[2.0.1][Tempest] Bloody Explosive Arrow Build (271% Life + 12.3% Life Regen)

Before anything, this build was inspired by RaizQT and ZiggyD.

Sup fam, Nemo here with an explosion arrow build.

Are you tired of playing melee and getting dumpstered?
Are you hyped that thornflesh is gone?
Do you enjoy walking away from explosions like a badass?
Do you like cheap builds?
I gotchu.

Pros
Spoiler

Does A LOT of damage.
Amazing AOE spread.
Great Clear Speed.
Very Tanky. (254% Life via Tree +7.8% Life regen with frenzy charges)
No worries about mana management. (You don't have mana!)
Blood Magic

Cons
Spoiler

Does too much damage, reflect can be an issue if one becomes careless even though thornflesh has been removed.
Since we have no shield, we do not block, and our physical damage mitigation will decrease as we level up.
Blood Magic.
No auras.
This guide has no flashy, eye-catching, notice-me-senpai pictures.

Passive Trees

Softcore

Hardcore
Spoiler

15 Points

29 Points

45 Points

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwAA8pebXaiaWlJKyG6qtfI1kv6P2L1N4_4KplfyRbc-OuGDzDwtxq7E9iftr6cGDhzO1HwrUAn2Dc3-VHKp9zLqGHasz36tjfjrFHHZfIIH8kEOPN-_20_gwyW8

67 Points

80 Points

108 Points

Full Build with EE

Full Build with Unyielding instead of EE

Bandits
Spoiler

Oak -> Kraityn -> Kraityn / Oak / Skill Point

Gearing Up
Spoiler

How to start
Spoiler
You don't need a 6-link, a 5-link, not even a 4-link if you're struggling that bad. You want a weapon with a high attack speed base, like a thicet, but it's preferred if you saved up for a quill rain.

Weapon: High attack speed bow / +3 Bow / Quill Rain

Helmet: Life>Res>Armor>Strength/Dexterity/Int

Chest: Life>Res>Armor>Strength/Dexterity/Int

Gloves: Life>Res>Armor>Attack Speed>Strength/Dexterity/Int

Boots: Get the Blood Dance Sharkskin Boots.

They are a pretty large part of the build and boost our survivability by a lot. They are pretty cheap, bought these for less than 4 chaos. Get another pair of boots with the following for elemental weakness maps if you are not capped with Blood Dances on. Movement Speed>Life>Res>Armor>Attack Speed>Strength/Dexterity/Int

Jewelry: Life>Res>Stat Requirements>Attack Speed>Fire Damage%>Armour%

Belt: Life>Res>Armour>Stat Requirements>Strength

Quiver: Life>Res>Attack Speed>Life On Hit

Jewels: Life>Damage Mods(Fire Damage / Area Damage / Projectile Damage / Elemental Damage>Quality of Life Mods (Stats / Resistances / Attack Speed / Reduced Mana Cost)

Across all of these pieces, you should easily be capped on resists, over capped even. Maybe even ready for elemental weakness curse maps.

After capping out on resistances, push for chaos resistance. Having low chaos resistance can get you killed via degen, or one shot. Eventually you can slide some chaos res into your gears' DMs as you progress and save up money.

Gear as of 7/31/15
Spoiler

Build Explanation
Spoiler
I wanted to make a ranged character that was very tanky, did a lot of damage, and would work with the gear that I have obtained in the league so far. Explosive arrow filled that void. Has amazing tankiness via passives getting 258% increased max life. We also pick up 3.8% life regeneration on the tree, with four frenzy charges and blood dances, we kick our life regeneration to 7.8%. We basically kill in packs guaranteeing maintenance of our frenzy charges via killing, but when up against the longer fights against certain rares, and map bosses, we would lose our frenzy charges, but that's where the frenzy setup kicks in keeping our charges, and regen up as much as possible. Frenzy is now a MORE AKA MULTIPLIER to damage giving us 16% MORE damage. This scales all forms of our damage, including the ignite and burn damage from our explosive arrow setups.

When killing packs, you usually only need to stack the pack twice or three times and its guaranteed to one-shot, somethimes including the rare. For single target, stack the mob 5 times, use a curse, or get them against a wall and explode all over them :^).

Gems and Links
Spoiler

Single Target Explosive Arrow 4L/5L/6L

Explosive Arrow > Slower Projectiles > Concentrated Effect > Fire Penetration/Life Leech > Fire Penetration/Life Leech > Chance To Ignite

Pack Clearing Explosive Arrow 4L/5L/6L

Explosive Arrow > GMP > Increased AOE > Fire Penetration/Life Leech > Fire Penetration/Life Leech >Faster Attacks/Slower Projectiles

Frenzy Maintenance 4L

Frenzy > GMP > Curse On Hit > Flammability

CWDR Setup 1
CWDT > Immortal Call > Enfeeble > Increased Duration

CWDR Setup 2

CWDT > Summon Flame Golem > Molten Shell > Life Leech / Life Gained On Hit

Open Gem Slots
Flammability
Enduring Cry
Blink Arrow

Explosion Arrow Mechanics
Spoiler

Explosive Arrow is a ranged attack skill that fires an arrow which acts as a short duration fuse. Applying additional arrows to an enemy extends the duration. When the target dies or the fuses expire, the arrows explode, dealing fire AoE damage to nearby enemies. The AoE radius is proportional to the number of arrows upon death.
Charges: The damage from Explosive Arrow charges will not show properly on the character screen because the damage is not being caused by the skill itself but rather the charges applied.

The charges deal secondary area projectile fire damage. They do not do spell or bow damage, and by extension they do not do weapon or attack damage either. This means the following modifiers do not apply:

Life Gain on Hit
Quill Rain's reduced weapon damage
Weapon elemental damage
Duration: Increased skill duration passives or supports will increase the amount of time before charges will detonate.

Piercing: Explosive Arrow projectiles which pierce will not leave charges (and explode) on each target they pierced. Only on the target where the arrow gets stuck will the charge explode.

Misses: When an arrow misses a mob the arrow will still explode where it landed in the terrain.

Radius: Base radius before any charges is 15. Each charge will add +2 radius. % area modifiers are applied after adding the fuse radius to base (e.g. 5 charges with 40% increased area = (15 + 5*2) * 1.40 = 35 radius).

Useful Links and Bibliography
Spoiler

Path of Exile Wiki
Spoiler
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_Wiki

RaizQT
Spoiler
http://www.twitch.tv/raizqt

ZiggyD
Spoiler
http://www.twitch.tv/ziggydlive

POE.TRADE (The ebay of POE)
Spoiler
http://poe.trade/

Videos
Spoiler

72 Coves Map (Casual AF)

Frequently Asked Questions
Spoiler

Q: Is Kaom's good for this build?
A: 500 Life + Fire damage sound good?

Q: Is Carcass Jack good for this build?
A: Gives life, trash res, gives no armor. For softcore players sure, take it if you want, looks like poop in a hardcore perspective for this build.

Q: How did you level?
A: Firestorm + Flametotem

Q: Is Devoto's Devotion good for this build?
A: Its based on preference and availability of gear, if you can't afford a decent helm with life and resists and get some chaos res or dex, sure, take Devoto's.

Q: Why don't I do the damages I was promised?
A: Are your gems leveled? Does Explosive Arrow have quality? Are you cursing? Are you playing in a party? Are you decently progressed in the passive tree? If all of these questions are answered with a yes, I don't know what you're doing wrong.

Changelog
Spoiler

8/25
Added FAQ section.

7/31

Updated, fixed some typos, added more explanation, added the leveling trees.
8/1

Added full tree with EE or Unyielding. We can have up to 10% regen now!
8/2

Edited the full tree, specced out of shadow, went into marauder because we still have too much damage. Now we have 271% Life and up to 12.3% Life Regen! Also updated some gem links, we use a COH setup in our GMP Frenzy instead of LGoH Chain

Going to sleep, will keep working on the guide when I wake up. Enjoy! Any questions? Ask me on here or on stream!
http://www.twitch.tv/bestnemomia

Last edited by xSigma on Aug 25, 2015, 2:36:29 PM
Reserved just in case. :^)
gonna try this
what did you use to level?
Last edited by aient on Jul 31, 2015, 4:41:29 AM
"
aient wrote:
gonna try this

Flame totem + firestorm

Just whatever can get you through the grind to level 38+
is there any chance at a ranger version of this? im lazy and have an unspecced 84 ranger that i want to get a nice build for lol
"
aient wrote:
gonna try this

Lightning Arrow + LMP, just way too strong to level up with.
Laihduttakaa.
"
aient wrote:
is there any chance at a ranger version of this? im lazy and have an unspecced 84 ranger that i want to get a nice build for lol

I'm afraid not, its too far of a stretch for a ranger to reach the templar and marauder areas in the tree. Maybe a softcore version, I'll theory craft one in my spare time :)
very interesting, i'll try this in tempest. thanks
i try in tempest too, starting tomorrow :-)
Updated, fixed some typos, added more explanation, added the leveling trees.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info