Freezes ingame, forums go down... AGAIN?

Today 4x. My FPS is capped, my [F1] says I have 41ms (which is not true, connection is totally gone). You can also tell that the connection to the server is lost because the ping stays at a constant value, instead of going a little bit up&down all the time.

Everything freezes except for the animations and sounds. I can press potions or try to logout through the menu, but nothing works. I hear the clicking/drinking sounds but it doesn't actually do anything.

If I'm lucky everything goes back to normal in 1-2 seconds, but first it speeds up the game really fast for a moment. But if not, I have to alt+f4 out or wait for the famous "an unexpected disconnection occurred".

When I check the forums at the same time this happens, I also notice that they timeout. About 10 seconds later everything is back to normal.

This is EXTREMELY dangerous for HC and if you happened to be fighting dominus, malachai, piety, you probably ripped. Also any quest progress is lost.
Last edited by silverdash on Aug 2, 2015, 3:22:29 PM
You need to tell us a few important things:

Lockstep (y/n)?
Gateway?
Lockstep: yes (should probably disable for HC anyway)
Gateway: Amsterdam and London (EU), both same problem.
Also trying to access my inventory here on the site. It loads extremely slow right now and most of the time it only loads the first tab and not any of the other tabs. Also it glitches because of it. Something is wrong with the servers.
Last edited by silverdash on Aug 2, 2015, 3:52:13 PM
Also the forums are extremely slow right now. Other sites are just fine. Pings are fine. Netflix streams fine, Google is fine, other games are fine. But today, and especially this night, Poe ingame and the forums are slow/unstable.

Took over 10 seconds just to post this after hitting "submit"...

EDIT:
It seems this problem is the same as:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1337597

Only mine are way more severe than the one from the OP there in the video-demo. Also I can get disconnected and it can happen in act 4 town without any other players around while idle. It's not related to mob-density.
Last edited by silverdash on Aug 2, 2015, 5:03:34 PM
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| 192.168.1.1 - 0 | 1114 | 1114 | 0 | 0 | 5 | 0 |
| ip1-152-209-87.adsl2.static.versatel.nl - 1 | 1110 | 1109 | 28 | 31 | 332 | 29 |
| unlabelled-213-24-53-212.versatel.net - 1 | 1110 | 1109 | 33 | 36 | 311 | 34 |
| ae6-0.br04sara.versatel.net - 1 | 1105 | 1103 | 0 | 38 | 349 | 35 |
| softlayer.equinix-am1.nl-ix.net - 1 | 1109 | 1108 | 33 | 37 | 310 | 34 |
| ae6.dar01.sr01.ams01.networklayer.com - 1 | 1110 | 1109 | 34 | 37 | 316 | 35 |
| po1.fcr01.sr01.ams01.networklayer.com - 1 | 1074 | 1064 | 34 | 43 | 341 | 36 |
| speedtest.ams01.softlayer.com - 1 | 1110 | 1109 | 35 | 38 | 308 | 36 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Always packet loss.
"
silverdash wrote:
Always packet loss.

That packet loss is between your first hop and second hop.. which is usually the gateway after the modem.

I'd try unplugging and re-plugging in your router/modem and see if it clears up. If not, you'll need to contact your ISP to get that looked at.

Also, you shouldn't compare "other games" or "other services" because that's not how the internet works.

Think of the internet like the roads in your city, and services as the buildings. For you to drive to one of those buildings, you take a particular set of roads. You don't take that exact same route to get to EVERY building in the city right? At some points the paths are the same, and at other points, they start to differ. That is how the internet works as well. There is a part of the trace that will be the same no matter where you're going, but at some point that route can diverge. Just as certain roads can have traffic congestion, or construction, or other things which can cause issues, so can certain routes on the internet.

So please try to refrain from comparing "other" anythings without fully understanding what you are implying.

Another thing of note is that "other games" USE the network differently and have different mitigation techniques. For example, YouTube uses buffering to prevent interruptions in data/network loss situations. Because it pre-loads a lot of data, it can generally withstand the network being completely disconnected for a few seconds. It will continue to play the buffer hoping that the network connection will be restored by the time the buffer runs out.

This is also true for a lot of other games. They don't necessarily use "buffering" to mitigate connection issues, but they use local simulations and other more relaxed network models to allow variation without you seeing it happening.

Path of Exile on the other hand does not really use any mitigation techniques, and if you have a connection issue, PoE will definitely point it out. It is not tolerant of connection issues at all.

Good luck.
You are right.

But why does my character "TheDismountedTemplar" (dual flame totem, hardcore league) have a lot of packet loss while my softcore character(s) do not? could be coincidence.

Also the forums sometimes go briefly down during peaks for a few seconds up to like 10 seconds, while other sites are still up for me. Why is that?

And the packet loss can go as high as 20%

"
So please try to refrain from comparing "other" anythings without fully understanding what you are implying.

I don't know how lockstep works, but I know how movement prediction and such works and I'm fairly sure that it's the games fault in my case here and not on my end.
Last edited by silverdash on Aug 9, 2015, 6:58:17 AM
It's not always between my router and my ISP I believe, here you see a higher loss higher up.

Interestingly I also noticed that the lag-spikes can also occur without winmtr registering any packet loss.

I tested a bit more today and found out that my TheDismountedTemplar in act4 (not int own) in the grand arena has a n EXTREMELY LOT of lag spikes. While my softcore ranger (even though her build should be way more laggy) has rarerely any lag spikes at all. Maybe just a few minor ones over many hours of gameplay. But the templar in hc-league, he has 10+ / hour. And they are also much more severe, like 2-3 or more seconds of freeze, then the game speeds up and I gotta pray I didn't die.

This is all in lockstep mode.

So:
- packet loss is anywhere between the router and the final destination in winmtr
- Packet loss is usually between 1-3%, but can go up to 20% in the worst case that I saw.
- my hardcore dual flame totem guy has an extremely lot more lag-spikes than my ranger in softcore and they also last longer.
- The forums (rare though) may also temporarily go down for up to like 10 seconds while a major lag-spike is in progress. But other random sites work. Hasn't happened lately anymore.
- Ingame ping does not show any spikes. It remains around 40ms.
- London gateway is equally bad.
Last edited by silverdash on Aug 9, 2015, 12:40:17 PM
Damn wish I ahd winmtr running. I was in my map and a lag spike longer than 10 seconds came. I quickly started winmtr but the lag spike was almost gone already. Still you can see some serious packet loss here.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| 192.168.1.1 - 0 | 72 | 72 | 0 | 0 | 2 | 0 |
| ip1-152-209-87.adsl2.static.versatel.nl - 0 | 72 | 72 | 28 | 30 | 60 | 30 |
| unlabelled-213-24-53-212.versatel.net - 4 | 64 | 62 | 33 | 41 | 71 | 37 |
| ae6-0.br04sara.versatel.net - 8 | 56 | 52 | 0 | 40 | 83 | 37 |
| softlayer.equinix-am1.nl-ix.net - 0 | 72 | 72 | 34 | 35 | 59 | 36 |
| ae6.dar01.sr01.ams01.networklayer.com - 0 | 72 | 72 | 34 | 37 | 59 | 51 |
| po1.fcr01.sr01.ams01.networklayer.com - 0 | 72 | 72 | 34 | 38 | 72 | 36 |
| speedtest.ams01.softlayer.com - 5 | 60 | 57 | 0 | 41 | 72 | 38 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

If it's that common for you, you could leave the test running...it doesn't impact the game running, and the linger it runs the more detail it can provide
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Aug 9, 2015, 4:16:58 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info