurance charge used. Our boot enchant provides leech.
A surgeon's life flask can be used in a pinch.

How do you sustain high resistances and your flasks?
Since I use surgeon's flasks in almost every slot, the rapid rate of crits from rapid cast spells keep the flasks full pretty much all the time.

What's your DPS?
I have no idea. But it's enough. And it's a lot. :)

How do I level up?
Level however you want or are comfortable. Things like 2H cyclone/EQ or Flame Totem + Firestorm could be pretty easy and fairly fast. It's also OK to take stat nodes to be able to use the Mjolner as soon as you're a high enough level. You can spec out of them later.

What level should my Molten Strike be?
It no longer matters as of 2.1.0. Run as high or as low level as you desire.

Videos - New 2.4 Update up!

-Will be adding new vid explaining newer learned mechanics and the like.

2.4 Update

2.2 Ascendancy Build Guide
Interaction with Decree of Fury
Main Build Guide Vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JibAiKNddIc
78 Palace, hard mods
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X5LIWvZcNs
2.02 patch review with 3D Mjolner Art and new discharge graphic mechanics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNmWmL3CRYk
Level 92 update
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXyREkvzMhg
Atziri Run (Deathless)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kjwww-sCXY

Stats

Life: 6764
ES: 679
Mana: 1348
Life/s: 460
Mana/s: 51.9
->Unreserved mana (3 auras, 85% reserved): 202 -> Molten Strike cost is 21.

(stats are unflasked)
Armor: 5762
Block Chance: 22%
All resistances @ 75, overcapped at ~25% extra (82 while using flasks, 75% overcapped)
-20 chaos res

Offense:
Arc Avg Dmg: 1.6K, 15.5-25.5% crit (charge dependent)
Discharge Avg Dmg: 7084 w/ 3 power 3 endurance, ~14K with max (12) charges. Crit chance 21.7-35.7%, charge dependent.

Molten Strike APS: 6.41, no frenzy charges
Hit chance: 92%

Blasphemy/Uber Theorycraft

Plan for running Uber:
Purity of Light + Enlighten + Purity of Fire in my +1 Saffels. Continue running AA.
This gets max res up to 90% for fire and light with flask running.

Blasphemy Theory: It's be possible to run Blasphemy + (Ele weak/enfeeble/temp chains) instead of other auras. Atziri doesn't reflect blasphemy curses. Considering dual curse + aa/HoT if proper gear acquired.

A word about enchants

Here's what I recommend for enchants:
Gloves: Decree of Fury. Absolute BIS. Shooting out a bunch of piercing projectiles every 5 seconds that can trigger the Mjolner is pretty darn awesome. It's triggered whenever anything hits. I'll have a vid about this soon.
Helm: Discharge damage or Molten Strike projectiles. Things that buff one of your other skills are ok though; use your judgement. I do NOT want discharge to not consume charges though. I need the charge generation cycle to not be disrupted.
Boots: Either Life + Mana leech if you've killed recently or Life and Mana regen if you've been hit recently.

Let me know if you have any questions/want more sections in the guide. I'll be adding to this more as I play the 2.4+ version of my character more.

Cheers!

-Savage
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Last edited by zSavage on Nov 30, 2016, 11:02:57 AM
Last bumped on Jan 3, 2017, 4:28:44 AM
Updated with build guide video.
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Seems like a cool build. Could you post your stats such as life/discharge dmg/arc dmg/ etc? Would really be nice to see.

Also what is your opinion of a full life build such as yours compared to a dual life and ES build like https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1368797
"
Seems like a cool build. Could you post your stats such as life/discharge dmg/arc dmg/ etc? Would really be nice to see.

Also what is your opinion of a full life build such as yours compared to a dual life and ES build like https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1368797

Added under 'stats' section.

Versus the build posted above, my build will out-dps and out tank it with proper flask use. If you use Lightning Coil, the DPS will drop but tankiness will go up a lot, though I haven't needed it. My build should be able to do Atziri easier due to flask sustain. My build also attacks much faster and achieves higher hits/s by using molten strike.

Also, since I have a higher life pool, I will struggle less with chaos damage.
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Thanks for your very quick reply!

You don't have problems with physical burst damage on higher maps? I would love to see some hard mods on lvl 78+.
"
Thanks for your very quick reply!

You don't have problems with physical burst damage on higher maps? I would love to see some hard mods on lvl 78+.

I can try to get a video up running a 78 palace or something.

I can say I've ran a palace w/ 35% monster damage that had Vaal Colossus monsters on it, and I found a Savage pack of them that hit for about 3K when I had no fortify. The thing is though you will rarely if ever take more than one hit in a row due to the immortal call setup. The life healed almost instantly from the Kingsguard heal and using the Surgeon's Eternal Flask.

When using Kingsguard, I have around 4K armor (yeah, low) (estimated 32% reduction, lol), fortify (20% reduction), and 3-5 endurance charges (12-20% phys reduction). I've easily facetanked the palace dominus lightning fist while using my topaz flask though.

For doing a very dangerous phys boss like village ruins (which I have yet to do), I'd probably use my Lightning coil, and maybe a surgeon's granite flask of iron skin.

The Kingsguard enables you to get more DPS because you can drop the LL gem, but LC is the tankier option.

With a legacy and 79% light res it equates to about 32% less physical damage taken, from one item.
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Added 78 Palace map run w/ hard mods.
twitch.tv/savagewolves
i would let u now that u need for the 6L molten strike with lgoh u need at leawst one mana on hit jewel nice build iam quite enjoying it
▒█▀▀█ █▀▀█ █▀▀ █▀▀ █▀▀   ▒█▀▄▀█ G O O D MTX Seal of Quality
▒█▄▄█ █▄▄▀ █▀▀ ▀▀█ ▀▀█   ▒█▒█▒█ O Verified by M-posting, Inc.
▒█░░░ ▀░▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀   ▒█░░▒█ Y
Last edited by Dafii on Aug 15, 2015, 12:19:47 PM
Added new video showing Mjolner 3D art added in 2.02 and the graphical changes to discharge.

I'm approaching level 92, and will give the guide a facelift when I get there.
twitch.tv/savagewolves
Hey there,

Is this build Tempest viable? And you think vaal running without Vaal pact is a safe go with this one?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info