A relaxing and rewarding experience

I started Path of Exile approximately a week ago and I found it to be incredibly fun. The varying playstyles available really appealed to me. I enjoyed a couple of playthroughs on Normal difficulty setting and actually found myself wanting to advance my character to higher levels.

This is where I became upset you see. I would, by no means, call myself a hardcore gamer, but I do play often. And, may I remind you, my favourite part of Path of Exile was that I could relax after a hard day of work and just plough through a bunch of areas. Imagine my disappointment at finding out I couldn't advance my characters any further because of xp penalties.

At first I thought to myself "Well, maybe the have a super casual league, you know, for people like me?"
No. Is the answer.
So my question is thus: Is there now, or will there ever be a way to progress my characters further, while maintaining the relaxing and fun atmosphere of the earlier levels?
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
You could simply overlevel the zones a ton up to the point where you can do basically anything and still not die.
If I understood you correctly, you are not playing through Cruel or Merciless? You should really try them out, they are mostly relaxing except for end of act4.
My point is that Cruel is not relaxing. I tried it and it was stressful because I had to actually TRY not to die. And that took a lot of the fun out of it. All I'm saying is a super-casual mode would be such a good addition because it would allow people like me to really get into the game more. As it is I finished all 4 acts in a day, and I feel like I'm not getting the most out of this game because of the limitations they put up.
"
My point is that Cruel is not relaxing. I tried it and it was stressful because I had to actually TRY not to die. And that took a lot of the fun out of it. All I'm saying is a super-casual mode would be such a good addition because it would allow people like me to really get into the game more. As it is I finished all 4 acts in a day, and I feel like I'm not getting the most out of this game because of the limitations they put up.

Read a guide and then buy some leveling gear for your character. For a cheap price you can continue to steamroll the game.

Also there's nothing really to get into the game more unless you love theorycrafting, hard content or challenging content (and alot of grinding/farming). So just buy gear and streamroll the game until you get bored.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Jul 31, 2015, 11:51:38 AM
I'm always confused by this mentality.

Why does relaxing = "give me free reigns to die alot without consequence".

Why play the game at all?

If you want a game that easy then Diablo 3 will be better suited.

I'm not a big fan of the XP penalty at really high levels...but most of the time the death is my fault anyway.

This game is not supposed to really be relaxing at higher levels of game play...at least not after patch 2.0.
XP penalties really aren't that bad I think till like level 80 then it kind of hurts. Up until 80 it really doesn't take that long to get the XP back especially in Cruel. Just get some life can never have enough and make sure your resists are capped. Get gear or even passive points that give resists are a good option.
I need a signature to look legit
Last edited by Hunt8722 on Jul 31, 2015, 12:02:27 PM
OP, just look up one of the "beginners friendly" guides on the forum, which won't require GG gear or a lot of preparation, and you should be able to play through to early maps with ease. I think a lot of people are like you too, they log on, do some maps, do some dailies, and call it a day. no hardcore grinding or anything. just be sure to make a little investment (like researching and following a guide) and cruel and merc should be a cakewalk.
Path of exile is a game about mechanics and trying to understand them. If you do so the whole thing will get way easier as you progress :) Since you are a new player you might want to give more details on your build and maybe some could help you and give you tips around the forum. Or you can alway follow guides.
I took a look at your ranger and can see why you're getting annihilated.

First up, you don't have enough resistances. Ideally you should be at 75$ fire/cold/lightning resistances towards the middle of act 4 Normal and then get them up and keep them up once the Cruel resistance penalties come into effect. The game is balanced towards players with 75% all elemental resistances (chaos doesn't count - IIRC devs have stated it's balanced for 0% resist)

Second off, you don't have anywhere near enough defence in your tree, especially life. Evasion's main shtick is that you get hit really hard once in a while so you need the life to be able to not get one-shot. Your entire tree has 14% life allocated (and 12 base life). This is nowhere near enough, ESPECIALLY for a melee evasion character. The evasion/life nodes right near the start and then around Revenge of the Hunted (near acrobatics) are very powerful and will do wonders for your survivability.

Thirdly, your gear is pretty mishmashed. While I get it's a melee ranger, you've taken Acrobatics which is slicing your armour in half to levels where the enemies are pretty much ignoring it outright and you don't have enough evasion gear to prop up your actual evasion rate. I'd look into replacing your gloves especially, but you should consider swapping the boots into an evasion-centric armour/evasion boot (with movespeed, o'course). The armour will still do naff-all, but you'll have the extra evasion rating and it'll be very easy to roll the 2g2r sockets your boots currently have.

All of this compounds into a rippy, unhappy exile. It can be salvaged but you won't have an easy time of it.

Most importantly, don't get discouraged - most people that don't follow a guide mess up their first few characters until they get into the swing of things. My first character had 780 life in act 3 Merciless if you can believe that (base life per level was much lower back then). Could not get past level 63. Rerolled, fixed my mistakes on the way and had a whale of a time.

I'll take a quick looksee at your witch, but I want to get this posted first.

EDIT: Also it's come to my realisation that you're using barely any gems - just a reminder that you can buy gems from tab 2 on potion vendors.

EDIT2: Your witch suffers much the same problems except the mishmashed gear: low resistances and close to zero defence. Energy shield characters have no real mitigation at all which means having a large pool of energy shield is important. Your equipment is not terrible but is pretty low on the energy shield for that point in the game and your lack of energy shield nodes in the skill tree compounds the issue.
If you take the energy shield nodes at the start of the Witch tree and head up to Arcane Focus you'll wind up with 74% increased energy shield plus 34 base ES in 9 passive points. That will kickstart your defences for the near future but won't be enough to carry you to endgame - you'll need to get more.
Last edited by Hemmingfish on Jul 31, 2015, 1:28:45 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info