GGG, any plans to fix fake dual wielding?

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
if you actually fight dual wielding with 2 different types of weapon in real life how do you fight? If you have say a really short sword and a long sword, or a sword + dagger, do you alternate hits with them constantly? I feel like youd use your longer bladed weapon for the majority of attacking with the other to block with and take occasional very close stabs.

Exactly. Which is why if you're only going to attack with one weapon, the block chance should be the only bonus you get, plus the stats on the off-hand weapon.

You should only get the attack speed and damage bonus, if you actually have the skill to attack with both weapons.

We shouldn't talk about "real life" when it comes to dual wielding, because in real life no one really dual wields. Some do, of course, but you don't really get any advantage, except for, you guessed it, to block with.

Remember when GGG explained their decision to make armor become less effective to bigger hits, with their reasoning being "imagine a man in full heavy armor. Throw a thousand toothpicks at him, it would be nothing. Now take the tree that the toothpicks are made from and swing at him, the armor would mean nothing."
This dual wielding issue is the same. Thats kinda what makes PoE great, because GGG actually try (to the best of their abilities) and get real life concepts to work in game.
but that comes down to why u get the dual wield bonus, are you not faster without a shield? I feel like you could be.
"
whitified wrote:
idk im probably gonna get flamed for this opinion considering how popular fake dual wielding is nowadays but are there any plans to fix this?

I can't be the only one who finds it weird as hell that the best way to dual wield now is to hit with one weapon and not hit with the other weapon (eg. reave with sword + stat stick axe) or in other words, the best way to dual wield is to not dual wield at all

Its like a huge slap in the face to all the real dual wielding fans like me who has been attacking with both hands since the beginning of time and now find ourselves handicapping our own dps because we want to, you know, actually dual wield.

i'm agree with you mate, i play many arpg's and i could not believe when i see this. my first char in this game was a melee DW, after that i make Spectral Throw build, ST uses just one weapon but benefits from both weapons, so it's better than carriyng a shield, a lot more attack speed, a lot more crit chance, and a lot more pdpds I equip my char with a second dagger, and bam HUGE dps boost.
Admit... it's not right, doesn't feel right.

PS: My main dagger has high dps, but slow APS, so i put a very faster ambusher in the other hand and was amazing, FAKE DW will be shut down for the good of the game.
"This Is A Buff" (Bex_GGG august 30, 2016)
Last edited by diegodgo87 on Jul 30, 2015, 1:30:41 PM
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
if you actually fight dual wielding with 2 different types of weapon in real life how do you fight? If you have say a really short sword and a long sword, or a sword + dagger, do you alternate hits with them constantly? I feel like youd use your longer bladed weapon for the majority of attacking with the other to block with and take occasional very close stabs. Taking alternating hits with each weapon continuously doesnt seem like it would be THE go to way to fight with 2 weapons, might happen in some situations but theres absolutely situations where the second weapon is going to have a utility type roll. As an attempt to model something real I feel like its a legit thing no?

Indeed, in real life an offhand weapon was almost exclusively used to feint and parry, usually with a large crossguard, notches to catch blades or prongs like a sai. It was also used almost exclusively in duels because lugging a shield around was impractical, unsightly and unworthy of a gentleman, it was a shield replacement, not extra offense.

That said, I was also referring to dual wielding in game terms, as a classic Orc proverb goes 'one axe - good, two axes - better', game logic dictates that going akimbo is nothing short of a dps overkill.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Jul 30, 2015, 1:38:10 PM
@ OP.

Well, if we're going to wander down this dead end road, might as well take it all the way.

Here's an offhand 'weapon'. You're not swinging with it, but it's adding deeps AND providing an extra block boost.

Should GGG fix this anomaly as well?
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
sidtherat wrote:

Cyclone
Blood magic gem
Fake dual wielding

none of these things are in any way broken or in need of a fix. cyclone has been over nerfed, its outclassed by other melee skills now like reave. Even the old cyclone wasnt as good as reave is now before they took of the initial pulse, lowered its aoe and gave it a minimum distance.

people claimed that before when i complained about how absurdly strong block is, that 75% block/spellblock dumbs down the game yet was easily achievable, that acro + block is bonkers, that ondars had no penalty and was an auto-pick, that leech is a dumbing mechanic turning offense into defense without downside etc etc

all gone

cyclone and BM gem are next on the list. because your 'words' are in stark contrast with ladder-board and abundance of cyclone builds. spin to win. it is easy. it is safe. it is easy to build and has incredible clear speed for the cost and 'skill' (a joke) required to pull it off

ps i forgot to add 100% uptime res flasks with surgeons. surgeons is still with us but buff nodes from the tree are gone
other melee skills are faster and safer for clearing maps, cyclone will always be fun and popular but youre out of touch if you think its the best performing melee skill right now, it really isnt.
I dont like ur opinion. Its not like "nerf this becouse it trvializes contend" - witch other builds do better. Its plz nerf so i dont feel so bad about my build - i mean wtf. What does it matter to u? There will always be better builds (unless u play the coocki cutter ones), so what? This might be changed if they overhaule 2 Weapon fighting someday, but why change just for the sake of it? Just becouse it bother u for some reoson the does not make any sense.

I doent see why it matters to u if its onother 2Dual Wield Variant, SRS, FB or Cyclone. But hey lets ask for a nerf on a build that is not Tir 1 ruin it for the other players who startet it. Just becouse. I really dont like this.

(At least wait until the next Ladder Reset)
"

Here's an offhand 'weapon'. You're not swinging with it, but it's adding deeps AND providing an extra block boost.

Should GGG fix this anomaly as well?

I have no idea how magic and spells work in real life so i have no comments :)
"
joscha wrote:
Its plz nerf so i dont feel so bad about my build - i mean wtf.

No, its "plz nerf this because its bad design and i'm guessing not what was intended."

Because I'm pretty sure no game developer wants dual wielding to be about not dual wielding.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info