TUTORIAL - How to play Path of Exile on LINUX

Tested with Ubuntu 14.04, all works fine except two issues:

1. There is known bug with installing ttf-mscorefonts-installer that required for PlayOnLinux, its requires that you hit "Ok" in license agreement, but window with this "Ok" is just missing during install. You can manually re-install ttf-mscorefonts-installer after PlayOnLinux installation with next command:
sudo apt-get --purge --reinstall install ttf-mscorefonts-installer

2. After Path of Exile was installed it crashes on start complaining its cannot initialize some render systems. Fixed wit selecting Path of Exile > Configure > Wine version > System.
In game: Necho, Chokka
I hope that someone here can help me on this. I am running Mint 17 Cinnamon and I have Path of Exile installed using PlayOnLinux, everything went like it was supposed to (I think) but when I open the game client (either by double clicking on the desktop icon or selecting 'Run' from the PlayOnLinux window), the game starts to open and I get an error that says

"Failed resetting Direct3D device objects."

Any idea how to fix this?
Exile

"Bullshit, you get the game for free."
-Qarl
No idea how direct-x is handled under the linix environment, but the error message sounds like an incompatibility with the expected version/functionality. I think it could be the same message you get with a too old/insufficient gpu on windows.
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
See this thread, this is where we make it work, it will solve your problems.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/8980/page/112
HAIL SATAN!
"
Chokka wrote:
Tested with Ubuntu 14.04, all works fine except two issues:

1. There is known bug with installing ttf-mscorefonts-installer that required for PlayOnLinux, its requires that you hit "Ok" in license agreement, but window with this "Ok" is just missing during install. You can manually re-install ttf-mscorefonts-installer after PlayOnLinux installation with next command:
sudo apt-get --purge --reinstall install ttf-mscorefonts-installer

2. After Path of Exile was installed it crashes on start complaining its cannot initialize some render systems. Fixed wit selecting Path of Exile > Configure > Wine version > System.

BIG THX "sudo apt-get --purge --reinstall install ttf-mscorefonts-installer" solved my issue i only had the window wait a while all the time and nothing there where i could see what could couse the issue
Is there any change for good on Wine ? I had to get rid of PoE on wine because I the Nvidia drivers act weird with Wine. I have a 12 core, 16 GB, Nvidia 760 GT and the performance was bad.

This was one year ago, what about now ?
"
Is there any change for good on Wine ? I had to get rid of PoE on wine because I the Nvidia drivers act weird with Wine. I have a 12 core, 16 GB, Nvidia 760 GT and the performance was bad.

This was one year ago, what about now ?

I have got the same GPU and the performance is awesome. I am using "play on linux" and followed the given instructions in the pol-board.
Everything seemed to work fine, and I've installed POE, but when I try to run it I get error prompt from Playonlinux:

Error in POL_Wine
Wine seems to have crashed

If your program is running, just ignore this message

I'm running Debian 8 Jessie, core i5, 6GB RAM.

Has anyone encountered this issue before/know what might solve it? If you need anymore information I've left out please let me know. Thanks for your time!
Chokka thank you so much! <3

I had this error with PlayOnLinux 4.2.7

"Error in POL_Wine
Wine seems to have crashed

If your program is running, just ignore this message"

Your advice worked, now the Launcher is showing and downloading patches.

If his advice was not enough for others, I can inform you that I enabled 32 bit (i386) architecture on my Ubuntu 15.04 64-bit installation following this guide:

http://www.unixmen.com/enable-32-bit-support-64-bit-ubuntu-13-10-greater/

Thanks again Chokka, your suggestions were the missing parts of my puzzle.
The best tutorial to play PoE on linux is to create a new partition and install Windows. I have tried everything, even compiled Wine nightlies by hand and the performance always sucked. It is because of the Nvidia drivers not being as good as on Windows.

Just forget it if you want real playing performance.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info