Windows 10

I was wondering why my TortoiseSVN folder overlay icons weren't showing up after upgrading to Windows 10. After some digging, I discovered that Windows 10 can only handle 15 such icons at any one time.

If you aren't familiar, the icons I'm talking about are the little tick icons that appear on synced folders when you use programs like Dropbox or Google Drive.

This means there's a hard limit on the number of these kinds of programs you can use before the icons fail to display and you don't know what states any of your files are in.

OneDrive (formerly Skydrive) is such a program, and it not only comes bundled with Windows 10, but it cannot be uninstalled from Windows 10 without jumping through some absurd hoops.

So about half a dozen of these folder overlay slots taken from near the start of the list that are used up, even if you never use OneDrive, and it can prevent icons from your other programs from showing up.

In order to get around this limit, you need to go into the registry and manually rename all the icons to appear before the OneDrive icons.

As best I can tell there's no way to get around this without using regedit.

Other than that it's been mostly good so far.
Gameplay & Level Design
Need help? Contact support@grindinggear.com
"
Dan_GGG wrote:
I was wondering why my TortoiseSVN folder overlay icons weren't showing up after upgrading to Windows 10. After some digging, I discovered that Windows 10 can only handle 15 such icons at any one time.

If you aren't familiar, the icons I'm talking about are the little tick icons that appear on synced folders when you use programs like Dropbox or Google Drive.

This means there's a hard limit on the number of these kinds of programs you can use before the icons fail to display and you don't know what states any of your files are in.

OneDrive (formerly Skydrive) is such a program, and it not only comes bundled with Windows 10, but it cannot be uninstalled from Windows 10 without jumping through some absurd hoops.

So about half a dozen of these folder overlay slots taken from near the start of the list that are used up, even if you never use OneDrive, and it can prevent icons from your other programs from showing up.

In order to get around this limit, you need to go into the registry and manually rename all the icons to appear before the OneDrive icons.

As best I can tell there's no way to get around this without using regedit.

Other than that it's been mostly good so far.

So what you want to tell me is: Even though this Windows is fucking people up the ass with a thorny dildo all around, at least it looks like a 10?
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
Last edited by Sneakypaw on Aug 25, 2015, 1:53:07 AM
the restriction on the number of possible icon overlays is a long time thing which plagues win since many incarnations.

i too got problems when i used tortoiseSVN the first time 5 years ago (kudos to te guys still offering it for free).

upgrading to win10? really? i don't think i need a official spyware upgrade. taking the time and money for disabling all those telemetry services isn't worth the small gains it brings. of course you need to install it for testing, my condolences :)

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Windows 7 forever <3. Windows XP never forget RIP.
I rode Win98 to the bitter end. Then rode WinXP up until a bit under a year ago.

Going to ride Win7 off into the sunset as well. Hopefully MS releases something better by the time extended support ends. If not, it'll be a full time Linux flavour for me. :)
"
I rode Win98 to the bitter end. Then rode WinXP up until a bit under a year ago.

Going to ride Win7 off into the sunset as well. Hopefully MS releases something better by the time extended support ends. If not, it'll be a full time Linux flavour for me. :)

Personally I like Debian after testing an ArchLinux fork and SUSE. Debian got some really nice, well-maintained repositories and a huge community. But for everything Linux you need to do your homework on what hardware is well supported by the community or vendors themselves.

So far I still feel that Linux is only a business solution, hope that Valve, engine- and API-developers push hard enough to change the development environment in the next years. Really hope that Vulkan takes off and gets to be a real competition against DX12.

As for Win10: I'll wait and see how the first service pack will change the picture. I am so far not really impressed by Windows 10 and DX12 is a non-argument to me right now.
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Aug 26, 2015, 7:51:57 AM
Found this funny reddit comment about Windows 2.5.0 :D
https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/3hhlxl/git_for_windows_250_released/cu7n8mx
PoE-TradeMacro - https://github.com/PoE-TradeMacro/POE-TradeMacro/
ExileTrade - http://exiletrade.github.io/
Windows 10 has a boot time of like 10 seconds without SSD for me. They are ultra quick, quicker than my MacBook Pro(which fortunately i got with University funding, because it's trash), it has the best interface for me than any other software so far, and i gained a few FPS on all games.

I did not have ANY issue with changing the font and other similar things i've read about here. The privacy thing does bother me, but it has already been happening for years through means of communication and FB, so what to do. So sticking with Win10 is a no brainer for me.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
"
Poutsos wrote:
The privacy thing does bother me, but it has already been happening for years through means of communication and FB, so what to do. So sticking with Win10 is a no brainer for me.

it's not only about you but also about the other people whose contacts you openly publish.

it's currently cool to have your life pubished all over the internet, there is a time coming where it is cool when the internet says nothing about you. and if you have nothing to hide you have lived the wrong life, sorry.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
for me windows10 is a good option if you dont wanna use win8 or win8.1

momentarly i'm using w7 on my desktop and w10 on my notebook. both works quite good :)
greez fisiqx

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info