90% - > OH FUCK DEAD

"
diablofdb wrote:
"
Berylstone wrote:
"
diablofdb wrote:
I see a lot of complain about the lost xp when you die in this game.

But I do appreciate it, as an old gamer that grown up with a NES. Video games back then were so short they could be completed in 10-30 min most of the time. So the devellopper had to make the games REALLY hard and frustating to give them lenght.

I'm used to theses hard games and rarely see games that punish the player for messing up nowaday, and I miss that. There are so few games that dare punish the player just a little bit now that I enjoy little things like this :) it remind me of my childhood

You enjoy being punished? That's weird to me.

The problem with the experience penalty on this game is it's too harsh. One death - which can often result from lag or a freak accident - and you can literally lose weeks of work at higher levels. That's unacceptable to anyone who values their time. So what it ends up doing is encouraging players to avoid dangerous situations (such as skipping bosses etc.).

So the reality is the experience penalty doesn't add any challenge to this game at all. In fact: it does the opposite and causes players not to challenge themselves with dangerous content because the risks simply aren't worth it.

It's why I quit this game in the past and why I'll probably end up quiting it again in the future. I do believe this game would be more enjoyable without the experience penalty. In the end that's what games are suppose to be about: having fun not being punished.

yeah I know it sound weird said like that. Let's rephrase it and say simple I do enjoy challenge and hitting walls in games getting stuck somewhere and need to think to progress further.

And there is a lot of ppl in POE who also enjoy theses challenges as much as me, but what I do find weird is how many ppl would prefer facerolling the entire game being godly powerfull and able to sit and facetank litteraly ALL bosses without dying :)

Everytime there is something that pose a challenge in the game there is ppl crying about it and I find is rather sad. Challenges is what's keep me coming for a game, once I've did everything it's no more fun.

Yes but you are missing the point of my post.

The experience penalty causes players to avoid challenges on the game. So it has the opposite effect.

If people didn't loose over a week's worth of progress because of a single death when they died they would be more willing to engage more challenging content and not resort to just facerolling.
"
Berylstone wrote:

Yes but you are missing the point of my post.

The experience penalty causes players to avoid challenges on the game. So it has the opposite effect.

If people didn't loose over a week's worth of progress because of a single death when they died they would be more willing to engage more challenging content and not resort to just facerolling.

Yes I do understand your point.

And,
This is where I do not agree with you :)
You see this as something that causes players to avoid challenges
I see it as the challenge itself, as progressing in the game is a challenge.

A mechanic like that, can stop a player from progressing thus creating a challenge to overcome and force the player to use ruse, and talents and time to get better and avoid deaths to go further into the game.

The end content of the games, the very bests maps and highest character lvl should be for the ones who really worked hard to earn it, not for everyone. It should be an achievement by itself, something that you could be proud of, not something that could be easily achieved by everyone. Again is the game become challengless I can swear most players will end leaving, because the more the game become casual, the more most ppl will overcome every single challenges. And once everyone have overcome every challenge the game has no points of being.

I'm still playing this game because I've not achieved everything and even if many ppl get frustated I swear it's the same for them even if they don't know it. If it was too easy to beat the game, get to lvl 100, beat the highest maps and Atziri, there is a lot of ppl who would have quitted the game long ago.

p.s I really mean it I've ripped my lvl 77 witch on tempest league 1 hour ago And I'll start over trying to do better :)
"

Really, I_No, what were you expecting? :)

4 real , you should get 10 lashes for making this thread as you posted this pic in your last thread, no shit you going to die DURP !!!!!!

+ you can just buy your way back the EXP by buying top tier maps with all that swag yha got what's the problem hear ?
Just a sec let me grab a beer...@#*@ Ok how did I die this time

Learn the rules, it's the only way to exploit them.
Cant relate :`(...

My build is too good to die, but progression after 88 is such a pain with current maps system, im gonna pass and wait for fix.

But in meantime gotta do the guide and start lvling something new but first theorycrafting for 2 weeks xD..

IGN: PojzonAbyss
[3.2] Immortal Indigon Poet's Pen Hirophant - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2129766
[3.1] Yamata No Orochi - Oni-Goroshi Jugg http://poeurl.com/bHB9
[2.4] The True Queen Of The Forest - Poison LA/BR Pathfinder http://poeurl.com/M6u [Retired]
Last edited by eragon1111 on Jul 26, 2015, 3:15:09 PM
"
Alternalo wrote:
Actually i am sure now that the game has a hidden mechanics that generates the worst possible enemies based on the first character who enter the map, and this dramatically increase if you're close to lvl-up. You'll think this is a joke but it seems like not.

We've experimented with my friend in previous leagues when i was coc and he was a ts ranger, every time he entered first he got physical reflect, vulnerability and everything wrong that can happen to his build, whenever i entered first i got elemental reflect and lower resist curses.

Also when i am close to lvlup like you said 90% or more xp the game will throw all its shit on your face, devourers dropbears vulnerability all kind of offscreen leapslam all at once, and if this is not enough it generates the worst possible surprise exile. If you manage to get that level the game suddenly turn into easy mode, and you'll get skeletons and slow zombies until you hit 70-80% again.

EDIT:
A note of exiles and how this thing really happening, when my friend was close to lvl90, we managed to get 4 Xandro in the same map, after he somehow survived that, it generated a box with 200 devourers to make sure he'll be dead in no time.

I believe the same thing. When I'm about to level it's almost guaranteed I will run into an exile, and it's usually that summoner bitch. I also run into more boxes guarded by exiles and corrupt areas with ridiculous mods. It appears rngesus enjoys drinking our tears and the pre-leveling tears taste especially good.
Arguing on the Internet: What's the point when you can't punch them in the face when they really piss you off?
"
Berylstone wrote:

You enjoy being punished? That's weird to me.

The problem with the experience penalty on this game is it's too harsh. One death - which can often result from lag or a freak accident - and you can literally lose weeks of work at higher levels. That's unacceptable to anyone who values their time. So what it ends up doing is encouraging players to avoid dangerous situations (such as skipping bosses etc.).

So the reality is the experience penalty doesn't add any challenge to this game at all. In fact: it does the opposite and causes players not to challenge themselves with dangerous content because the risks simply aren't worth it.

It's why I quit this game in the past and why I'll probably end up quiting it again in the future. I do believe this game would be more enjoyable without the experience penalty. In the end that's what games are suppose to be about: having fun not being punished.

without punishment a videogame that is ment to challenge you(r charakter) is redundant.

and whenever i see someone talking about "weeks" of work i get sad that this person doesnt know other people. because weeks of playtime equates to a different amount on a per player perspective.
so yeah if you play 1 hour a day then you lose weeks. sure. i dont care.

"So the reality is the experience penalty doesn't add any challenge to this game at all."

it does. it challenges you to play carefully, avoid death and play your charakter in a way that you can play as fast as you can while still being tanky as possible.
this game is ment to be a hardcore game (not to be mistaken with the "hardcore" permadeath mode)
if you want to level up yo play by the rules. no death zerging in merciless kk?
You just stop playing period. The game is a leveling game, not an endgame.

Because there is no endgame.
I enjoy the challenges that make me think. Although, i generally play hardcore which is much less forgiving when you die. I do enjoy that standard also has a death penalty that is harsh when you get to higher levels. Whenever you hit that wall and can't move forward it makes you stop and rethink your strategy, and there are a lot of factors that you have to consider. I would be bored to death if i could just throw some shit together and level up like it's nothing.
There can only be one Oatmeal.
I have found very many ways to get myself killed in PoE so far, some were extremely dumb too and made me facepalm
Yet another example of I_NO chasing bling, this time in the form of a Jewell socket to adorn herself with even MORE bling.

The more I think about it, the more I think that the jewell sockets were specifically put into the game to allow I_NO to get even more decked out, if such a thing is possible ;D

GG GGG

Existence is infinite, a weave of live and dead, beyond the understanding of the many mortal threads.
Embrace death to honour the lost, no fear in life no matter the cost. With one of all we are and all of one we trust, throughout past, present and future...... be just.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info