What's the selling point for going pure evasion?

I'm at around 13-14k evasion and 4.5k hp right now, and I can't do any content that has high physical AoE damage. I'm Lvl 83 and those falling cages from Lvl 68 map brutus could take me down in 2 hits. Haku missions with falling rocks? Forget about it. Battering tempest? Yeah right. Piety beam in Act4? Not! Even! Once!

This might not be that big of a deal on non-hardcore leagues, but I currently see not a single strong point for EV-based builds. I don't care if I evade 95% percent of stuff, the second I do get hit I might die. Compare that to armour where you have greatly reduced and steady damage incoming so you'll have a way easier time to react. Also most armour based builds tend to have strong life regen, so they might not even feel some hits that would be lethal for me.

So any knowledgeable player could give me some insight into why I shouldn't head for Iron Reflexes (by wasting lots of skill points, cause I never planed with that in mind)? Is that really a mandatory keystone now for all builds who start on the right side of the tree? I thought this build diversity mantra was still a thing...
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Iron reflexes isn't going to save you either.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
So I can basically stop playing this char and salvage all my gear? Cause I'd rather do that than ripping to some tiny piece of rock falling from the ceiling, all the while I can take a full-on headbutt from Voll.

This can't be the only solution, there must be some way to make Evasion work against phys damage.
"
MoarStuff wrote:
I'm at around 13-14k evasion and 4.5k hp right now, and I can't do any content that has high physical AoE damage. I'm Lvl 83 and those falling cages from Lvl 68 map brutus could take me down in 2 hits. Haku missions with falling rocks? Forget about it. Battering tempest? Yeah right. Piety beam in Act4? Not! Even! Once!

This might not be that big of a deal on non-hardcore leagues, but I currently see not a single strong point for EV-based builds. I don't care if I evade 95% percent of stuff, the second I do get hit I might die. Compare that to armour where you have greatly reduced and steady damage incoming so you'll have a way easier time to react. Also most armour based builds tend to have strong life regen, so they might not even feel some hits that would be lethal for me.

So any knowledgeable player could give me some insight into why I shouldn't head for Iron Reflexes (by wasting lots of skill points, cause I never planed with that in mind)? Is that really a mandatory keystone now for all builds who start on the right side of the tree? I thought this build diversity mantra was still a thing...

+1
Honestly the game right now well from my perspective is like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_dy9a8ElAQ
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
Honestly the game right now well from my perspective is like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_dy9a8ElAQ

Ahahhah thanks, that's great!
The right side of the tree needs way more life steal nodes. With so few life nodes or regen lifesteal becomes to go to way to keep yourself alive. Why does the OTHER side have more!? It already has a @#$% ton of life/regen/armor.

If I use, say, a physical crit wand shadow, I need all the crit I can get. I end up with 2500 life, need a ton of lifesteal on my gear, blood pact, use blood rage, I melt myself. I only have like 40ish% chance to evade because I don't have enough crit or life and need all I can get.

Now, my melee tank using the left side of the tree. Round up all the health nodes, some armor, few damage nodes. 4000 life, 50% physical mitigation plus fortify, plus 5 endurance charges, 6%+ liferegen, still good clear speed not to mention bosses are way easier to deal with as I slap life gain on hit to my cyclone and faceroll them.

So, which would you choose if you want to have an easier time? Is there honestly any upside to going the other way and being a glass cannon when this game now punishes glass cannon builds so greatly?
Going armour isn't that great either man, too much spike dmg in this expansion imo.

96 Templar (RF)
65% estimated phys reduction via armour + 3 Charges
6.8k Life
Over 13.5% Life regen (over 1000 life per sec)
88 Fire Resist (so using flask puts me at 98%) So I get most of my life regen as when I push a ruby flask

You would think with that you would be safe with that, but nope!!! I got wrecked by the jungle valley boss, went in thinking no way she gonna kill me...but it happened, and doing anything over lvl 75 I noticed huge spike dmg, often taking me down to 10-15% life, and out doing my ruby flasks healing.
Last edited by justinmm1988 on Jul 30, 2015, 9:08:29 PM
The selling point of evasion is to not roll evasion or anything else that lacks 7 endurance charges + fortify... Which has been the only viable thing since beta for Awakening (thanks Jay, I mean Chris Wilson).

They clearly thought it all out seeing as how they're the game devs who came up with the system for stunlock, status ailments and damage. Because damage got upped, now u can get stunned easier. But nevermind that, cuz fortify and melee. Who cares about hybrids and casters, Jay Wi- I mean Chris Wilson decided that its best if everyone plays fortify melee.

I'm sure your evasion build will look nice on a shelf somewhere. Maybe one day they'll actually have a use for all those cool looking passive nodes in that giant tree of "ALL THESE FUCKING NODES ARE USELESS EXCEPT FOR ENDURANCE CHARGE + STR".

But good try though on attempting to have your own 'unique' build. GGG supports diversity.
I play pretty much nothing but casters and have no sympathy for anybody who thinks caster defenses was just the 1.3 MoM meta.

Level 87 going on 88 in Tempest doing Acrobatics EK dual wielding projectile speed wands and a 4L.
End Charges, AA and Grace, but doing alright. I haven't done Merciless Malachai, but I doubt a lot of mitigation/melee players are either.

I went Acrobatics because it's pretty much the simplest defense for dual-wand casters going for dps. And it's all out by those projectile speed and pierce nodes. Armor caster probably wouldn't be crazy but it's hard to stack armor cheaply without a shield slot available.

Life/ES is now a thing in the meta. I don't think people have quite caught onto that yet though. ES is built to take spike damage.

Evasion requires attentiveness, but so does arguably everything else. You don't intentionally tank one-shot mechanics. You pay attention to auras and crits. Enfeeble is a godsend for that sort of thing.
Last edited by DeviantLightning on Jul 31, 2015, 12:32:19 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info