[2.0] Poison Arrow, Tanky. HC/Atziri

Alright so this is my new build based off of poison arrow. there isn't a whole lot done differently here than other poison arrow builds, but have a look see.

Im currently recording and uploading a crap ton of videos for this build. i really enjoy it so im going to be doing all the videos i can think of including all Act 4 bosses, and every map i can get my hands on, etc.
so keep watching this thread if theres certain scenarios you want to see this build handle and feel free to suggest something.

Build Time!
Essentially my build plays like this. I throw a poison arrow into a group, i run around that group to keep them slowed and inside the cloud....profit.
If im up against bosses or rares i'll throw on my vulnerability curse for extra dmg, otherwise its unneeded with my level of gear.

skill gems first!

SKILL GEM Setups

Main Damage

My main damage dealer is obviously poison arrow. There are a number of benefits, such as being able to shoot once-twice and just running away, as well as not having to deal with reflect AT ALL or even most on hit effects such as corrupting blood.

The support gem choice here isn't very original in the least, but its what works. These are also completely unnecessary, as i'll show in some videos.
In order to max out PA potential however, you'll want these gems including lvl 21 PA and lvl 4 empower. These are expensive, but completely a luxury. Slower Projectiles for its MORE dmg component is amazing with PA, as well as Pierce (and Drillneck) for its massive boost to projectile dmg which also scales with PA cloud dmg.

Utility

First up for utility is my LA curse on hit to easily and quickly apply vulnerability whenever i want to whatever i want. its spread is massive due to the nature of LA (chains to 3 enemies) and its much more mana efficient than manually casting. You can swap this curse to Warlord's Mark if you want/need a endless stream of endurance charges, but at lower lvls and lower gear tiers you'll appreciate the extra boost in dmg.

Next up is my CWDT setup which includes Temp Chains and Arctic Breath on GMP. This ensures whenever i take damage everything will be SUPER slowed down to nothing so that i can run away with my increased movement speed. It also keeps enemies inside my PA clouds for prolonged durations as a side bonus. I get to stay alive longer, they get to die easier. Its a win-win.

Now, i also run a solo frenzy socket in order to maintain my frenzy charges reliably, and to gain max charges as soon as i load into new areas. Frenzy is very important in this build because of its change to boost your damage by 4% MORE per charge. This is also an extreme boost in PA cloud dmg the more frenzy charges you can get. I can hold 9 charges which gives me a boost of 36% MORE damage.

Auras/Buffs

Clarity is essentially a must. You will need copious amounts of mana regeneration for a regular ole ranger since PA can get pretty mana intensive, very quickly.
Grace is used for extra evasion which is then transformed to armour via Iron Reflexes. Also basically a must because it grants almost 20% physical reduction just by using this aura alone.
Arctic Armour is used here because of its significant change of being used on reservation instead of a drain to your MP pool. This allows any character to free up some mana cap and use AA for an essential physical and fire reduction in damage by %.
Enduring Cry is kept separate and used manually during real times of trouble to quickly boost defenses and reduction %.

Nothing too out of the ordinary here.

GEAR CHOICE

This is the greatest part about this build. You do not need some crazy hyper expensive end game Harbinger Crit Bow to get by or to get damage. All you need is a +3 lvl bow which is actually quite easy to craft.
I crafted this bow by myself in approx 1 hour of farm and trying for a total of about 100 alterations, 5 regals, 50 jewelers and 30ish fusings. All i did was play through Act 4 regular maps and pick up every single bow that dropped. I would then Alt/Aug them all until i got a +1 level of gems OR +2 level of bow gems and whatever other mod. Then i regal'd it. If it failed, i sold it and tried on the next pickup.
It took me 5 bows to land the +3. I then through a couple yolo exalts its way to see if i could hit atk spd or resistances, and master crafted whatever i wanted/needed on the last mod. Simple.

Drillneck is the next most important piece of gear here. Not really required, but definitely helps a lot in damage. Because PA cloud damage receives bonus from projectile dmg, this is a great and simple boost.

As you can see i picked up Kaom's. This goes nicely with my passive tree and all the HP% i get, plus blood dance. Its cheap now (8ex on standard) and i don't require more sockets so to be tankier, i grabbed it. Any chest will do though, really.

Blood Dance boots. These are also a HIGHLY recommended item for this build because again i end up with high amounts of life and the regen provided from frenzy charges is amazing compared to the now changed life leech mechanic, and life gain on hit, etc. The chance to gain frenzy charges on kill is also amazing and very generous to my lazy playstyle of hitting as little buttons as i need to.
I have corrupted mine to run another frenzy charge, because obvious.

Devoto's Devotion i use for its crazy amount of defenses it provides (total of 1094 base armour) and its amazing movement speed boost, which is important for rangers and any ranged play.
Movement speed is actually one of the most underrated defense mechanisms in the game, in my opinion. Its becoming a lot more well received with the recent patches (vaal and awakening) because things are getting to the point where you need to avoid damage, or die. Movement speed allows us to avoid damage, so naturally...

Passive Tree

Highlights...
As many frenzy charges, projectile damage, and health as you can muster. Its necessary to pick up the aura cluster near ranger start in order to run all three clarity/grace/AA without having to use alpha's, so do that.
Regeneration and movement speed is your friend, get what you can. My next stop will probably be another endurance charge, or possibly just straight to more HP.

I haven't tested it YET but from the utility of this build and its passive tree im assuming its HC friendly. its very safe since you can shoot and run, high HP, high sustain by way of regeneration, and ranged.

now we'll touch on the stats.

OFFENSE

Offense Tab Picture
Just kidding

Theres no point in posting a picture of my offensive stats. They are non-existent in the stats page. In order to see what type of damage i can do you'll have to watch the videos.

I will be posting multiple videos with sub-par gear in order to demonstrate the damage possibilities without GG gear.

DEFENSE

This is great.
HP of 6,284.
My base physical reduction is 63%. with 3 charges its 74%. with 3 charges and flasks running its 90%.
Arctic Armour is stacked on top of that, which at its current level is at 12% LESS damage for physical and 11% for fire. No this does not mean i have 101% physical reduction. It still remains 90%, but the initial hit is reduced by 12%, i believe after resistances are factored. It isn't as beneficial as an evasion character running AA, but its still helpful. The slow generated is just gravy.

My base movement speed is 45%. With max frenzy charges its 63%. With my quicksilver flask its a max of 132%.
My base regeneration is 226.2 with my current max HP. With max frenzy charges its 791.8. This is a much better and reliable source of sustain than the new life leech, if you ask me. Generating charges is easy with the auto-gen from the boots, and sustaining them is easy with the frenzy gem to refresh your timer whenever you need to.

Other than capped resistances (which everybody should and will have) theres nothing really more to add here.

Pros

Very lazy style of play. Hit and run.
Few button presses to remain tanky. Most is automatic.
Very cheap and easy to be an effective build.
Absolutely no issue with reflect.
Tanky and reliable sustian.
Can, as far as i've tested, run every map mod. Some just not ideal (like no regen)

Cons

Expensive to maximize. (25ex lvl 4 empower, 20ex lvl 21 PA, 8ex Kaom's, etc)
Great damage potential, but there is a limit.
Others im sure, i'll fill in if i come across them.

Videos
Stay Tuned

That is that. Im quite surprised how the build turned out. I did not anticipate it to be as tanky as it is and im well pleased.
Honestly if i were to play any new leagues i know this is the build i'd be started out with. Its cheap, easy, effective, and safe.
Last edited by xMustard on Jul 25, 2015, 11:29:52 PM
hey nice guide. i have a similiar pa build on tempest, going for acro instead of iron reflex and starting as scion n take the life wheel.
i do like ur choice for cwdt choice, might see if it better than the classic end.cry immortal call setup.
but..
IS artic armour any good? its damage reduction only apply when stationary, which is standing still, which mean do no good for us since pa build is walking around all the time.
what about culing strike is 40 % more dmg aply to posion cloud ?
"
xslasherz wrote:
hey nice guide. i have a similiar pa build on tempest, going for acro instead of iron reflex and starting as scion n take the life wheel.
i do like ur choice for cwdt choice, might see if it better than the classic end.cry immortal call setup.
but..
IS artic armour any good? its damage reduction only apply when stationary, which is standing still, which mean do no good for us since pa build is walking around all the time.

well right now enduring cry doesn't work with CWDT, so its definitely better than that. EC/IC is much better spent manually casting now. well it was always better manually casting before but now its guaranteed.
i personally don't bother with IC because its spell dmg that'll get the kill on high lvl/geared players, unless you're fighting atziri trio.

i still think arctic armour is good. the reduction applies when stationary, but thats usually the only time you're able to get hit anyway. the biggest benefit is having AA on vs those titty bitches.
when you're not standing still its because you're actively dodging things. you can also slow things by your trail of ice.
you can choose not to use AA by all means, but im not really sure what you'd replace it with. best thing i guess is to take the 3 passives out of the aura reservation, but its right there anyway. just depends what you think is more useful. 3 passives or situational AA

however, if i ever 6L my bow i'll socket increased AOE. depending how often i need to shoot PA and what the mana cost is then (should be 63), if i require more mana pool for spam then i'll stop running AA and probably run a much higher lvl of clarity

"
volish2k wrote:
what about culing strike is 40 % more dmg aply to posion cloud ?

so the bonus damage from culling strike will apply to the cloud, but it will not cull. it is also not 40% more dmg, its only 22% increased damage. not significant at all to merit a socket.
Good guide only thing i could suggest is picking up thicket bows as a base for crafting, pretty easy now there's loot filter. Also if you have a prefix remaining (after getting +3) elreon multi mod and master crafting would be the highest dmg for your buck.
Last edited by Fhark on Jul 27, 2015, 1:38:52 AM
ok. so i've made a fairly large update. i've optimized the build i think a lot more, im just going to summarize here right now then edit the main post when i can, cause i gotta get goin to bed.

anyway here is the new tree. i cut out some damage, since i already have so much already, in order to throw in more life and survivability. essentially got 29% more life, more resistances, and more mana/life regen for 100% inc dmg.

other changes. you can still use kaom's, or carcass jack. right now im testing with carcass (5500 hp and 750 regen or so) to see if things are okay without kaom's boost in HP. i think it'll be alright, except MAYBE vs things like atziri.

heres the thing, with the extra sockets you can really add in some awesome dmg and utility. i can run blink arrow again on faster attacks so its SUPER fast cast, great mobility.
i can also run rallying cry over clarity. rallying cry will add even MORE regen than clarity (essentially useless to run clarity) regardless of the amount of enemies nearby, its a static gain, but you ALSO gain damage depending on amount of enemies nearby. this is difficult to judge especially with poison arrow, but its an increase non the less. this will make up for probably quite a bit of dmg lost from the tree.

i can also run a golem now. right now running inc dmg/hp/resists. honestly with these changes, i think im much better off. seem to have more utility, better mana management, more regen tho lower flat HP (not by a whole lot) without kaom's, and seemingly about the same amount of dmg.
with kaom's however im much higher hp and regen, its amazing.

new gear/gem setup im testing right now
Spoiler

edit: how do ppl get the master craft damage over time on their bow? right now i have lightning resis cause i needed it, but don't now, so i want the damage over time. is that from leo or something? i don't see it anywhere, not even on wiki
Last edited by xMustard on Jul 27, 2015, 2:22:16 AM
Yeah its lvl 3 leo i have it so if u want to contact me ingame, (you bought the frenzy necklace of me) happy to do it.
Hmm looking any dmg mod is a prefix which u already have so its not possible.
Last edited by Fhark on Jul 27, 2015, 2:33:31 AM
Can I kindly ask you to remove the HC from title of the original post?
You are playing it on SC and on HC it would be a nightmare to get those uniques / rolls, making the build very hard to accomplish.

Or 21/20 PA or level 4 empower.

You just wasted 5 minutes of my time and probably many more people will fall on the same "trap". The tittle is misleading.
Breach build - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1772123
Last edited by nmc09331 on Jul 27, 2015, 7:11:53 AM
"
nmc09331 wrote:
Can I kindly ask you to remove the HC from title of the original post?
You are playing it on SC and on HC it would be a nightmare to get those uniques / rolls, making the build very hard to accomplish.

Or 21/20 PA or level 4 empower.

You just wasted 5 minutes of my time and probably many more people will fall on the same "trap". The tittle is misleading.

just because this is the equipment i have doesn't mean the build doesn't work without it, which is the point. it does and i'll be demonstrating videos to that effect.
the only unique i'd consider required would be blood dance for the regen. the others don't effect your survivability in the least. you can use any chest, you can use any helm.

im heavily considering starting a char in HC just to try this build out, now that they are stabilizing the servers even more. though poison arrow is already a very popular and well known build in HC because of its ease and safety.
What about bandit reward?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info