What's the selling point for going pure evasion?

Also I've always been fond of the Vaal Grace combo with Acrobatics.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vaal_Grace
Evasion is actually in the same boat with armour. They are both useless if not combined with flat physical mitigation.

Flat physical mitigation, on the other hand, is amazing. I have a char with ~1000 armour (which is basically zero) who tanks phys damage like a boss.

The problem with the current meta is not armour being better than evasion (which it isn't), it's pigeonholing everyone into fortify, arctic armour, chaos golem, enduring cry and lightning coil if they want to survive consistently.

The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
lots of players that relied on cwdt+ec+ic combo to trivialize content

it works no more

"

If I use, say, a physical crit wand shadow, I need all the crit I can get. I end up with 2500 life, need a ton of lifesteal on my gear, blood pact, use blood rage, I melt myself. I only have like 40ish% chance to evade because I don't have enough crit or life and need all I can get.

your phys wander (lvl 64) has low life because you took a gear without life (amu, ring and shield - just 14hp from all 3 total) and skipped life prioritizing offense. 'you need all the crit you can get'.. well, you need life first and defenses

also using Rat's armor (that lowers your max fire res, increases fire damage taken etc) is dangerous. using vaal pact at that low damage levels is also 'interesting'. vaal pact is for the top-end damage spectrum

all others seem to forget that both EV and AR have its issues as they were purposedly created unequal

AR - handles phys damage
EV - handles all attacks

the common part of these two is pretty small. with evasion maps with +80% damage added as fire + 90% damage added as lightning are far less scary than for pure AR character. a lot les crits makes the 'spikes' a lot less frequents etc

judging by chars of most of people complaining here most never got to maps with such mods to experience how limited AR in reality is. new formula is better for AR but for most players (here and in general) the difference is pretty hard to notice. most also follow the 'sheep' model and repeat complaints of others without having personal experience on the subject

checking profiles makes it quite clear
It is true that Enduring Cry, AA or Chaos golems are still very very good ideas for evasion.
Taste of Hate for the wealthy. You want to ensure against the 1HKO as always.
Oh and use Seething flasks. You'll want to spike your recovery just as fast as you take damage.

Evasion requires a particular mentality and approach that you need to adopt. It's not about involved infighting or facetanking. It can do those things, but it needs to do those things by setting the terms of engagement beforehand.

For example, a Jade flask lets you sit and dps when a pack rushes a ranged toon. By popping the flask, you've automatically forced a percentage of the mob pack to miss, particularly if you sidestepped for a half-second before attacking. By the time the Jade wears off, most of the pack is dead and there is no spike damage to be had.

If there is a rare with a phys aura surrounded by blues, then the blues die first. Spike damage gone. Then you can finish him off at your leisure and using whatever facetank mechanics you need for the moment. If he has power crit, you now have the time to examine that and judiciously apply Enfeeble to him. If he's curse immune to boot, then you'll have to kite a bit.

You need to be attentive. You want Deadly/Savage mobs to be Enfeebled or mostly dead before they come to blows.

I should mention by this point that my EK build can reach offscreen. Which means I can explode most mobs before it ever comes to the infighting blows. And it's not something that'd would have been possible if the reflect mechanics hadn't changed in 2.0.
Last edited by DeviantLightning on Jul 31, 2015, 2:53:42 AM
"
Bars wrote:
Evasion is actually in the same boat with armour. They are both useless if not combined with flat physical mitigation.

Flat physical mitigation, on the other hand, is amazing. I have a char with ~1000 armour (which is basically zero) who tanks phys damage like a boss.

The problem with the current meta is not armour being better than evasion (which it isn't), it's pigeonholing everyone into fortify, arctic armour, chaos golem, enduring cry and lightning coil if they want to survive consistently.

And also Taste of Hate on top of or in place of LC.
"
"
Bars wrote:

and your PERSONAL experience? because that lvl 57 char you have surely did not experience the top end content. people love to formulate strong opinions on subject they 'feel' strongly about yet they have no personal experience whatsoever
Immortal call works great if you got endurance charges. I use warlords to generate (there are other ways). CWDT setup works same as before.

Here is example. I'm also evasion. 40% dodge 46% spell dodge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEeQ1L04NR8&t=4m43s

Git R Dun!
"
sidtherat wrote:
"
"
Bars wrote:

and your PERSONAL experience? because that lvl 57 char you have surely did not experience the top end content. people love to formulate strong opinions on subject they 'feel' strongly about yet they have no personal experience whatsoever

Why do you assume it's a strong opinion? It's a single sentence post. It only amounts to the "Huh, that's odd" that one might say to themselves if they saw someone dressed as Santa in July.
"
Bars wrote:

I think that is the build you're supposed to be using. The others are too powerful, so can't be allowed...
The pure evasion build's selling point used to be just that. Evasion.

Yeh you're reasonably squishy for a melee character, but the odds of anything your level, or a cple levels above you (much less anything below) managing to hit you were low, especially if you managed to keep your evasion near the 60% mark.

The trade-off was less dps, and generally less life and/or less elemental resis.

But then they nerfed ondar's, and (seemingly) up'd the damage on just about everything. So now what used to be a decent build route for melee-based characters has been screwed over, and everybody is now going armor/hp.

-Zombie#1- "That guy has passed right over us 3 times now..shouldnt we be popping out to attack?"
-Zombie#2- "No way, you saw what he did to our friends. Lets just stay down here where its safe.
Besides, you heard how angry he is..keeps shouting something about needing the last 2 to clear.."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info