Please reconsider Loot Sharing!

Free For All is a bad loot system. It interrupts combat because people have to grab loot, it negatively affects people with higher latency, and it negatively affects ranged players. I dont see any positive attributes to a free for all loot system in a co-op environment.

The default league should be more co-op friendly, and if people want a cut throat feel to loot, leave it in the cut throat league only.
Free for all (even with timers) forces anyone who, in the mid of a large battle watch his name on an item with timer, start running to grab the item before the timer expires to avoid losing it.

If that's not the definition of bad, archaic design, I don't know what is.
Last edited by nathandim on Jun 29, 2012, 3:44:00 PM
I am going to go against the grain here with some people.

I like loot sharing, but, I feel we need a better timer. 15s would be nice.

As it stands right now a High Level character can "rush" areas for you, and can clear them, taking only what was agreed upon in return (like orbs of their choice). This is an old fashioned, enjoyable activity that would be stifled by split loot.

In split loot, say I am the lvl 100, and I want high orbs and uniques that drop in the terraces when I rush a group of 5.

If loot is not split I have to trust them, trust them to pass them over. In shared loot I can just be ahead of the group and wait on timer expiration.

I had the most fun I have had in an ARPG in years last night.

OldManWithABow rushed Ledges Cruel for us, and stocked us up on loot with his 200%+ quantity 160%+ quality. He took what he wanted and we got to pick up anything else.

I got 21 pages of yellow rare loot.

I had more fun than I have had in years, it reminded me of old times with good friends.

If you implement split loot, please allow a toggle for "Share Loot" so that type of gaming can still exist.

Choices are good. Removing something long seen as fun (being rushed for loot in return for the higher getting their payment, be it gems from the forge in D2, or orbs here, both fun) is not.

Alexis
*smiles*
Last edited by Merlinus_Celidonus on Jun 29, 2012, 6:53:29 PM
Agreed, I really want an instanced set of loot.
FFA loot system is the best system. Players in a group need to honor some type of, "pass if it is an upgrade for you, else, first to grab it wins"

Obviously if it is an item you personally need, the person should let you have it, if they don't, don't group with that person.

If it isn't an item you need, but just want...well, better luck next time looting.

And again, if it is the same person looting first over and over and not sharing anything, once again, don't group with that person.

All of the problems of a FFA loot system can be worked out among the players.
"
Brodhi wrote:
FFA loot system is the best system. Players in a group need to honor some type of, "pass if it is an upgrade for you, else, first to grab it wins"

Obviously if it is an item you personally need, the person should let you have it, if they don't, don't group with that person.

If it isn't an item you need, but just want...well, better luck next time looting.

And again, if it is the same person looting first over and over and not sharing anything, once again, don't group with that person.

All of the problems of a FFA loot system can be worked out among the players.

You vastly overestimate the decency of the average player in a F2P game.

The problems of an FFA loot system can be worked out by the players, but the problems of an FFA loot system can also be worked out Dev-side by allowing a choice between party loot, lootmaster, rolling, or allocated (not timed) looting in addition to FFA.

Again, in a small community as PoE has had in the past months, up to four or even three weeks ago, FFA looting worked fine. But the game's population is growing very rapidly and public parties are worse now than they were then and with a growing pop, will only get worse.

I like meeting new people in public parties, not just cloistering myself in with friends. And then what if my friends are playing on alts, or farming MoC/Maps/Endgame while I'm leveling an alt?

FFA has its place, but so do other systems. The timer is a good stopgap/compromise for now and maybe it is all the concession that GGG wants to make. I understand if that's the case, but as for now, I feel the want to state my opinion.
Last edited by King_Nikita on Jun 29, 2012, 10:51:31 PM
I am not a fan of shared loot and here's why. If you are a ranged char with a melee ally and fighting a group of enemies and you see an item drop that you want, you have to stop fighting and worry about running over to the item to grab it before the other guy can.

Even if you are both melee, it distracts from the fighting because you have to grab loot as fast as you can. Individual loot allows you to finish up the fight then collect your spoils after the fact without worry.

Also if you see an awesome unique item drop and you go to grab it and your inventory is full, you don't have the time to open your inventory make space and grab your item before someone else can snatch it up. You lose out on your item. This means you always have to make sure you have space in your inventory at all times just so you don't lose out on that item.

Edit: This is a late edit but I just want to say forget what I wrote earlier, I have grown to love the current system and I can't think of playing any other way.
Last edited by Methodical_Prodigy on Dec 28, 2012, 1:46:48 PM
It seems odd to me how many folks in these "loot system" threads mention trust. "Play with people who you trust." In my experience, playing with people I trust makes FFA even worse. Say I'm playing with my girlfriend and I see something nice on the ground, so I ask her about it:

"Did you leave that for me?"
"I... Oh whatever, you can have it."
"Wait, that sounds like you actually wanted it."
"No, it's fine, you can have it."
"Seriously, I don't want it if you wanted it."
"Well of course I wanted it, anyone would. But you can have it."
"No, no, I didn't mean to take it from you."
"Look, it's fine. I guess I've been picking up too much loot."
"No you haven't."
"Then why did you think I left that for you?"
"Because you didn't pick it up."
"I was still fighting the snake thingies."
"Aha! So you DID intend to take it!"
"Just pick up the darn thing already! ... Well?"
"Uh... I'm out of inventory space."

Instanced loot solves a lot of problems with the ones you love.
"
Artophwar wrote:
Free For All is a bad loot system.

This. As long as this is all there is, I won't have any part of co-op.
"
jawsofhana wrote:
"
I have to admit Diablo 3s loot system is the best thing that game has going. It is also the best loot system in an ARPG to date. Everyone is grouping up in D3 with no fear of losing loot to greedy grabbers. Its great.

It ruins fun, excitement and the economy. As D3 is pay to win, the economy doesn't really matter. But in PoE it will. (as it's not pay to win)

What?
How does not having to worry about vultures swooping down and picking up everything yellow ruin the economy?
D3's economy, is horrible for other reasons. Namely the fact that you can go multiple hours upon hours before you get anything but vender trash.

Without a similar system, it's " omg a yellow, grab it before he does".
Outside of Baal bot runs, I played solo in D2 because of this, and I will pretend co-op doesn't exist if it's gonna be like that in PoE.
Last edited by DamageIncorporated on Jul 1, 2012, 1:27:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info