alt-tab performance hog GTX 980, plz help!

So if there are particular assets on a map i'm playing on, like desecrated ground, burning ground, or the whole malformation map, i will get a huge performance bug if I alt tab out and then in the game.

My GPU usage will go up to 98%, instead of the normal 12-20% and my fps will drop to 30-40 instead of 60.

Everything will get back to normal if i re enter the map ( with a portal) or restart the game.

I don't have similar issues with any other game. I play GTA 5 , Witcher 3 on ultra settings and i don't have similar issues.

I'm using the newest win 10 driver 353.62

components:
i7 4790
gtx 980
16gig ram
850 evo 250gb

any help apperciated.
Don't alt-tab?

Also, I've heard there are issues with the latest nvidia Win10 drivers and you might want to downgrade to 353.30 instead.

You can't really say "other games work" because other games are completely different engines and things. It likely IS a PoE issue, but not sure it's something GGG can immediately find and fix.

For now, my recommendation really is to just not alt-tab. Avoid the thing which causes the issues.
"
Drakier wrote:
Don't alt-tab?

Also, I've heard there are issues with the latest nvidia Win10 drivers and you might want to downgrade to 353.30 instead.

You can't really say "other games work" because other games are completely different engines and things. It likely IS a PoE issue, but not sure it's something GGG can immediately find and fix.

For now, my recommendation really is to just not alt-tab. Avoid the thing which causes the issues.

Hello Drakier, thanks for your post. Actually I remember having this issue back in ambush league when i was playing on my Old laptop ( GT755m SLI ).

The main issue that it's actually impossible playing poe without alt-tabbing. I think of: music, forum, poe.trade, and lots of more stuff.

when i said " other games work well" i tried to associate to the fact that i'm sure it's not a hardware issue, since if i had a faulty chip it would likely produce artifacts , fail stress test, fail Ocing etc..

I will try to revert driver to see if it gets better, however i doubt it honestly.
I'm having the same problem with my GTX 670 (stock settings) using drivers 353.30. I play in borderless windowed mode and alt-tab often during gameplay to browse the wiki on my second monitor. I have been monitoring GPU-Z during gameplay and the gpu load fluctuates between 80-100% when certain particle effects and assets are on-screen. The temps start to rise beyond 80° (fan power @ 100%) because the gpu load is causing power consumption to rise continually until throttling kicks in. I then need to log out or return to highgate to allow the gpu load to stabilise. My fps remains @60fps for the most part however. This problem seems to be exponentially worse in Act 4.
Same issue here (GTX980 as well, still using 353.30 drivers since I heard that the latest had even more issues). Like the OP said, happens mainly with certain particle effects on maps (in particular any of the desecrated/burning/shocking grounds) but also with other effects like arc in some cases.

No real solution other than trying to avoid those types of maps until GGG fixes this. Very annoying when the FPS drops to 20-30 although I think the FPS is very spiky on this card regardless of the effects in the maps.
Personal feedback thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1345148
The most terrible are the new maps..
On malformation i get 25 fps after alt tab XD... Also village ruin is terrible too, but nto as bad. I really hope they will fix this. Thing is i don't even have throttling since my card maxes out on 69C so thats not an issue in my case

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info