GGG, any plans to fix fake dual wielding?

"
AnimatedGamer wrote:
Play pretty much any ARPG out there and you will find similar situations where yes, magically in fact, you need 2 good weapons to do good DW DPS. It is not rocket science by any stretch of the imagination.

You realize this has got nothing to do with cost, right?

This is about "why on earth is the BEST way to dual wield, is to actually attack with only one weapon?"
"
AnimatedGamer wrote:
Path of exile is practically FORGED on using mechanics to your benefit. This is like saying pre-2.0 people were cheap for using LMP/GMP to shotgun and do more DPS over actual damage buff support gems.

Dont really care which one of you is right/wrong, but this quote actually seems to support the OP, which I find funny, because you are the one that disagrees with him the most. :)

What I mean is, GGG changed the shotgunning, to be more in line with non-shotgun skills....
"
Ratnyd wrote:
"
AnimatedGamer wrote:
Path of exile is practically FORGED on using mechanics to your benefit. This is like saying pre-2.0 people were cheap for using LMP/GMP to shotgun and do more DPS over actual damage buff support gems.

Dont really care which one of you is right/wrong, but this quote actually seems to support the OP, which I find funny, because you are the one that disagrees with him the most. :)

What I mean is, GGG changed the shotgunning, to be more in line with non-shotgun skills....

They changed the mechanic to better allow them to branch out and develop new skills. That didn't mean that shotgunning was something to be looked down upon. Shouldn't 5 weaker incinerates not do as much damage as 1 really strong one? In theory maybe, but that's not how it worked, and no one looked down on you for being smart enough to augment your ability in a way that produces the best results.

~Az
Last edited by AnimatedGamer on Jul 30, 2015, 3:55:16 AM
"
AnimatedGamer wrote:
The game isn't about your DPS, its about playing how you want to play. If you want to play with 2 weapons, have at it. Just because you don't have the currency to support 2 good ones is no ones' fault but yours.

The problem with this argument is that even if you have 2 identically good weapons you're STILL better off using a stat stick for anything that isn't Cleave or Dual Strike (which are not very good skills to use right now).

Last edited by Zed_ on Jul 30, 2015, 3:49:51 AM
And to be honest, my responses probably have been a little off-base, mainly because OP proposed his statement the way he did. While I do understand his concerns, and thematically it would make sense to do more damage with 2 weapons being used as opposed to 1, I disagree with killing diversity, which is how OP's first post seemed to unfold. He wasn't asking IF GGG meant for skills to develop into the meta they are currently being used. He merely called it 'fake' and slated it as a bug impending fixing.

I disagree with that wholeheartedly, hence my responses.

~Az
Well you could argue that the current state of things is killing diversity more. It's rather intuitive that the reward for wearing a stat stick should be just the stats, an offense oriented replacement to a shield. The bonuses provided by wearing a Death's Hand, Soul Taker or Doryani's can already be competitive with the dual wielding bonuses in themselves. Plus you don't have to find 2 good weapons, so in practice this mechanic simply kills builds that want to use both weapons for attacking.

Meh, I'm pretty sure that this mechanic is intended. Does it limit build diversity? Nope. Does it kill builds that use both weapons to attack? Nope.

Or are you telling me that dual doryani builds never existed? Lol.

You talk about the current state of things killing diversity. This mechanic isn't new, stat sticks aren't new, it's limited to a few selection of skills. If you're saying that with two equal weapons you find yourself unable to get significantly more damage, then you're just building it wrong.

This state of diversity is better than ever before. At least people are playing dw, as compared to before when it was 'considered' to be 'non viable'. What we are currently witnessing is the fotm that comes with people copying popular streamers' builds.

I don't know why you think that this is the best way to dual wield. You can't really say that without trying traditional dual wield. And by that I mean playing a properly optimized build to endgame with endgame gear at level 90+.

I've played both styles, and both are better in different situations. Neither is 100% better than the other.
For try, for see, and for know.

This is a buff
"
Zed_ wrote:
The bonuses provided by wearing a Death's Hand, Soul Taker or Doryani's can already be competitive with the dual wielding bonuses in themselves. Plus you don't have to find 2 good weapons, so in practice this mechanic simply kills builds that want to use both weapons for attacking.

Which is why i suggest: WARNING: EXTREMELY UNPOPULAR OPINION
removing the 20% more physical attack damage and 15% attack speed if you cannot alternate weapons, or use both weapons, for any specific attack.

You still gain the the block chance, which makes sense, and the stats on the stick.

This will mean theres an advantage to using 2 legal weapons (the damage and the attack speed), and theres an advantage to using 1 legal and 1 illegal weapon (the stats on the stat stick).
This also means that the stat stick, is actually a STAT STICK. EDIT: As of now a stat stick is not just a stat stick, its a STAT & MAD ADRENALINE RUSH STICK

Im not gonna say this is gonna make things more realistic (any talk of "dual wielding" and any realism goes straight out the window)
But I will say this makes the most sense.

But of course, this will be a nerf, and everyone hates nerfs, so im ready to be flamed LOL

Last edited by whitified on Jul 30, 2015, 5:36:03 AM
"
Etherfire wrote:

I don't know why you think that this is the best way to dual wield. You can't really say that without trying traditional dual wield. And by that I mean playing a properly optimized build to endgame with endgame gear at level 90+.

I've played both styles, and both are better in different situations. Neither is 100% better than the other.

Level 81 DW reave character on Warbands now. Dual wielding swords just because i actually wanna, you know, dual wield.

Keep patting myself on the back and telling myself "im dualing wielding swords for the implicit crit multi"
but really who am i kidding?
1 sword + 1 stat stick, whatever the stat stick is, is always gonna be superior. Always. By the way you can get global crit multi on an axe too.

Ice crash, reave, and any skill that allows only certain types of weapons, will always be better off with
1 attacking weapon + 1 stat stick
vs
2 attacking weapons

when dual wielding.
Out of the long list of 'broken' game mechanics there are only 3 that left:

Cyclone
Blood magic gem
Fake dual wielding

All previous items were fixed or removed so i hope for a timely fix for these three.

Concept of stat stick is great and is known from othe games but it should have a clear cost/drawback associated with it: you want a weapon for its perk? (Like bleed or onslaught or something extra) sure. But expect to pay with raw dps for that perk. Currently skills like reave are best used when used in a 'stupid way. Sadly that is also the best way (that doesnt make it any less 'stupid').

Will ggg fix that? Probably. It allows for too much power for far too cheap and is at the same time 'best' way of doing something. All previous items with these perks are gone..

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info