[2.2 Updated] Nuclear Dawn - Vaal Molten Shell -1.45M TOTAL AOE DPS, 75% CHAOS - Witch/Templar/Scion

Quick update for 2.2

While most of the stuff below still applies, I wanted to give a brief update for 2.2. The best class to build this is the witch because of the superior bonuses in the elementalist ascendancy class. Second best is inquisitor templar but not far.

Here's what changed:
- Got rid of HoT curse setup, now using blasphemy which is more reliable and also guarantees leech throw warlords mark. This allows me to get rid of the leech gem and not have to rely on the scarce shock procs to trigger HoT.
- Spell echo no longer duplicates VMS. Spell echo and leech were replaced by
. The negative parts of them are a moot point for this build. My chest went from RRRRBB to RRBBBB which is much easier to get (I managed to change it on my corrupted one with less than 100 chromes/vaal orbs)
- Incinerate no longer needs mana leech gem, thus leaving room for
. It's now at a very decent 22K DPS that allows for fast capping of souls.
- With 2 curses I don't have enough room for Arctic Armour anymore, but I don't feel like I'm needing it. With Temporal Chains I did 35% of 93 to 94 on my old templar without ever getting any close to dying.
- Added fire golem for increased fire damage, synergized with elementalist's "Liege of the primordial". Golem itself gives 20% increased damage, but this keystone doubles it to 40% and also gives an additional 40% damage to us since it matches VMS's fire damage before conversion to chaos. A whooping 80% increased damage in total.

My witch tree at lvl 92

My templar tree at lvl 93

Gear and gems (Still don't have the right enchantments)
Spoiler

Bandits
Spoiler

Life, skill point, Endurance charge

[Enchantments]
Spoiler

- Head: Reduced clarity mana reservation
- Boots: 12 % Increased attack and cast speed if you killed recently
- Gloves: Anything really. Nothing useful here.

[DPS Screenshots + Calculations] (all of them while ignited, since you're always ignited)
Spoiler

Increased area of effect (70k * 11.24 = 786k VMS damage)

Increased area of effect with flask (81K * 11.24 = 910k VMS damage)

Concentrated effect (112k * 11.24 = 1.258M VMS damage)

Concentrated effect with flask (129K * 11.24 = 1.454M VMS damage)

Incinerate, 22K dps at 11.24 speed.

On a budget?
Spoiler

- The only expensive item you cannot miss is Scold's Bridle.
- Mokou's and lazhwar are worth nothing
- Get cheap rares with resists and life for Gloves and boots, 1 30 dex node might help.
- Replace The Consuming Dark with Cybil's paw (beware of elemental reflect)
- 5L chest with no corruption works just fine
- Single curse works just fine.

How to corrupt your chest
Spoiler

1_6 socket then Vaal for +1 gems or +2 vaal gems which are moreless the same (cost depends on number of attempts but generally not worth much)
3_1500 Vaal orbs + 1500 fuse to 6L in vorici (around 58Ex worth)
4_about 100 more vaal and 100 chromes to color in vorici (2.5Ex worth)

This gets you lvl 25 Vaal Molten shell for less than 70Ex, a third of what any decent mirrored item you need for most good builds, and the random part is the cheapest of all. Once you get a 6S with the corruption you want, the cost is fixed and there's no randomness. It was entirely worth it for me.

Old thread (still useful to understand mechanics, ignore gems)
Spoiler

Intro

Like most Vaal Molten Shell builds, this build relies on Scold's Bridle to hurt yourself, and generate insane amounts of damage by triggering Vaal Molten Shell a considerable number of times every second. For this, we need a spell with a very fast base cast speed, which both allows us to get the initial souls to power Vaal Molten Shell and also allows us to trigger the effect as many times as possible. In this case we've chosen incinerate.

This is my first build post, so I'll appreciate all feedback I can get. I'll add your questions to the FAQ section when they get answered to make it more complete. The only REQUIRED expensive item is Scold's Bridle, so the simplest version of the build can be done for 18Ex without counting jewels and gems and the damage is already insane! With the consuming dark, the price tag bumps to about 24Ex

Change Log
r0 - Initial Build
r1 - BIS weapon is now The Consuming Dark. Damage increase and reflect safe :D.

r2 - Added build 2 which gets to use Rathpith's Globe again for awesome defenses and more life! My alternative of choice, for now.
r3 - Updated tree for build 2. Lost a bit of block and went from 3560 life to a whooping 4249! I'm also using MoM because it hasn't made an impact on my mana and helps with mitigation. Added my current gear on FAQ section. I won't be updating my gear inside the builds section as it makes it seem harder to get than it really is. Crappy rares will do most of the time if you don't shoot for perfect chaos resist. Changed second curse when using The Consuming Dark to Poacher's Mark. Buffed DPS on build 2 gets bumped by over 60K with this (screenshots soon).
r4 - Updated stat screenshots for build 2.
r5 - Added Atziri video by popular demand.

Pros
- Insane AOE Damage (>390k with increased area of effect, calculations below). About 275k of those are chaos damage which isn't reflected and normal mobs don't have resistance to.
- 28 second duration Vaal Molten Shell, easy to sustain for a whole map with it's own kills.
- Hidden damage: Fire Penetration, Celestial Punishment (25% increased damage through ignite), Elemental Weakness
- Insane clear speed
- Automatic cursing through Herald of Thunder
- Cheap beyond the cost of Scold's Bridle
- 100% mana reserved Herald of Thunder + Arctic Armour + Anger. No enlighten or aura nodes required.
- Good defenses: Block, Spell Block, Arctic Armour, Permanent Fortify, Endurance Charges. 4200 Life!
- Rumi's Flask also gives spell power through Cybil's Paw
- Can do most map mods. I avoid vulnerability and lowered max resists.
- Lots of versatility through jewel slots

Cons
- Not designed to do Atziri. Seriously go do a cheap SRS build for that :). I'm not saying it can't be done with it, just that there's better builds for that.
- Not safe against elemental reflect, but easy to avoid.. (now safe thanks to The Consuming Dark). Reflect maps still not recommended. Avoid Vulnerability maps as well. All other mods are easy.
- Need to keep an eye on corruption stacks because high speed casting can kill you quickly.

Videos

I'll try to add more. Sorry, my upload speed is very limited!

Build 1, with Cybik's Paw
Strand 73
Labyrinth 74
Volcano 77 with 60% Fire Resist

Build 2, The Consuming Dark
Dry Peninsula 75
Academy 76
Arid Lake 76

Atziri - Vaal and Trio
Atziri - The queen
I almost died on trio but on the video you'll see it's pretty obviously due to desync. The rest is alright.

Required items

I'm going to mention several variations of the build I've been tuning over the last few days, which will have different budgets. At the very minimum, you're going to need a Scold's Bridle for ANY of these builds to make sense at all. A few slots are shared across all versions of the build and also are very cheap items as you'll see below:

Helmet

Vaal Molten Shell does damage when you get damaged. Scold's Bridle damages you when you cast. This converts your puny incinerateinto a "Right click for explosions" button, not to mention the free massive spell power. Price ranges from 14ex depending on the spell damage roll.
For your convenience: http://poe.trade/search/oteheyarekiyuh

Weapon

or

The Consuming Dark
  • Gives up to 60% spell power
  • Bumps your anger gem 1 level
  • Converts 75% of your fire damage to chaos, for which almost nothing has resistance, and most importantly, reflect. You can now safely ignore random single reflect mobs on maps you do. Reflect maps can be done but i don't recommend it. Incinerate melts mobs much faster allowing for an easier time charging initial souls. Tooltip DPS is a bit higher resulting in about 15k more dps for me for Vaal Molten Shell

You can get one of these for 6 Ex.
For your convenience: http://poe.trade/search/unatonanasihar

Cybil's Paw
  • Spell Damage through block. Someone made me notice that they bumped the Spell power through block to 8% in 2.0, so make sure you get one of the new ones!
  • Up to 12% cast speed
  • Life on Spell Hit

You can get one of these for 1 chaos.
For your convenience: http://poe.trade/search/oritareharinan

Both weapons give the ability to use Whirling Blades, which is one of the best movement skills. Whirling Blades comes with a plus in this build: it will trigger an explosion every time you move with it. When your damage is high enough, you can skate around a map and kill everything just by doing it.

Amulet

Stone of Lazhwar gives you a bunch of cast speed and also spell block. The fact that it's cheap also makes it easier to get one with a favorable corruption, like my extra curse here. You can get one of these for 1 chaos, or a few ex if you want it with a good corruption, like extra curse or fire leech.
For your convenience: http://poe.trade/search/umahoumenazoha

Chest and Rings

Mokou's Embrace provides a huge attack speed and cast speed bonus whenever you are ignited, not to mention the massive increased fire damage bonus. Attack speed translates into movement speed through Whirling Blades, which means faster skating and killing, so it's not useless despite you not using any attacks. Now, how the hell do you reliably get ignited? Here is when Cloak of Flame's comes into play. Cloak of Flame's will convert some of the physical damage you take into fire damage, (much like Lightning Coil does with lightning damage). Therefore, physical damage is now capable of igniting you. Luckily, you're also constantly dealing physical damage to yourself when you cast because of Scold's Bridle. As soon as you start using incinerate or whirling blades, you'll be on fire, and you'll get all these bonuses. Price: You can get 2 of these rings for 1 chaos each. As for the chest you can get an unlinked one for 1 chaos. A 5L will do just fine. You'll figure out if it's worth investing in a 6L.

For your convenience:
http://poe.trade/search/arazunimisetis
http://poe.trade/search/ioukosiwohigow

Boots, Belt and Gloves
Here you'll want to get as much life and whatever resists you need to cap all your resistances.

Rare Jewels

Look for these stats, in this priority:
1)Increased Area Damage/Increased Spell Damage/Increased Fire Damage
2)3% Shock Chance. I used to have more shock nodes, to be able to trigger herald of thunder, but I found the build will work perfectly with about 16%. You get 10% from the tree, so try to get 2 jewels with 3% Shock Chance.
3)Life, Cast Speed, Block Chance

Unique Jewels

This helps us reach our dex needs using just one slot. The corruption mod I got is just a nice addition. Alternatively, you can use headhunter, which I do since I had it from my mjolner char.. HeadHunter not recommended because of this

Additional souls translate into additional Vaal Molten Shell uptime. 3 of these is the optimal amount.

This one is not as good as it seems. It translates into 2ish seconds of duration since it applies to the base duration. I only use one of these because i got it rather cheap.

Builds
Essentially, these builds will differ in the way to sustain incinerate, the ability to leech life, and obviously, cost. The build I'm currently using and I think is best is Build 2.

This trees are all for Templar but adapting them for Scion is trivial since I'm just 2 nodes away from the start. Scion will also benefit from having 3 x 4% increased area of effect nodes available which I can't reach as a templar.

Build 1: sustaining through Blood Magic:
Spoiler

Description
This build sustains incinerate through the use of Blood Magic. However, there's a catch: the blood magic gem has a cost multiplier so high, that together with the 4x damage that we're going to get through Scold's Bridle, is going to kill us very very quickly. While reducing the incinerate cost to 0 is very possible, it does not work: we won't get damaged when casting it, and vaal molten shell will not trigger. My solution was this:

Prism Guardian will give blood magic for free to gems linked with it, but without the additional cast cost! Yes, it sounds weird to use this item and not put any auras on it, but believe me, it works very very well. Having incinerate on the shield also frees a 4 link to add yet another curse to our HoT + Curse on Hit setup (Elemental Weakness if using Cybil's Paw. Poacher's mark if using The Consuming Dark, for 12% MORE damage and 12% more cast/attack speed). Whirling Blades has a much lower speed and will work fine with a Blood Magic gem.

Gem Setup

Shield (BBG): Incinerate + Faster Casting + Lesser Multiple Projectiles

Chest, with The Consuming Dark (6L RRRRBB, 5L RRRBB): Vaal Molten Shell, Empower, Increased Duration, Life Leech, Spell Echo, Increased Area of Effect. Swap gems: Iron Will, Concentrated Effect
(We don't need Fire Penetration here as most of our damage is chaos, so we can use life leech all the time without worrying much about damage, or socket Iron Will)

Chest, with Cybil's Paw (6L RRRRBB, 5L RRRBB): Vaal Molten Shell, Empower, Increased Duration, Fire Penetration, Spell Echo, Increased Area of Effect. Swap gems: Life Leech, Iron Will, Concentrated Effect

Anywhere (RGB): Arctic Armour + Anger + Purity of Elements (enable when running -resistances and disable Anger, optional)

Anywhere (GGRR): Whirling Blades + Faster Attacks + Fortify + Blood Magic
NB: Whirling Blades is best kept at lvl 1 to use less mana. We don't care about it's damage. Quality is good though.

Anywhere (RRR): Cast On Damage Taken + Immortal Call + Increased Duration
You can judge the level you need or want for CoDT. I use lvl 4.

Anywhere (BBRB): Herald of Thunder + Curse on Hit + Warlord's Mark + Elemental Weakness (if no double curse, drop elemental weakness)

Quality is good but not necessary on any gems, except Anger, for which it provides nothing useful. The level for Spell Echo on VMS doesn't matter, but the quality does as it gives additional damage.

Passive Tree Lvl 90

PoE-DB
GGG tree

Example Gear
Spoiler

Build 2: sustaining through Mana Regen and Leech:
Spoiler

Description
This build sustains incinerate through the use of Clarity and Leech Mana. The drawback is we need to drop Anger, but don't despair: since it allows us to use Rathpith's Globe we get up to 60% spell power in return, which is in fact better than Anger. We've moved incinerate to a 4L (in my case boots), and moved our Cast On Damage Taken setup to a 3 link (shield) since we were not using the 4 slots. I grabbed a few mana regen nodes but they might not be necessary depending on your mana pool.

Gem Setup

Anywhere (BBGG): Incinerate + Faster Casting + Lesser Multiple Projectiles + Mana Leech

Chest, with The Consuming Dark (6L RRRRBB, 5L RRRBB): Vaal Molten Shell, Empower, Increased Duration, Life Leech, Spell Echo, Increased Area of Effect. Swap gems: Iron Will, Concentrated Effect
(We don't need Fire Penetration here as most of our damage is chaos, so we can use life leech all the time without worrying much about damage, or socket Iron Will)

Chest, with Cybil's Paw (6L RRRRBB, 5L RRRBB): Vaal Molten Shell, Empower, Increased Duration, Fire Penetration, Spell Echo, Increased Area of Effect. Swap gems: Life Leech, Iron Will, Concentrated Effect

Anywhere (BBX): Arctic Armour + Clarity lvl 20 + Purity of Elements (enable when running -resistances and disable AA, optional)

Anywhere (GGRR): Whirling Blades + Faster Attacks + Fortify + Blood Magic
NB: Whirling Blades is best kept at lvl 1 to use less mana. We don't care about it's damage. Quality is good though. I still use blood magic here since we want to conserve our mana pool for incinerate, and we don't want to be blocked from moving if mana is low for safety reasons.

Anywhere (RRR): Cast On Damage Taken + Immortal Call + Increased Duration
You can judge the level you need or want for CoDT. I use lvl 4.

Anywhere, with Cybil's Paw (BBRB): Herald of Thunder + Curse on Hit + Warlord's Mark + Elemental Weakness (if no double curse, drop elemental weakness)
or
Anywhere, with The consuming Dark (BBRB): Herald of Thunder + Curse on Hit + Warlord's Mark + Poacher's Mark (if no double curse, drop poacher's mark). Poacher's Mark gets you more Flask Charges for more block and leech uptime, frenzy charges that translate into 12% more damage + 12% attack/cast speed.

Quality is good but not necessary on any gems. The level for Spell Echo on VMS doesn't matter, but the quality does as it gives additional damage.

Passive Tree Lvl 90

GGG tree

If you have more points available, grab Witch Flask nodes and life.

Example Gear. You might need Careful Planning to reach dex needs

Stats using the consuming dark: See FAQ for calculation procedure

Spoiler

Defenses

Defenses with Rumi's

Incinerate (ignited cast speed)

Vaal Molten Shell (Increased Area of Effect) 401K DPS

Vaal Molten Shell (Increased Area of Effect + Atziri's Promise + Frenzy Charges) 549K DPS

Vaal Molten Shell (Concentrated Effect) 637K DPS

Vaal Molten Shell (Concentrated Effect + Atziri's Promise + Frenzy Charges) 869K DPS

Alternative builds:
Spoiler

There are other variations of the build which I will add here later. Essentially, you can also grab Eldritch Battery and sustain incinerate with ES, allowing you to drop Prism Guardian over Rathpith's Globe, for 10% additional life and a lot more block chance. There are 2 options:

1)Grabbing Ghost Reaver. The downside is you spend a lot of nodes, and that you cannot possibly steal life anymore. This is possibly the cheapest alternative yet still very successful.

Tree for LVL 90:

http://cb.poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwUBA-4EswY5CaoNzRBYEQ8RLRSwGFYaOBzOHNwdvh_HJy8o-iqNK1AreCycLYsy0TOHNZI2iTbYOlg62DsNPAU9Dz1fPydBh0VHRZ1JG0rITC1Ms0-vUWBSU1NSVcZZbV9qX5hmVGe9aHRo8m0ZbqpvO3gNe8N8g3y7gh6Cm4LHhXuHZYhCiq-LjI8aj_qQEZBVl5WX9Jo7muCf36IArJivp7Xytz64k8AawGbAmsHFzzLQH9DQ1abYvdn82mLbC-vu7BjsOOxV7TzvfO_r8B_xbPMG9On53fno-6r-Cv5U

2)Using Shavronne's Revelation on the right ring slot to regenerate ES. Downside is you lose 1 mokou's and the chest+ring combo is not as optimal, also legacy and expensive.

Tree for LVL 90:

http://cb.poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwUAA-4EswY5CaoNzQ5cEFgRDxEtFLAYVho4HM4c3B2-H8cnLyj6Ko0rUCt4LJwtizLRM4c1kjaJNtg6WDrYOw08BTwtPQ89Xz8nQYdFR0V-RZ1JG0rITC1Ms0-vUWBSU1NSVcZZbV-YZlRnvWh0aPJq-m0ZbqpvO3gNe8N8g3y7gh6Cm4LHg1-DzIV7h2WKr4uMjxqQEZBVl5WX9Jo7muCf36IArJivp7Xytz64k8AawGbAms8y0B_Vpti92fzaYtsL6-7sOOxV7TzvfO_r8B_xbPMG9On53fno-6r-Cv5U

FAQ

1) Why don't you use Spell Echo with incinerate? Wouldn't that give you a lot more cast speed than Faster Casting?

Yes, it would. Sadly, it's not just cast speed we need, we need each cast to cost mana, since that is what drives our Vaal Molten Shell explosions per second. With spell echo, we'd only get half as much explosions as our cast speed, because only the first cast spends mana. Most other builds didn't figure this out, so their DPS calculations are completely screwed.
(Spell echo doesn't work with incinerate anymore so a moot point)

2) Why do you use Spell Echo with Vaal Molten Shell?

Essentially it gets you 2 layers of Vaal Molten Shell. The explosions overlap and cannot be clearly seen, but the damage change is clearly noticeable.
(fixed by GGG)

3) How do I calculate my VMS damage roughly?
Basically:
AOEDamagePerSecond = (IncinerateCastsPerSecond * VaalMoltenShellTooltipDamage)

4) Why don't you use Doryani's Invitation or a spell damage based wand?
Because I want to be able to use Whirling Blades.

5) What is your current gear?

Spoiler

Last edited by fer662 on May 3, 2016, 2:16:00 PM
Last bumped on Jun 12, 2016, 9:09:49 PM
Reserved
Had my friend playing this build in a party the other day, shit is crazy haha. Nice job on the build, very interesting use of mechanics.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
Added build #2, which sustains through mana and gets increased life, block and DPS. It's also less expensive than before since it drops Prism Guardian for Rathpith's Globe.

Budget with the consuming dark not including gems and jewels:

Scold's Bridle 15Ex
The consuming Dark 6Ex
5L Cloak of Flame 2Ex
Rathpith's Globe 0.25Ex (you can get a very decent roll for 1Ex)
Mokou's x 2 0.05Ex
Lazhwar 0.025Ex
Grand total ~24Ex

Budget with the consuming dark not including gems and jewels:

Scold's Bridle 15Ex
5L Cloak of Flame 2Ex
Cybil's Paw 0.025Ex
Rathpith's Globe 0.25Ex (you can get a very decent roll for 1Ex)
Mokou's x 2 0.05Ex
Lazhwar 0.025Ex
Grand total ~18Ex

You can easily cap resists with very cheap gloves, belt and boots.
Last edited by fer662 on Aug 8, 2015, 10:31:03 AM
seems sexy. waiting for video
"
Defaceo wrote:
seems sexy. waiting for video

There's videos already :)
Seems like a fun build!

build 2 doesnt show anything in the skilltree calculater. All but an empty tree.
"
Harmster wrote:
Seems like a fun build!

build 2 doesnt show anything in the skilltree calculater. All but an empty tree.

Oops, the markup was wrong. Should work now, thanks!
Really cool build! Want to try but is this build viable with cyclone instead of incinerate?
"
Really cool build! Want to try but is this build viable with cyclone instead of incinerate?

I don't know really, you're certainly welcome to try it out and post your results. It might work for attack speed, but remember you actually need to kill stuff with it to charge the souls.

A few insights though:
  • Incinerate is really really good for having only 2 support gems in this setup. It also gets full benefit from all the spell power and elemental damage you grab for VMS.
  • You'll need attack speed instead of cast speed. It's easy to fix in the tree. Also the chest-ring combo provides both.
  • Multistrike will cause the same effect as spell echo: more attack speed but less VMS procs
  • You'll be exposed to melee physical damage and you'll have crappy armor with this gearset

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info