Using different "channels" in the same gateway

Is it possible to have a preffered channel while using the same gateway?

Depending on the one I land, my latency varies from 100ms to even 300ms. Using the Washington, D.C. gateway atm, but it happens with any of them.

Just exiting and reentering an area will change the "channel" I'm connected to, and so the latency varies with it.

The real big problem is when one of these "channels" is somewhat laggy, and the connection hangs, latency spikes (1000+ms).

Allowing players to choose a preffered channel to connect to would solve this issue.

Some screenshots to show what I'm talking about. Notice the latency on the corner. These were taken within seconds of each other, just exiting and entering the instance:

On a side note: CAN'T WAIT FOR THE BRAZILIAN GATEWAY!!! =)
Last edited by darksoulse on Jul 29, 2015, 11:01:07 AM
It's not a channel, but an instance server.

They have a lot of instance servers within a gateway (and you're not actually guaranteed to get an instance server in that region anyway).

You can see which instance servers you are connecting to at the bottom of the client.txt log file after connecting to it.

Keep notes about which you connect to, and which work and which don't.

GGG would likely be interested in that information if you found a correlation with "bad" servers.
I tryed to monitor that, but it still doesnt make sense.

All instance servers are stable atm, but:

2015/07/29 13:06:50 7450109 b3 [INFO Client 6832] Connecting to instance server at 158.85.40.112:6112
2015/07/29 13:06:50 7450312 f3 [DEBUG Client 6832] Connect time to instance server was 203ms

2015/07/29 13:07:22 7482578 b3 [INFO Client 6832] Connecting to instance server at 158.85.40.112:6112
2015/07/29 13:07:22 7482687 f3 [DEBUG Client 6832] Connect time to instance server was 109ms

That's what I don't understand. It's the same map, same instanced server ip. I don't know if they can control where I'll land, but the latency is almost double comparing the 2 times it connected. Both are stable at around the ping shown, so it wasnt just some momentary latency variation while connecting.
I wouldn't look at the time to connect numbers.. some of that could easily be due to nothing more than general internet latency or server load.

What you want to monitor is the latency while in an instance/map and what servers those are. See if a specific server seems to behave badly in relation to others.

It might even be worthwhile to run WinMTR traces to the servers and see how they compare.. both the "working" ones as well as the "bad" ones.
Thats why I said those were stable latency, not just some momentary latency spike. I entered an area, checked the latency in game, checked the Client.txt ip.

In resume: the same ip behaves differently regarding latency. I supose some of the machines in that particular gateway are under heavy load and some are pretty empty, and its doing a poor job redirecting players to the less busy ones.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info